C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Electric fan switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 09:22 AM
sdenhupjr
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric fan switch

I inherited my late grandfather's 1990 convertible. For some reason he installed a dash mounted toggle switch that when flipped on, the electric fan comes on at the radiator. I am guessing for some reason a temperature sensor that would cause these fans to come on is no longer working. Has anyone come across a similar problem, or fix? I can remember to turn on the toggle switch when driving (and off when parked), but my wife is surely going to forget it.

What is the mechanism that activates the electric fans? A sensor somewhere or is it computer related?

Thanks
Old 05-22-2018, 09:28 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by sdenhupjr
I inherited my late grandfather's 1990 convertible. For some reason he installed a dash mounted toggle switch that when flipped on, the electric fan comes on at the radiator. I am guessing for some reason a temperature sensor that would cause these fans to come on is no longer working. Has anyone come across a similar problem, or fix? I can remember to turn on the toggle switch when driving (and off when parked), but my wife is surely going to forget it.

What is the mechanism that activates the electric fans? A sensor somewhere or is it computer related?

Thanks
Intended '90 control is ECM function. Without knowing why your Grandfather did the manual switch I'd think it best to return to 'intended' and diagnose first and make decisions.

Do you have the FSM (Factory Service Manual) for your '90?
Old 05-22-2018, 09:47 AM
sdenhupjr
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Intended '90 control is ECM function. Without knowing why your Grandfather did the manual switch I'd think it best to return to 'intended' and diagnose first and make decisions.

Do you have the FSM (Factory Service Manual) for your '90?
I do have the service manual... I need to do some reading.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:52 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by sdenhupjr
I do have the service manual... I need to do some reading.
If you've both 'red' books you're all set.

Book 2 8A-31 for cooling fan operation wiring and most diagnostics in pages following schematic. Book 1 6E for further diagnostics.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 05-22-2018 at 09:53 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Electric fan switch

Quick Reply: Electric fan switch