'96 wheel and tire question - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

'96 wheel and tire question

Reply

 
 
 
Old 06-10-2018, 07:13 PM
  #1  
TheGreek!
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Apr 2016
Posts: 305
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default '96 wheel and tire question

I just picked up my second '96 collectors edition on Friday, an LT-4 six speed car. My other one is an LT-1 automatic. When I put new tires on the LT-1 car it had 8.5 inch wide wheels on the front and 9.5 inch wide wheels on the back. The LT-4 car has 9.5 inch wide wheels all the way around (factory GM collectors edition wheels, not aftermarket wheels). The LT-4 car came with the original window sticker saying it came with 255/45/17 tires on the front and 285/40/17 tires on the back. Those are the tires for the 8.5 and 9.5 inch wide wheels so I'm assuming that someone swapped out the 8.5 inch front wheels of 9.5 inch wheels sometime in the past. Or did the LT-4 cars come with 9.5 inch wide wheels all the way around from the factory? I don't know, if someone with an LT-4 car knows what they came with from the factory please let me know. If someone did put the 9.5 inch wheels on the front will it cause any issues having 9.5 inch wheels on both the back and the front? The tires on the LT-4 car are shot (it has the 285/40/17's all the way around) but before I buy new tires I want to be sure that having the 9.5 inch wheels on the front with 285/40/17's wont cause any handling or steering issues before I buy them. I don't think it will but I'd rather ask the people on here that would know for sure. Any help is appreciated.
TheGreek! is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 07:54 PM
  #2  
WVZR-1
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2003
Location: Charles Town WV
Posts: 17,118
Thanked 933 Times in 896 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TheGreek! View Post
I just picked up my second '96 collectors edition on Friday, an LT-4 six speed car. My other one is an LT-1 automatic. When I put new tires on the LT-1 car it had 8.5 inch wide wheels on the front and 9.5 inch wide wheels on the back. The LT-4 car has 9.5 inch wide wheels all the way around (factory GM collectors edition wheels, not aftermarket wheels). The LT-4 car came with the original window sticker saying it came with 255/45/17 tires on the front and 285/40/17 tires on the back. Those are the tires for the 8.5 and 9.5 inch wide wheels so I'm assuming that someone swapped out the 8.5 inch front wheels of 9.5 inch wheels sometime in the past. Or did the LT-4 cars come with 9.5 inch wide wheels all the way around from the factory? I don't know, if someone with an LT-4 car knows what they came with from the factory please let me know. If someone did put the 9.5 inch wheels on the front will it cause any issues having 9.5 inch wheels on both the back and the front? The tires on the LT-4 car are shot (it has the 285/40/17's all the way around) but before I buy new tires I want to be sure that having the 9.5 inch wheels on the front with 285/40/17's wont cause any handling or steering issues before I buy them. I don't think it will but I'd rather ask the people on here that would know for sure. Any help is appreciated.
If the "Certification Label' and the 'Tire Placard' on the driver door matches then you can consider that as 'as built' and your assumption of replaced is correct.

What might be interesting is to determine that the wheels are GM/OE originals. If original GM/OE wheels in the 2d window of the wheel clock-wise from the valve stem would be a raised 'JWL' cast into them. If the 'JWL' is missing then the wheels aren't original GM/OE.

Many run 285's X 4 - that isn't unusual.

The SPID label in the storage compartment could be used to 'validate' the build.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 06-10-2018 at 07:55 PM.
WVZR-1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:10 PM
  #3  
TheGreek!
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Apr 2016
Posts: 305
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post
If the "Certification Label' and the 'Tire Placard' on the driver door matches then you can consider that as 'as built' and your assumption of replaced is correct.

What might be interesting is to determine that the wheels are GM/OE originals. If original GM/OE wheels in the 2d window of the wheel clock-wise from the valve stem would be a raised 'JWL' cast into them. If the 'JWL' is missing then the wheels aren't original GM/OE.

Many run 285's X 4 - that isn't unusual.

The SPID label in the storage compartment could be used to 'validate' the build.


I should have looked in the big folder of stuff that came with the car, along with the window sticker was a copy of the build sheet. It definitely came with 8.5 inch wheels in the front and 9.5's in the back so that means that someone swapped out the front wheels sometime in the past. Here's the build sheet and window sticker:







TheGreek! is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:12 PM
  #4  
TheGreek!
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Apr 2016
Posts: 305
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

By the way, on item number 71 on the build sheet is says "special package Z15". What is the Z15 package?
TheGreek! is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:30 PM
  #5  
drcook
CF Senior Member
 
drcook's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2016
Location: N.E. Ohio OH
Posts: 1,361
Thanked 181 Times in 166 Posts
Default

Z15 - Collector edition appearance package

also as far as wheel sizes go, look for th SPID label as WVZR-1 said above

QA0 - Styled aluminum wheels, 17 x 8.5"
QA1 - Styled aluminum wheels, 17 x 9.5"
QA2 - Styled aluminum wheels, 17 x 9.5" front, 17 x 11" rear
QB6 - Styled aluminum wheels 17 x 8.5" front, 17 x 9.5" rear

https://www.corvetteactioncenter.com...o/8496rpo.html

Looking at the label for my 1996 LT1, you can see my car shipped with 17 x 9.5 on all four corners


Last edited by drcook; 06-10-2018 at 08:32 PM.
drcook is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:06 PM
  #6  
SDF
CF Senior Member
 
SDF's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2007
Location: Columbia Missouri
Posts: 884
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default

A Z51 car would have come with 9.5's on all four corners with 275's
SDF is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:56 PM
  #7  
turbobuick33
CF Senior Member
 
turbobuick33's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2003
Location: Naperville il
Posts: 205
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

A few weeks ago, I bought a 96 CE LT4 and the rear tires are 275 on backs, which I thought are the correct size in the rear.

The Greek, how many miles are on your CE LT4? And how much did you pay for it?

Last edited by turbobuick33; 06-11-2018 at 04:58 PM.
turbobuick33 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:51 PM
  #8  
WVZR-1
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2003
Location: Charles Town WV
Posts: 17,118
Thanked 933 Times in 896 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by turbobuick33 View Post
A few weeks ago, I bought a 96 CE LT4 and the rear tires are 275 on backs, which I thought are the correct size in the rear.

The Greek, how many miles are on your CE LT4? And how much did you pay for it?
Check the certification label on the 'drivers door' it would have the correct information. If a '96 had 275's on the rear 'originally' ALL 4 would have been 275 and the car would have had the Z51 option.

SPID would show XAU and YAU SPID for 255/285 I believe XAA and YAA
WVZR-1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:57 PM
  #9  
TheGreek!
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Apr 2016
Posts: 305
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by turbobuick33 View Post
A few weeks ago, I bought a 96 CE LT4 and the rear tires are 275 on backs, which I thought are the correct size in the rear.

The Greek, how many miles are on your CE LT4? And how much did you pay for it?


It has 106,000 miles on it, I got it for 5200 bucks. Heres some pics of it:











TheGreek! is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:09 PM
  #10  
MatthewMiller
CF Senior Member
 
MatthewMiller's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2015
Location: St. Charles MO
Posts: 1,440
Thanked 195 Times in 165 Posts
Default

Although your car came with 8.5" front wheels, there is no reason not to run 9.5" wheels. The reason GM went with the narrower fronts for base models was to reduce tramlining. As noted, the Z51 handling package went with the wider fronts. A previous owner must have replicated the 285/40/17 tires that came stock on the rear of that car. These are 1/2" taller than the 275/40/17s that came on the Z51. You could go with that size and have way, way more options to choose from for new tires. IMO the shorter looks a little better, too.

BTW, one thing that immediately catches the eye in your under-hood pics is that someone converted this car to individual coils. This is essentially a way to reduce the reliance on the the Optispark distributor. This may or may not be a desirable thing, depending on several factors.
MatthewMiller is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:20 PM
  #11  
drcook
CF Senior Member
 
drcook's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2016
Location: N.E. Ohio OH
Posts: 1,361
Thanked 181 Times in 166 Posts
Default

BTW, one thing that immediately catches the eye in your under-hood pics is that someone converted this car to individual coils. This is essentially a way to reduce the reliance on the the Optispark distributor. This may or may not be a desirable thing, depending on several factors.
I saw that also. Because it is one coil pack, it should be a Delteq unit that was used.
drcook is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:27 PM
  #12  
TheGreek!
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Apr 2016
Posts: 305
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by drcook View Post
I saw that also. Because it is one coil pack, it should be a Delteq unit that was used.
Yes, it has a Delteq unit on it. Are they good? Do they have any known issues?
TheGreek! is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:44 PM
  #13  
MatthewMiller
CF Senior Member
 
MatthewMiller's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2015
Location: St. Charles MO
Posts: 1,440
Thanked 195 Times in 165 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TheGreek! View Post
Yes, it has a Delteq unit on it. Are they good? Do they have any known issues?
Someone else will have to chime in. I don't know the answer.
MatthewMiller is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:45 AM
  #14  
turbobuick33
CF Senior Member
 
turbobuick33's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2003
Location: Naperville il
Posts: 205
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Dam! $5200, that's a steal! What state are you from? I'm in IL and I've never seen a high mileage LT4 go for $5k. Usually i see them for about 7 to 8k. Looks great with the black interior. Are there any issues or problems? I payed $10,500 for mine, it has 69k miles and it has the grey interior, which is ok. Id rather have black. Id like to ditch the opti spark and convert to a coil pack. Is there a write up on doing this set up?

Last edited by turbobuick33; 06-12-2018 at 11:50 AM.
turbobuick33 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:27 PM
  #15  
drcook
CF Senior Member
 
drcook's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2016
Location: N.E. Ohio OH
Posts: 1,361
Thanked 181 Times in 166 Posts
Default

the delteq is out of production, do a lookup on LTCC here on the forum, which is another unit. here is the site

http://www.bailey-eng.com/LTCC.html
drcook is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:51 PM
  #16  
TheGreek!
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Apr 2016
Posts: 305
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by turbobuick33 View Post
Dam! $5200, that's a steal! What state are you from? I'm in IL and I've never seen a high mileage LT4 go for $5k. Usually i see them for about 7 to 8k. Looks great with the black interior. Are there any issues or problems? I payed $10,500 for mine, it has 69k miles and it has the grey interior, which is ok. Id rather have black. Id like to ditch the opti spark and convert to a coil pack. Is there a write up on doing this set up?

I live in Arizona. High mileage cars are common out here because the distances between towns and such are long, most of the miles on cars out here are highway miles. Hell for its age the mileage on it isn't bad, if you do the math it comes out to being driven only 4800 miles a year. Anyway, the only real "issue" with the car are the tires, they're shot. I have a new set of tires on the way right now, they'll be here by the end of the week. The only other things wrong with it is the rear roof weatherstrip (I have a new one on the way), the weatherstrips on the sides of the targa top (I have new ones on the way), and the drivers side armrest/storage bin lid on the door panel is broke (I'm currently looking for a good used one because new ones are stupidly high priced). All the power options and stuff on the car work, nothing needs to be fixed as far as that goes. By the way, some other mods were done to the car by the previous owner besides the Delteq ignition system, it also has an MSD optispark unit to go along with the Delteq system, a Vette Brakes and Products C5 front brake upgrade kit, a Ron Davis aluminum radiator w/aluminum side tanks, a Carolina Clutch stage 2 performance clutch kit, and a Fidanza Engineering Aluminum flywheel. I definitely think I got my money's worth with this car...

Last edited by TheGreek!; 06-12-2018 at 06:54 PM.
TheGreek! is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:15 AM
  #17  
turbobuick33
CF Senior Member
 
turbobuick33's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2003
Location: Naperville il
Posts: 205
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

What brand tires did you buy?
turbobuick33 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:34 AM
  #18  
TheGreek!
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Apr 2016
Posts: 305
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by turbobuick33 View Post
What brand tires did you buy?
Nitto 285/40/ZR17.
TheGreek! is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:20 AM
  #19  
turbobuick33
CF Senior Member
 
turbobuick33's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2003
Location: Naperville il
Posts: 205
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

What model nittos? And 285 also on the fronts?

Last edited by turbobuick33; 06-14-2018 at 11:22 AM.
turbobuick33 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:41 PM
  #20  
TheGreek!
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Apr 2016
Posts: 305
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by turbobuick33 View Post
What model nittos? And 285 also on the fronts?
NT555 G2. Same size on all 4 corners, 285/40/ZR17.
TheGreek! is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '96 wheel and tire question


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: