4+3 shifter wont shift - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

4+3 shifter wont shift

Old 06-12-2018, 10:40 PM   #1  
vettecrazy88
CF Senior Member

Default 4+3 shifter wont shift

Cant get shifter in reverse to get key out

when in 1st gear position and clutch is let out car moves in reverse

when shifter in any other gear and clutch let out revs drop and car strains but will not move.

can move shifter to any of forward 4 shift locations but not reverse.

Checked master and fluid low but not too low. Filled. No change in result

Not sure what to check.

Please advise.
vettecrazy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:53 PM   #2  
s carter
CF Senior Member

Raise car up climb under car clear the shifter by hand, simply move main shifter arm's to a straight up/down position because you may be in 2 gears at the same time because of a worn side cover ***** and shifter arm's.
so after confirming the T-10 & OD are in nutraul hopefully the wheels will turn by hand. then you can start looking into the cause of the misalignment, the fact you say it moves back in first almost makes me wonder if though rare has happened a broken shifter fork in the OD unit.

Last edited by s carter; 06-13-2018 at 08:46 AM.
s carter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to s carter For This Useful Post:
vettecrazy88 (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 01:55 PM   #3  
ihatebarkingdogs
CF Senior Member

The transmission is in reverse at all times. When shifted into any forward gear, it doesn't move because it is in the forward and reverse at the same time. The output shaft is locked solid. Get it out of reverse. (put the shifter in a forward gear like 4th. Go under the car and move the reverse lever (furthest aft on the transmission)forward). The shifter itself is possibly worn and out of adjustment enough to have allowed the shift lever to move without moving the reverse lever with it. Readjust the shifter.

There is no "shift fork" in the overdrive. The overdrive is never in "neutral". Either direct or overdrive.
ihatebarkingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ihatebarkingdogs For This Useful Post:
vettecrazy88 (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 04:25 PM   #4  
s carter
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs View Post
The transmission is in reverse at all times. When shifted into any forward gear, it doesn't move because it is in the forward and reverse at the same time. The output shaft is locked solid. Get it out of reverse. (put the shifter in a forward gear like 4th. Go under the car and move the reverse lever (furthest aft on the transmission)forward). The shifter itself is possibly worn and out of adjustment enough to have allowed the shift lever to move without moving the reverse lever with it. Readjust the shifter.

There is no "shift fork" in the overdrive. The overdrive is never in "neutral". Either direct or overdrive.
Ok fine in the adapter plate
Old 06-13-2018, 06:05 PM   #5  
ihatebarkingdogs
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s carter View Post
Ok fine in the adapter plate
Huh?
That's not even a sentence. Try again, please.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:05 PM   #6  
vettecrazy88
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs View Post

Under the car and moved forward levers to vertical position. Tried to move reverse lever but will not budge with hand force. Ok to get more aggressive? Is it the reverse lockout?

Tried to shift into reverse at shifter and will not go in to that gear. Smooth shifting to all others now.

Just FYI, checked movement of slave cylinder when clutch depressed and released and it moves the rod and arm. That implies hydraulics OK, correct?
Old 06-13-2018, 06:22 PM   #7  
ihatebarkingdogs
CF Senior Member

Yes, by your descriptions, hydraulics are ok.

Re: To get it out of reverse. It may be bound up if the rear wheels are on the ground. Try getting a helper to sit in the car and depress the clutch while you move the reverse rod.
The shift lever must NOT be in the reverse gate. By that I mean that the shifter has to be in one of the other gates (3-4 is preferable) in order that the shifter blade does not "block" the reverse lever's movement.

If none of the above gets it out of reverse, remove the nut on the transmission lever, and remove the shift lever from reverse. Use a crescent wrench on the flats, and rotate the trans out of Reverse.

There is one more possibility, but my recollection is hazy. The actual lock-out for the "it has to be in reverse to get the key out" is under the center console plate. In years past, I owned several stick-shift cars at the same time. I seldom drove the 85. My SOP was to get in, foot on the brake, pull the trans into neutral and start it. Of course in the 85 you have to turn the key on FIRST, to unlock the shifter. I would pull the shifter into Neutral, and then couldn't get it back into Reverse because the interlock was all messed up. I would have to remove the top plate on the console and fix the lock-out.

I wonder if the lock-out mechanism is blocking you moving the reverse rod and linkage? Might be worth taking the top plate off and having a look. As I said, my recollection of how it all works under there is hazy at best. Sorry.

Last edited by ihatebarkingdogs; 06-13-2018 at 06:25 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ihatebarkingdogs For This Useful Post:
vettecrazy88 (06-15-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 06:29 PM   #8  
s carter
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettecrazy88 View Post
Under the car and moved forward levers to vertical position. Tried to move reverse lever but will not budge with hand force. Ok to get more aggressive? Is it the reverse lockout?

Tried to shift into reverse at shifter and will not go in to that gear. Smooth shifting to all others now.

Just FYI, checked movement of slave cylinder when clutch depressed and released and it moves the rod and arm. That implies hydraulics OK, correct?
OK with the 2 levers Vertical you can't move the Reverse lever, it should not require a whole lot of force, is the Key in the unlock position when testing . Have you tried to remove the Reverse linkage and take the Shiftier out the field of possible Problems and turn the reverse with a wrench.
The Following User Says Thank You to s carter For This Useful Post:
vettecrazy88 (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 08:41 PM   #9  
vettecrazy88
CF Senior Member

Moved reverse lever to forward and now can lift shifter reverse lock and get the shifter in reverse position. When I walked the shifter through the 5 positions it would not go into reverse again. Went under and moved lever again and it would go into reverse position again.

New discovery though is that I cannot get key out.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:16 PM   #10  
vettecrazy88
CF Senior Member

Not sure if that is cause or symptom
Old 06-15-2018, 10:40 PM   #11  
vettecrazy88
CF Senior Member

So seems to be smooth as silk now. Will test on road tomorrow.

Embarrassingly the key not coming out was because I had overturned it to ACC.

Rectal helmet problem again.
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • 4+3 shifter wont shift
  •