C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

AC help

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 04:24 PM
Vets87Vette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC help

I'm really hoping I don't have a wiring issue because wiring diagrams are confusing as heck, but here's what I have going on...All fuses are good, not sure on the circuit breaker ones next to them (as of posting this) you can see in the pic a little wire sticking into the 10A slot labeled gauges. No idea which owner before me did this but as far as my testing has shown, this is solely affecting wether my climate control unit works or not.if I plug a normal 10a fuse into the spot my climate control unit doesn't work but when the single wire is plugged in all my buttons work to change the desired temp and fan speed etc. However no matter what I do the actual fan will not turn on. It does not blow hot/cold or AC at all, I cant hear the anything click on or off, nothing. I'm asking if you guys have any ideas, I'm guessing my blower motor is shot but I cant figure out if one of these circuit breakers might be the real culprit. As far as I can tell all the relays under the hood are good, I pulled all those and they all looked good and oxidation/corrosion free. As you can see though from the willcox photo and my actual fuse box photo, labelings don't exactly match up, that's why I'm wondering if changing one of the big circuit breakers is actually worth it or not. Rant over. Thanks for any help.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:35 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

If you have a C68 unit you can run diagnostics on the system and it will tell you what you problem it has.

Old 06-18-2018, 04:49 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

I did that self diagnosis got no codes and it still blows warm air!
Old 06-18-2018, 04:57 PM
Vets87Vette
Intermediate

I have whichever unit this is, lights up just like this one like I said, however it doesn't blow hot/cold or AC
Old 06-18-2018, 05:12 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Is your compressor coming on? Are your AC tubes cold?

If not you may not have enough freon in the system.

Now, does HEAT work? Can you get heat out of the floor/vent/defrost and will the temp scale along with the read out? Just seeing if the unit is functioning correctly.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:16 PM
Vets87Vette
Intermediate

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
Is your compressor coming on? Are your AC tubes cold?

If not you may not have enough freon in the system.

Now, does HEAT work? Can you get heat out of the floor/vent/defrost and will the temp scale along with the read out? Just seeing if the unit is functioning correctly.
Bill, nothing comes on but the control unit itself, I can change fan speed 1-10 and see the numbers change, see the temp. Numbers change as well, however no matter if I select bi level, econ, heat, defrost, ac...nothing blows out
Old 06-18-2018, 07:03 PM
RWDsmoke
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 180 Posts

The 87 blower motor is powered by a fusible link by the starter.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:25 AM
Vets87Vette
Intermediate

Thank you all for the suggestions, all that turned out to be the issue was the $5 defogger circuit breaker, replaced that and now my air works just fine blowing cold and hot whatever I set the temp to. So if you have the same problem I did and your control unit lights up but you're just not getting any air...check that breaker first, because even though its labeled defog. It controls the air blowing as well.

Get notified of new replies

To AC help

Quick Reply: AC help