C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

96 vette radio issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 09:50 AM
charliecorvette
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 vette Bose radio issue

i have 96 vette that when I turn radio on it lights up and station comes in, but no sound. I can put in a cd and it will play, but no sound. The car has been sitting awhile and battery went dead and I had to replace battery.

I have ave heard that I may have to reset a code for it to work, but not sure how to do it. It’s a bose system.

Can anyone help?
Old 06-21-2018, 11:34 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

My guess is the CDM is bad. If you turn the volume all the way up with the car not running can you hear it playing very softly?
Old 06-21-2018, 02:08 PM
charliecorvette
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JimLentz
My guess is the CDM is bad. If you turn the volume all the way up with the car not running can you hear it playing very softly?
i have put a cd in and it plays thru the songs, just don’t get any sound out the speakers. Can you tell me what the car is?
Old 06-22-2018, 04:51 AM
VenkmanP
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by charliecorvette
i have 96 vette that when I turn radio on it lights up and station comes in, but no sound. I can put in a cd and it will play, but no sound. The car has been sitting awhile and battery went dead and I had to replace battery.

I have ave heard that I may have to reset a code for it to work, but not sure how to do it. It’s a bose system.

Can anyone help?
I'm not aware of anything directly related to taking out a battery that would cause this problem. There's no code.

Off the top of my head I can't remember if there's a separate fuse for the bose amps (at the speakers) but check all your fuses.

That you've got power and a station on the HU says that the CDM is working, so I'd assume the problem is between the CDM and the speakers.

Since it's been sitting for a while you could have a mouse problem, or if it was sitting outside you could have a water problem.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:50 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts

CDM has the radio tuner in it and speaks digitally to the head. So that part is working.

CDM also has the preamp in it.

I would also say the CDM is likely bad. Replace the 4 big caps in the CDM and if you can muster up the time do the rest of the caps and you should be up and running.

there is nothing in between the CDM and speakers but 4 separate amps. they dont all go bad at the same time.

You are damn lucky you have a 96 model.

EDIT: btw, it does make sense that it stopped working after you replaced you battery.

If you like send your CDM to me and I will repair. I get lots of $$$ though.. more than the stereo guy or whatever his name is. send all your amplifiers too and more $$$.

Last edited by barchetta1; 06-28-2018 at 08:54 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 96 vette radio issue

Quick Reply: 96 vette radio issue