C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

L-98 camshaft

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 03:21 PM
wishitwascamaro
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L-98 camshaft

Can anyone give me the specs and or part number for the original camshaft that was/ should be installed in my 85 L-98 Corvette? I would like to compare them to the cam that is actually in there now I'm having trouble getting this engine to idle smoothly and people are telling me I should have never installed that high performance Camshaft. When I bought the car it didn't run at all, it had multiple problems, after I got it running I discovered that a previous owner had installed a roller cam and roller lifters, roller rockers, Edelbrock Aluminum heads and who knows what else? I promptly yanked the roller cam out because the heads didn't have the 3rd valve spring that is recommended for roller cams etc... I put in a slightly high performance camshaft (against the advice of my brother ). I have the spec sheet for the cam and I know exactly what is in there, I would like to compare it to the official cam that should be in there.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:35 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Location, location, location. That helps in real estate and if we can help you when we are nearby. Check fuel pressure, air and spark. Are you having enough fuel pressure? Does it hold for a while? Is there an air leak? Scanner, not code reader, scanner helps determine that. Are you having good spark? Are the plug wires leaking? Is the cap and rotor good?

If everything is good, you might need a dyno tune. If you are near someone, they might recommend you a place.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:29 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

what are the specs on the one you pulled out?
Th stock is a puny pos you can go a little bigger and not worry about it
Old 06-25-2018, 02:43 PM
SLVRSHRK
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 106 Posts

Melling CCS-37 is the stock replacement cam I believe. It is the cam I used to rebuild my 86 (Aluminum heads) as stock.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mel-ccs-37
Old 06-25-2018, 09:02 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by SLVRSHRK
Melling CCS-37 is the stock replacement cam I believe. It is the cam I used to rebuild my 86 (Aluminum heads) as stock.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mel-ccs-37
That seems about right.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:35 PM
nickpe
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default you have to tune the chip,

Originally Posted by wishitwascamaro
Can anyone give me the specs and or part number for the original camshaft that was/ should be installed in my 85 L-98 Corvette? I would like to compare them to the cam that is actually in there now I'm having trouble getting this engine to idle smoothly and people are telling me I should have never installed that high performance Camshaft. When I bought the car it didn't run at all, it had multiple problems, after I got it running I discovered that a previous owner had installed a roller cam and roller lifters, roller rockers, Edelbrock Aluminum heads and who knows what else? I promptly yanked the roller cam out because the heads didn't have the 3rd valve spring that is recommended for roller cams etc... I put in a slightly high performance camshaft (against the advice of my brother ). I have the spec sheet for the cam and I know exactly what is in there, I would like to compare it to the official cam that should be in there.
you have to tune the chip, i had TPIS do mine
Old 06-25-2018, 09:49 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by nickpe
you have to tune the chip, i had TPIS do mine
Do they still do it? If not Joe Hornick in Mooresville, NC or HiTech Motorsport in Elk River, MN might
Old 06-27-2018, 11:09 AM
aguilar92c4
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wishitwascamaro
The cams specs for 85/86 L98's & 84 L83 is -

Duration @ 0.050", 202/206, lift .403/.415 , Lobe seperation 115 degrees. The issue is you need to keep duration below 220/220 and the LSA above 114 when choosing a replacement cam ,otherwise the computer will freak out and you can actually lose performance unless you get it tuned.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:49 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by aguilar92c4
The cams specs for 85/86 L98's & 84 L83 is -

Duration @ 0.050", 202/206, lift .403/.415 , Lobe seperation 115 degrees. The issue is you need to keep duration below 220/220 and the LSA above 114 when choosing a replacement cam ,otherwise the computer will freak out and you can actually lose performance unless you get it tuned.
True and I'd get the intakes and headers done first and change the cam and then get it dyno tuned for the best bang for the buck

Get notified of new replies

To L-98 camshaft

Quick Reply: L-98 camshaft