C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

damage driving from roof out?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 08:08 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts
Default damage driving from roof out?

Drove my car for the first time with the roof out last weekend and noticed that there is a fair mount of vibration not unlike a wheel out of balance. I know the factory designed it to be driven this way but wondering if i'd be fatiguing the chassis by driving it this way? I guess there is fiberglass epoxied to steel frame members?

I plan to get a brace when funds allow but what are your thoughts on this?

Last edited by barchetta1; 07-08-2018 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:49 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Drive it.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:57 PM
gman35
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

get a targa roof truss... one of the best things I bought.. I love mine.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:02 PM
RWDsmoke
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by barchetta1
Drove my car for the first time with the roof out last weekend and noticed that there is a fair mount of vibration not unlike a wheel out of balance. I know the factory designed it to be driven this way but wondering if i'd be fatiguing the chassis by driving it this way? I guess there is fiberglass epoxied to steel frame members?

I plan to get a brace when funds allow but what are your thoughts on this?
Driving with the roof off does not cause vibration, it just lets you feel it. Find the problem (tire, wheel bearing or whatever) and fix it.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:05 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

GM brass wanted a targa once Porsche put one in a 911. There is some flex with roof off. There is a gizmo to allow hatch to vent air to reduce buffering as speed increases.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:29 PM
turbobuick33
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gman35
where did you buy your targa roof truss?
Old 07-08-2018, 09:43 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RWDsmoke
Driving with the roof off does not cause vibration, it just lets you feel it. Find the problem (tire, wheel bearing or whatever) and fix it.
Im not worried about the vibration, its the clearly twisty chassis Im concerned with.

Ive read the book, I know it was supposed to be a t top and last minute changed to a targa.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:57 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Im not worried about the vibration, its the clearly twisty chassis Im concerned with.

Ive read the book, I know it was supposed to be a t top and last minute changed to a targa.
The twisty chassis hypochondria is out of control. Some think it needs fixing. It doesn't
Old 07-08-2018, 09:58 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

The frame is strong, but it's not stiff. It will flex a lot w/the roof off, but it won't be damaged as a consequence. Drive the wee out of it.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:13 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

True but vibration is still vibration. I feel imperfections in the road more...which can create intermittent vibration. Plus, flex through corners that can be unsettling if the road is potted. Constant vibration w/o the roof in WOULD be indicative of something that needs to be chased.

I agree that extra flex shouldn't cause longterm damage if you're talking a few years. How unglued these come in 50 years is still left to be seen. If you read the book, it SAYS the chassis was designed for a 20yr-life-span. Really?!?! Adhesives/glue don't last forever, I guess. FWIW, I put a camber brace on mine. Frame (X) braces and targa truss will all help. Guys named Bubba or Tom....with a welder couldn't hurt either! LOL

I don't think roads/highways are as well-kept as they used to be (either).
The following users liked this post:
5abivt (07-19-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 06:13 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by gman35
Originally Posted by turbobuick33
where did you buy your targa roof truss?
If it bothers you that bad. I also went with one.

Truss bar

Last edited by FASTAZU; 07-09-2018 at 06:15 AM.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:42 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Its going to flex quite a bit with the targa out, no way around it.

Some of us just add stiffeners, like the targa truss, camber brace, cross-bar, X-frame, etc.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:06 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

I do not notice any vibration mainly wind buffeting, I put the sun visors up a little to deflect air from cabin.
That does the trick nicely ... try it
Old 07-09-2018, 08:29 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gerardvg
I do not notice any vibration mainly wind buffeting, I put the sun visors up a little to deflect air from cabin.
That does the trick nicely ... try it
thanks.. I bet it would help on the highway.. I think maybe I need to shell out for shocks. May take them off and see if they are pressurized.. I think bilsteins should extend on their own when removed from car. Either that or rebalance tires or both.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:55 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

thanks.. I bet it would help on the highway.. I think maybe I need to shell out for shocks. May take them off and see if they are pressurized.. I think bilsteins should extend on their own when removed from car. Either that or rebalance tires or both.
Yes the bilstein shock absorbers are pressurized they will extend by themselves, I find the usual vibration issues are from tires out of round or high spots.
Jack each front wheel and spin the tire, check the tread surface for any high spots.
The rear will need both wheels of the ground just run the engine in gear and check the tires for out of round or tread separation.

On average road cars out of round tires are not as noticeable, but on a vette its shocking.

I definitely have no vibration issues roof on or off

Good luck

Last edited by gerardvg; 07-09-2018 at 08:56 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:52 AM
64Scout
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

I've noticed mine shakes with the top off. I leave mine in more to keep the sun off me.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:26 AM
fake
Safety Car

Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

My 1993 shook,vibrated and GM knew about it and sent the cars out for delivery!The top on mine was removed at 3000 miles on a flat surface per owners manual.. It took 2 hours to place back on the car. The dealer said good luck your problem not ours, called Bowling Green and they said bring it back to the dealer. The bracing needed (X) was eliminated by the GM bean counters because profits come before customers. Thats why after buying GM cars since 1965 )GTO) El Caminos etc, i drive Lexus .

Get notified of new replies

To damage driving from roof out?

Old 07-14-2018, 09:45 AM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fake
My 1993 shook,vibrated and GM knew about it and sent the cars out for delivery!The top on mine was removed at 3000 miles on a flat surface per owners manual.. It took 2 hours to place back on the car. The dealer said good luck your problem not ours, called Bowling Green and they said bring it back to the dealer. The bracing needed (X) was eliminated by the GM bean counters because profits come before customers. Thats why after buying GM cars since 1965 )GTO) El Caminos etc, i drive Lexus .
So, my original question; can we do damage appears to be an unknown.

It appears your car needs to be setup perfect to avoid shaking. Any issue is exaggerated x10.

It is my contention, that without a roof brace we will be doing damage. Therefore, I will be looking to purchase a brace and I think I will put my roof back in place. I cant believe you have to use a ratchet wrench. My guess is that the engineers knew full well the car lost its integrity with the roof out and to satisfy the executive management they designed a roof that didnt just latch into place but bolted so it became a solid structural member of the chassis.

Its a shame because a T top would have been much more practical; the two panels could easily be removed by a guy as needed and allow the owner to enjoy more open air driving. Burt Reynolds looked great in his t top. Hope he is ok.

Old 07-14-2018, 11:16 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

So, my original question; can we do damage appears to be an unknown.
How did you come to that conclusion? Many in this thread have told you that it won't harm the car. GM themselves ran countless engineering calc's, built models to test the structure, and then validated it with over a million miles of testing -in some pretty unfavorable conditions. These cars are now 22-34 years old...yet there isn't any reported damage from roofs off. No cars have been totaled due to no-roof-running. I think that your conclusion is folly.

My guess is that the engineers knew full well the car lost its integrity with the roof out and to satisfy the executive management they designed a roof that didnt just latch into place but bolted so it became a solid structural member of the chassis.
You're guess is right about this, but you needn't guess....Dave McLellan, the head engineer for the car admits that straight up, in his book. He literally explained the loss of structural rigidity (not the same as "strength") in both objective terms (structural frequency) and subjective terms and he talks about the structural roll of the roof as it relates to stiffness (not the same as "strength"). Finally, he expressed his disappointment in the end result.

If you want a roof brace for ride quality reasons....go for it. But you're not preventing damage to your car.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:34 AM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

I never take my top off... 6 C4's, I can count on one hand how many times Ive had the tops off.... Its a PIA anyway to remove it....store it, then if it starts raining... meh... IMO, you want to go topless, buy a convertible....

Quick Reply: damage driving from roof out?