C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Upper Control Arm Shims

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 11:23 AM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts
Default Upper Control Arm Shims

Doing an underhood inspection recently, I noticed the right side upper control arm has an odd shim arrangement... the front mounting bolt has 3 shims but the rear bolt only has 1, plus this single shim is upside down and looks like it slid halfway out of it's mounting place but it is not loose. The left side UCA has 3 shims front and back, all right side up and looking proper. I've had the car professionally inspected and aligned a few times in the past, the technician did not say anything. (The car drives good, maybe wanders a bit on the highway but that's probably tie rods or something else, or could be grooves in the pavement that I'm not seeing... either way it's not a real problem.)
So... is this worthy of concern? Should I just drive the car, and point out the shim arrangement to the technician next time I take it for alignment? Sorry I did not take a picture at the time, I can provide one if it will help but I figure this description is adequate for anyone familiar with the UCA shim arrangement. Thank you all.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:35 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by DGXR
Doing an underhood inspection recently, I noticed the right side upper control arm has an odd shim arrangement... the front mounting bolt has 3 shims but the rear bolt only has 1, plus this single shim is upside down and looks like it slid halfway out of it's mounting place but it is not loose. The left side UCA has 3 shims front and back, all right side up and looking proper. I've had the car professionally inspected and aligned a few times in the past, the technician did not say anything. (The car drives good, maybe wanders a bit on the highway but that's probably tie rods or something else, or could be grooves in the pavement that I'm not seeing... either way it's not a real problem.)
So... is this worthy of concern? Should I just drive the car, and point out the shim arrangement to the technician next time I take it for alignment? Sorry I did not take a picture at the time, I can provide one if it will help but I figure this description is adequate for anyone familiar with the UCA shim arrangement. Thank you all.
I'd say you need to have it aligned and ask the alignment technician to explain FEA to you. So long as the 4 factory 'washers' are properly placed and aligned it isn't unusual for the shim counts side to side NOT to match. It would be considered ODD/UNUSUAL if they in fact did. There are alignment shims with a hole in the tab that allows them to be wired.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-09-2018 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:10 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by DGXR
Caster is adjusted by changing the angle of the ball joint axis, and I think that is what you are seeing.
The ball joint axis is changed by moving the upper ball joint forward or backward relative to the lower ball joint.
You move the upper ball joint center by adding or subtracting shims. Everything you described sounds normal to me, with the exception of the one shim being upside down.
Post a picture of it if you feel like it.

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 07-09-2018 at 12:13 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:53 AM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

OK I finally got around to taking some pics of these shims. Any suggestions, guidance or other comments will be appreciated:

Two pics of the upper control arm mount, passenger side, rear bolt:

One pic of the upper control arm mount, passenger side, both bolts:

Last edited by DGXR; 08-15-2018 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:36 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

The one is sort of not positioned properly. Loosen it up and rotate it back into position, then tighten it up again and forget about it.

Get notified of new replies

To Upper Control Arm Shims

Quick Reply: Upper Control Arm Shims