C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Crossfire upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 02:11 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by cardo0
To actually verify fuel distribution on any induction system you would need thermalcouples on each exhaust tube to monitor temperatures. Visually checking the spark plugs could only detect gross distribution problems. Some say they can do this with an hand held IR gun - I'm not a believer of that either.
Reading plugs is every bit as good...better even than thermocouples. Not as convenient, but at least as accurate.

How you going to use an IR gun? You cold idle, but that's it. Underway -where it matters, ain't gonna work.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 07-13-2018 at 02:13 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:50 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
FYI, I totally removed my swirl plates, and radiused the underside/outlet of the TB's like a reverse velocity stack. My distribution, going by plug reads, was as good as with the stock set up. Driveability and fuel economy were unaffected.
Here is what it looked like:

Old 07-13-2018, 06:54 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Reading plugs is every bit as good...better even than thermocouples. Not as convenient, but at least as accurate..
Can you prove that please. Or are you using your imagination again. You need to read more on tuning.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:57 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

How you going to use an IR gun? You cold idle, but that's it. Underway -where it matters, ain't gonna work..
So you are trying to avoid saying that you agree with me an IR gun is not the way to do this by replying as asking a question!
Old 07-13-2018, 07:29 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Well if you don't need to smog it to register and license it then the sky is the limit. Start with basic foundation builders like headers, free flowing exhaust and a good intake like the Renegade. I don't think the savings in porting your stock manifold justifies the effort when there is a quality piece on the vendors self for a reasonable price. Once you have the car running well with a good intake and exhaust then you can make internal motor improvements one at a time so you can sort things out as you go. Unless you have a lot of sbc experience and with CFI then have at it but if you did have a lot of experience you probably won't be here asking for advice. Making changes one at time allows you to keep track of the effects - good or bad - and recover from mistakes if needed.

Good luck.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:07 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

listen to ^this guy giving CFI advice....and he doesn't have one! I especially like the part about the value of porting the intake. Cardo....you know what a WELL ported CFI intake is worth in the 1/4 mile? I do. You know how much it costs to port a CFI intake? I do.

Can you prove that please. Or are you using your imagination again. You need to read more on tuning.
Prove what; that plug reads are every bit as good as thermocouples? Sure I can prove it. Come here, and I'll show you. Thermocouples have some error. The error doesn't matter much, but there is some. When you're reading plugs you're reading the actual combustion event -if you do it right. Can't get much more accurate than that. Thermocouples are easy though and give you (virtually) real time data. So for sure they're easier to use but they're not better. They also cost money. Not many on here are going to go buy an 8 cylinder EGT set up. Not many are going to read plugs either, unfortunately, but at least it's attainable/doable for anyone, and for no money.

So you are trying to avoid saying that you agree with me an IR gun is not the way to do this by replying as asking a question!
I'm not avoiding anything. An IR gun is not the way to do it. Unless you want to remove your hood, and stand on the fender well while your buddy drives your car.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:24 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

I'm not avoiding anything. An IR gun is not the way to do it. Unless you want to remove your hood, and stand on the fender well while your buddy drives your car.
It's time for a Quaalude, Tom. Suggestions should always be considered, even if we don't agree with the other guy. The IR gun could be used on a chassis dyno, rather than having a buddy ride along under your hood! (I'm not arguing one way or the other!)

All I'm saying is that my '84 CFI has surprised a few people, and I'm sure I don't have all the right answers.

The following users liked this post:
cardo0 (07-13-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 11:57 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Yep, that is true. An IR gun would work on a dyno. Good point.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:02 PM
Gibbles
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 151 Posts

I went with a mild cam, renegade, 1.65 rockers, heads, full smog stuff delete, and melrose exhaust system.
i ended up going with an ebl flash ecm to get everything running right...

Last edited by Gibbles; 07-17-2018 at 10:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
yakmastermax (02-28-2023)

Quick Reply: Crossfire upgrades