C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Front lower ball joints

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 11:12 AM
rookiesenior
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front lower ball joints

My situation: Recent purchase of '92 base model. I am a senior wanting to get two summers of use before I pass it along or I pass along, whichever comes first. Need to replace front lower ball joints. I will be purchasing the items through a parts house. The wide variance in price is my question. I first saw Duralast (Auto Zone) part # FA 1661 @ $100.00 for a pair. Then discovered thru Napa; house brand part # PCC 10413 @ $55.00 for the pair. Based on my desires, why would i spend an extra $45.00 which could be applied to some other required item. No jokes about who or what will pass first if I don't spend an outrageous amount of money for the item in question. This vehicle will just be used for day trips..

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:31 AM
Fastnail
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Unless you go with a high performance replacement, it seems that most of what is available nowadays is made overseas. That being said, and your intended use for the car, I would replace them with the lower priced parts and enjoy the car. Just my opinion.
Cheers
Old 07-13-2018, 11:39 AM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

For me, I would want the bst possible parts in my front end.... Its a matter of safety... passing along the car to someone else with better quality parts in the front end would let me rest easier....
Old 07-13-2018, 02:36 PM
RUU
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Lots of reports about certain cheaper brands not fitting properly. If you are having the work done by a shop, you might be better off letting them source the parts. Then it's their problem if the install is a pain in the butt.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:48 PM
zachaeous
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 376 Posts

I picked up a set of AC Delco lower ball joints professional line for IIRC for $60.00 off of ebay. They fit perfectly and seem to be holding up just fine. I did the work in 2012 so 6 years worth of wear. I used Moog brand for the uppers and got them at a swap meet still new in the box for $40.00. I installed the lowers with the rent a tool ball joint press from Auto Zone. It worked well but if I had it to do over I would remove the lower control arms and use a shop press to do the job.

Last edited by zachaeous; 07-13-2018 at 10:50 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Front lower ball joints

Quick Reply: Front lower ball joints