C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

pulling to the right

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 09:28 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

@ arbee - The castor split on the above car is two tenths of a degree, and this is pretty typical. Its time for you to stop punching yourself in the *****.

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 07-22-2018 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:49 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 542 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
@ arbee - The castor split on the above car is two tenths of a degree, and this is pretty typical. Its time for you to stop punching yourself in the *****.
So how do you explain my link that stipulates a C4 caster spec as 5-7 degrees. We are on a Corvette forum are we not? You really out to take up politics - you would be good!
Old 07-22-2018, 09:54 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by arbee
So how do you explain my link that stipulates a C4 caster spec as 5-7 degrees. We are on a Corvette forum are we not? You really out to take up politics - you would be good!
The spec for the total measurement may very well be between 5 and 7 degrees. The split between right and left will be in tenths of a degree, unless you want the car to pull.

This thread has turned into what I was talking about earlier. Some people just don't understand these measurments. I actually think you do though. You just don't want to admit that your initial statement was totally wrong, because you are guessing.

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 07-22-2018 at 09:58 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:02 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

The spec for the total measurement may very well be between 5 and 7 degrees. The split between right and left will be in tenths of a degree, unless you want the car to pull.

This thread has turned into what I was talking about earlier. Some people just don't understand these measurments. I actually think you do though. You just don't want to admit that your initial statement was totally wrong, because you are guessing.

I go only by what is written and these are your words: …"will be in tenths of a degree, not full degrees".

Old 07-22-2018, 10:05 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

I go only by what is written and these are your words: …"will be in tenths of a degree, not full degrees".
Those words are correct. A castor split will be in tenths of a degree, not full degrees. This is very likely what is messed up with the OPs car.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:21 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Those words are correct. A castor split will be in tenths of a degree, not full degrees. This is very likely what is messed up with the OPs car.
In post #14, you made a point of highlighting one of my statements regarding steering axis being positive offset by a few degrees. You then went on to state that I was one of the people who didn't understand. My statement was entirely correct(as proven by my link) Do you expect people to not respond to such statements?
Old 07-22-2018, 10:27 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

In post #14, you made a point of highlighting one of my statements regarding steering axis being positive offset by a few degrees. You then went on to state that I was one of the people who didn't understand. My statement was entirely correct(as proven by my link) Do you expect people to not respond to such statements?
I thought you were referring to the castor split since that is the issue at hand.
I now realize you had no idea what a castor split is, or how and why it causes a car to pull.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:38 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

I thought you were referring to the castor split since that is the issue at hand.
I now realize you had no idea what a castor split is, or how and why it causes a car to pull.

You are one condescending individual aren't you? I most definitely do understand what "castor split" is. However
this "split" was never mentioned until I proved you wrong with my link. Every one of your posts referred to "castor"(by the way, it is caster, not castor) until you introduced a new variable to suit your narrative. Like I said, run for office.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:47 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

You are one condescending individual aren't you? I most definitely do understand what "castor split" is. However
this "split" was never mentioned until I proved you wrong with my link. Every one of your posts referred to "castor"(by the way, it is caster, not castor) until you introduced a new variable to suit your narrative. Like I said, run for office.
I pointed out castor split in post 16 which was well before your link, and you quoted it, (instead of disputing your meaning). In fact that's all I've referenced since that is what is directly related to the OPs problem. You pointing out the spec in degrees is about as useful as pointing out the ring and pinion backlash measurement.

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 07-22-2018 at 10:51 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:52 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

I pointed out castor split in post 16 which was well before your link. In fact that's all I've referenced since that is what is directly related to the OPs problem. You pointing out the spec in degrees is about as useful as pointing out the ring and pinion backlash measurement.
If it will make you all warm and fuzzy, you win. I have the distinct feeling you would love to carry on forever with this introducing new "facts" as needed. Hope you get elected.

Old 07-22-2018, 10:56 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

If it will make you all warm and fuzzy, you win. I have the distinct feeling you would love to carry on forever with this introducing new "facts" as needed. Hope you get elected.
That's right arbee. I win because I know what I'm talking about, and you are just sort of guessing.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:26 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

So going back to the OP, I see multiple concerns. First, replacing a steering rack shouldn't cause a pull. The only alignment spec that should change is toe, and toe can't cause a pull. If your toe is off, it can cause the steering wheel to be off center when the wheels are pointing straight, but it won't pull. So to replace the rack, they should not have had to mess with the caster and camber (shims). I agree with PatternDayTrader that we need to see the alignment specs on the OP's car. Caster split is by far the most likely culprit here. A big split on camber might cause a pull, but I doubt that even a bad alignment tech would let camber get that far out of whack (I hope!).

Also, the last sentence of the OP said that the tech indicated it might the brake calipers (sticking, I assume?). Again, I can't think of how that condition could have been caused by a steering rack replacement. The quick way to check that is to jack the front up and compare the drag of each front wheel free spinning - they should each have some but be easily "hand spun" and they should both be similar. You could also drive the car straight for a while, come to a stop using as little braking as possible, and quickly put an IR thermometer on each disk (through the wheel from behind).
Old 07-24-2018, 11:38 AM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by BillDurant
Just had a re built rack & pinion installed. then got front end alignment, went out on the road and noticed it pulled to the right ( did that before also but bigger problem at the time was steering and vibrations )
took the car back to Kaughman Tires they re did the entire alignment and results the same
the car has new tires from 1 year ago. The car now steers tight with the new rack & no vibrations but pulls to the right slightly
What to do >? Older gent at Kaufman's owns a C-5 he said possible break calipers
I hope the food fight is over. Did you post the after alignment numbers? what was the caster and cross caster numbers on yours, @BillDurant?

Normally, for a street alignment, a bit more less caster on left front is used to compensate for road "crown." If your caster is higher lower on the right side, it will pull right. How much pull depends on how much right side caster is greater than left side.
Are the leaf spring end links original? Has ride height been changed? If the end links have been changed by someone who doesn't understand Corvettes, they can get the corner weights way off and jack weight into the thing. That can also cause a pull to one side. Nascar guys call it "wedge" and in indycars, there is an adjuster in the cockpit called a "weight jacker" that usually is only used on oval tracks.

The worst cases I've seen on corvettes is when a shop (unfamiliar with corvettes) changes just one end link, and tightens it all the way. A visual inspection of the end link bolts might be called for. Or get it on some scales and adjust the corner weights.

Last edited by C6_Racer_X; 07-24-2018 at 05:50 PM. Reason: corrected to show pulls toward lower caster.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:10 PM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

arbee and PDT...STOP, Its embarrassing, take it to PM
Old 07-24-2018, 12:58 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vette196
arbee and PDT...STOP, Its embarrassing, take it to PM

If you paid even the slightest attention to the thread, you would observe that neither of us has posted in two days!!!

Old 07-24-2018, 01:03 PM
vette196
Melting Slicks

If you paid even the slightest attention to the thread, you would observe that neither of us has posted in two days!!!
What is with your attitude? I hear good things about your corvette knowledge, but your delivery.....Not the 1st thread I've witnessed ...
Old 07-24-2018, 01:38 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vette196
What is with your attitude? I hear good things about your corvette knowledge, but your delivery.....Not the 1st thread I've witnessed ...
You addressed me first with a "scolding" which I won't take sitting down. This is very simple. The thread was dead and near the bottom of the page. The OP did not update it but someone decided to revive it. Then you decided the need to make your comment and now you are questioning my "attitude"?

Get notified of new replies

To pulling to the right

Old 07-24-2018, 02:01 PM
vette196
Melting Slicks

You addressed me first with a "scolding" which I won't take sitting down. This is very simple. The thread was dead and near the bottom of the page. The OP did not update it but someone decided to revive it. Then you decided the need to make your comment and now you are questioning my "attitude"?
Scolding...I said to stop. Revive old thread? I like to read through threads to possibly learn something and I have to read through endless quoted threads with 2 "mature" individuals...thats why I said to take it to PM

Attitude....yes you go right at people, somethings get lost in the written word.

Have a good day (thats nice, see )

Old 07-24-2018, 02:04 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

If arbee and I want to fight you all best pay attention. You might learn something.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:25 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by C6_Racer_X
I hope the food fight is over. Did you post the after alignment numbers? what was the caster and cross caster numbers on yours, @BillDurant?

Normally, for a street alignment, a bit more caster on left front is used to compensate for road "crown." If your caster is higher on the right to side, it will pull right. How much pull depends on how much right side caster is greater than left side.
I don't think this is what you meant to say.

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 07-24-2018 at 02:27 PM.

Quick Reply: pulling to the right