C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

cautionary tale MSD BOX

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 01:03 PM
johno504
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19
Default cautionary tale MSD BOX

IF, by some chance you decide your C4 needs an MSD CD box, MAKE SURE the box is mounted with the plug on the side mounted DOWN. This lesson cost me $900 to replace old style MSD6 that filled with water, with new MSD 6 DIGITAL that filled with rain water in only 50 ! miles and another$140 to have the box cut out and rewired to stock (sort of) , MSD makes a black "marine" box that may OR may not seal better than the red box . the SILVER DEVIL has given me never ending issues at HUGE cost . those of us that are at the mercy of $100.00 hour labor shops are 100% screwed. even at astounding cost, competent labor seems impossible to find . IF this sounds like a tale of woe is me thread, IT IS! I could own 2 MORE nice c4 just for the cost of repairs and pm to my LT4.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:54 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Where was it mounted that it was exposed to so much water? My Digital-6 Plus is mounted above the HVAC blower motor and honestly I never though to consider drainage when mounting it.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:27 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Yes, where was it mounted and where have you been driving that filled the box with water ?
Old 07-25-2018, 10:57 AM
BlowerWorks
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by johno504
IF, by some chance you decide your C4 needs an MSD CD box, MAKE SURE the box is mounted with the plug on the side mounted DOWN. This lesson cost me $900 to replace old style MSD6 that filled with water, with new MSD 6 DIGITAL that filled with rain water in only 50 ! miles and another$140 to have the box cut out and rewired to stock (sort of) , MSD makes a black "marine" box that may OR may not seal better than the red box . the SILVER DEVIL has given me never ending issues at HUGE cost . those of us that are at the mercy of $100.00 hour labor shops are 100% screwed. even at astounding cost, competent labor seems impossible to find . IF this sounds like a tale of woe is me thread, IT IS! I could own 2 MORE nice c4 just for the cost of repairs and pm to my LT4.
My opinion ONLY use the MSD Marine unit - MSD-6M. It's fully potted and analog - I do not like the digital. greg
Old 07-25-2018, 12:21 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

I used to run a 6AL analog box and now 6AL digital. No problems with either one. Mounted in my glovebox.
Old 07-25-2018, 02:22 PM
johno504
Racer

St. Jude Donor '19

Originally Posted by scorp508
Where was it mounted that it was exposed to so much water? My Digital-6 Plus is mounted above the HVAC blower motor and honestly I never though to consider drainage when mounting it.
the PO mounted the MSD box in the lower rt. corner of the car. the rt. horn was moved ( eliminated ! WHF ?) a bracket was fabed about 3x 8 inches long and the box mounted horizontal.
. location of box was about 6 inches in front of expansion tank. the box was the original style 6 , so it had been on the car for a few years I think. I power washed the wheel wells and suspension and must have gotten water in the box. had the car towed in, shop found water IN the box, new 6 digital box installed @ $900.00. NEW box failed in LESS than 50 miles from rain water ?. when the hood is raised after rain ( car is under a cover on the street) residual water in the head lamp housing would pour on top of the box, about 1/2 a cup or so. the shop I used put the new box back in EXACTLY the same spot, knowing the first box filled with water, but told me " we sealed it up real good with silicone". a few days and perhaps less than 50 miles later car cranks, wont start. the problem ? MSD box full of water, so I had my local garage just cut the POS out. returned with the box to first shop along with the $900 invoice, needless to say, that conversation did NOT go well. after all , it was clearly my fault.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:30 AM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts

This was like the first thing my uncle my uncle did on his car. That thing used to sit outside with that too and no hood... IIRC the older 6s were fully sealed... sounds more like poor mounting location more than anything imo. Sorry to hear you had problems.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:04 AM
johno504
Racer

St. Jude Donor '19

Originally Posted by BlowerWorks
My opinion ONLY use the MSD Marine unit - MSD-6M. It's fully potted and analog - I do not like the digital. greg
Old 07-26-2018, 09:09 AM
johno504
Racer

St. Jude Donor '19

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
This was like the first thing my uncle my uncle did on his car. That thing used to sit outside with that too and no hood... IIRC the older 6s were fully sealed... sounds more like poor mounting location more than anything imo. Sorry to hear you had problems.
I have seen hundreds of mounted MSD'S like that over the years,so it must work. but you must remember I own the SILVER DEVIL.

Get notified of new replies

To cautionary tale MSD BOX

Quick Reply: cautionary tale MSD BOX