C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Another rear end question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 10:04 AM
HM2
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another rear end question...

I know there are a bunch of threads about (D36)3.07s into a 2.59 housing. So I bought a 3.07 carrier and housing out of an 84 to put in my 89, however the guy I bought it from ended up cutting the axle u-joint straps off and into the axle stubs(yolks). I figured I could just swap my stubs in their place, open up the holes for the lower control arm mounts and call it good. Until I attempted to put the snap rings (from the 2.59 case) back on in the 3.07 case, only had half of the groove for the snap ring on both sides. My questions are... (1)What is the difference in the stubs, to make this an issue? (2) If I just put the 3.07 ring and pinion into the 2.59 case, can I bolt it to my 2.59 carrier and be back to the spacing I need for the snap rings? (3) Am I missing anything?
This car is just a cruiser, not a track car at all. Doing the swap to get the fun back in the car after putting a miniram on, and not realizing how much torque was lost at a stop light start with a 2.59 gear.
Thanks in advance.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:51 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by HM2
I know there are a bunch of threads about (D36)3.07s into a 2.59 housing. So I bought a 3.07 carrier and housing out of an 84 to put in my 89, however the guy I bought it from ended up cutting the axle u-joint straps off and into the axle stubs(yolks). I figured I could just swap my stubs in their place, open up the holes for the lower control arm mounts and call it good. Until I attempted to put the snap rings (from the 2.59 case) back on in the 3.07 case, only had half of the groove for the snap ring on both sides. My questions are... (1)What is the difference in the stubs, to make this an issue? (2) If I just put the 3.07 ring and pinion into the 2.59 case, can I bolt it to my 2.59 carrier and be back to the spacing I need for the snap rings? (3) Am I missing anything?
This car is just a cruiser, not a track car at all. Doing the swap to get the fun back in the car after putting a miniram on, and not realizing how much torque was lost at a stop light start with a 2.59 gear.
Thanks in advance.
Wow I would return the D36 center and ask for a refund, I cannot believe someone would ruin the diff yokes.....
That has made it a difficult swap, would not have taken long to unbolt the U joint straps. Bloody slack *** who did that with oxy acetylene
I have a 3.07 rear and run 2000 rpm at 70mph 1800 at 60mph with 275 40 17 tires..
The acceleration from standing start is great with the 3.07 rear, you may need to find some old 3.07 rear yokes.
Be aware the 84 had a one year only diff center that is not as good as the later years, bring it back and buy a 85-96 3.07 diff.

Last edited by gerardvg; 08-06-2018 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:36 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,018 Posts

Originally Posted by HM2
Thanks in advance.
There's very much different '84 (most all D36) and the '85+. If you bought a very early '84 D36 the issue you have I believe would be expected. If you can get money back I'd suggest it. If you'd like to ID the stuff you've bought maybe post the casing information on the housing and the ring gear information from the gear set. Had you bought an '85+ 3.07 you'd have no issues using your short-axles.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:11 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 317 Likes on 271 Posts

The snap rings are selective to set the end play. They are not all the same, even side-to-side. You can buy a set of different sizes, but "half a groove" sounds like more than that.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:25 PM
RicardoG
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
There's very much different '84 (most all D36) and the '85+. If you bought a very early '84 D36 the issue you have I believe would be expected. If you can get money back I'd suggest it. If you'd like to ID the stuff you've bought maybe post the casing information on the housing and the ring gear information from the gear set. Had you bought an '85+ 3.07 you'd have no issues using your short-axles.
I dont mean to hijack the thread, but think that it would help if you could elaborate on the main differences between the early 84 cases and the later ones? I am planning on building a complete Dana 36 for my 94 instead of going into the actual differential and swapping the gears. I would like to know in advance order to avoid possible mistakes.

Thanks for your time

Last edited by RicardoG; 08-06-2018 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:17 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,018 Posts

Originally Posted by RicardoG
I dont mean to hijack the thread, but think that it would help if you couldelaborate one the main differences between the early 84 cases and the later ones? I am planning on building a complete Dana 36 for my 94 instead of going into the actual differential and swapping the gears. I would like to know in advance order to avoid possible mistakes.

Thanks for your time
If the pinion shaft wasn't retained by a pin and if the ring gear didn't have an '85 or later date code I wouldn't touch it. I don't know that it's the OP problem but I know that early '84 short-axles were different and if a '84 differential 'broke' and was repaired using GM parts it would have required a case w/internal gears and a pair of the later short-axles. I've actually never had an early one in my hands. Not knowing how proficient the OP is - who knows. It wouldn't be an everyday occurrence for anyone.

OP is the pinion shaft retained in the case with a pin or NOT?. Maybe you just don't quite understand the rear.

I've never had a complete '84 on the ground to see if this information is valid or not. If it had a blown 1st design it would have gotten later internals if repaired later in '85 or much later in life. "84 early service parts I don't think were available much after '85 and maybe 'never'.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 08-06-2018 at 10:07 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Another rear end question...

Quick Reply: Another rear end question...