C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1985 Corvette New Clutch Grabs High

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 06:26 PM
Brad Belanger
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 Corvette New Clutch Grabs High

Hi guys! Need help! I changed my clutch in 2016 to a Bully Clutch Stage 1 while I was replacing the overdrive due to a noisy bearing and I decided at the same time to change the clutch since the previous owner sayed it's still the stock one at 60000 miles.

It was grabing say at abit more than half of the clutch out with the old one but since I put the new one in, it was grabbing at about the same place but it keeps on getting higher and higher overtime. I did 1000 miles with the new one now. Not really any signs of it slipping tho like I did a clutch drop to see the other day and she did a beautiful burnout.

I don't do racing or anything with it so I'm not hard or anything on it. Replaced the master 2 weeks ago cause it was leaking inside the car and the pedal is smoother but hasn't come up. Also I bleed it really well with a method I knew before and there is no air in there. The fluid was very very dirty but I cleaned the line and slave at the bottom with brake clean and air but it could be the slave the problem but I don't know.

If anyone else is experiencing this problem please let me know how you guys solved it cause it's really hard to find some info on this and I'm wondering if they all grab really high like that or is mine having an issue...Thanks!
Old 08-07-2018, 10:40 PM
RWDsmoke
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Belanger
Hi guys! Need help! I changed my clutch in 2016 to a Bully Clutch Stage 1 while I was replacing the overdrive due to a noisy bearing and I decided at the same time to change the clutch since the previous owner sayed it's still the stock one at 60000 miles.

It was grabing say at abit more than half of the clutch out with the old one but since I put the new one in, it was grabbing at about the same place but it keeps on getting higher and higher overtime. I did 1000 miles with the new one now. Not really any signs of it slipping tho like I did a clutch drop to see the other day and she did a beautiful burnout.

I don't do racing or anything with it so I'm not hard or anything on it. Replaced the master 2 weeks ago cause it was leaking inside the car and the pedal is smoother but hasn't come up. Also I bleed it really well with a method I knew before and there is no air in there. The fluid was very very dirty but I cleaned the line and slave at the bottom with brake clean and air but it could be the slave the problem but I don't know.

If anyone else is experiencing this problem please let me know how you guys solved it cause it's really hard to find some info on this and I'm wondering if they all grab really high like that or is mine having an issue...Thanks!
Does the clutch pedal set the same or higher than it did with the clutch fully released? Is it higher or lower than the brake pedal? My problem was the opposite, Had to push the pedal into the carpet to shift and stared rolling about a 1/4 inch off the carpet. The clutch pedal was about 1/2 inch lower than the brake pedal. When I replace the master cylinder I shaved a little off the spacer behind the M/C, Now the pedal sits even with the brake pedal and I about an inch of play on the bottom. It feels much better.

Quick Reply: 1985 Corvette New Clutch Grabs High