C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Finally, less drone!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 04:51 PM
RetroGuy
Drifting

Received 506 Likes on 311 Posts
Default Finally, less drone!

I posted this also on another long thread, but felt too excited to leave it hidden there:
My California model 1996 LT1's former loud droning exhaust set-up was as follows: Stock exhaust manifolds leading into two stock cats (one on each side) then into the single stock resonator, then leading into a pair of Magnaflows that had a slightly larger pipe leading into each of them. This set-up caused a loud cabin drone when accelerating, especially on an incline...OMG. Sounded great on the exterior, but irritating on the interior.
I just had a Magnaflow #12468 (a kind of resonator/muffler with an internal X-pipe design) installed replacing my stock resonator. Same basic size as the stock one with dual 2.5" inlet/outlets. It won't easily bolt on without a lot of fabricating of pipes/fittings, so use a pro muffler shop, unless you're a welder. I had a pro muffler shop weld the new resonator into place. Now The Big Discovery: This new Magnaflow resonator has the x-pipe design, BUT the old stock resonator had a straight through design of two separate perforated pipes traveling through the housing and never completely mixing or crossing the exhaust flow. The x-pipe mixing design of the Magnaflow resonator lowered the original loud drone of my rear Magnaflow mufflers. I was able to obtain a noticeable decrease in drone! I'd estimate it decreased by 20% to 30% even on the dreaded accelerating inclines. I have no sound reducing material plastered all over the floor or rear cargo area either. I guess I could always do that if I wanted to spend another $200+, but I'm happy with the reduced noise as is. My muffler set-up has produced no codes or warning lights either. I'm hoping I created a tiny bit more performance exhaust flow with the internal x-pipe design of the new Magnaflow resonator. Therefore, for anyone out there with a stock '96 LT1 exhaust system or similar that wants a more aggressive exhaust note with just a little livable drone...this Magnaflow set-up could be it. I was told my rear Magnaflows (polished stainless steel) cost the previous owner approx $400 for the pair. The Magnaflow resonator cost me $105 on Ebay. Even with pro installation charges, this is still waaay cheaper than a Corsa system, however with just a bit of livable drone. Rather large photos below...

Old 08-16-2018, 06:19 PM
RetroGuy
Drifting

TTT, Too significant to be buried...
Old 08-16-2018, 06:50 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Congratulations PM sent
Old 08-16-2018, 06:59 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

might give this a go on an l98. thank you.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:08 PM
TerryOlson
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I removed my gutted cat installing an inexpensive Amazon stainless steel glasspack in its place. I didn't have a droning problem - Allen's chambered eliminators in place of the mufflers - but this really improved the tone and actually the part-throttle response of the car. Same idea, just a little different arrangement on the '84.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:10 AM
RetroGuy
Drifting

Originally Posted by TerryOlson
I removed my gutted cat installing an inexpensive Amazon stainless steel glasspack in its place. I didn't have a droning problem - Allen's chambered eliminators in place of the mufflers - but this really improved the tone and actually the part-throttle response of the car. Same idea, just a little different arrangement on the '84.
Yep, every year of Vette and their set up can be unique when it comes to avoiding drone. In California we are stuck with the cat converters in order to pass smog tests. Hence the cat-back systems are popular.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:29 PM
RetroGuy
Drifting

So to reiterate, my original post about achieving reduced exhaust drone noise in my '96 LT1, that originally had the stock resonator & Magnaflow mufflers, was that the "trick" lies in replacing your old stock resonator with a Magnaflow #12468 (or another similar brand with internal x-pipe design). Once again, the stock resonator has a straight-through design of two separate perforated pipes traveling through the resonator housing and never crossing. So glad it worked, cause I was prepared to buy the "factory looking exhaust" that's designed as close to the original GM muffler as possible, from the Corvette Forum Store. The new resonator reduced drone and saved me some $$$. I was also able to keep the look of my rear mounted Magnaflow mufflers.

Last edited by RetroGuy; 08-17-2018 at 08:31 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:08 PM
Dr_Shakalu
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I first took off my mufflers, the drone was horrible in the cabin. After I took off the stock resonator and added a x-pipe, all of the drone in the cabin was gone. This is what it sounds like. There's not too much you can do in a California car.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:12 PM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryOlson
I dont believe your idea is just a little different, I think its completely different. But hey Im a nut job what do I know..
Old 08-23-2018, 01:20 PM
RetroGuy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dr_Shakalu
When I first took off my mufflers, the drone was horrible in the cabin. After I took off the stock resonator and added a x-pipe, all of the drone in the cabin was gone. This is what it sounds like. There's not too much you can do in a California car.
Your idling and revving sounds good, BUT the real test is accelerating steadily up a grade such as an on ramp. Hope your Vette's drone improved there too.
Old 09-17-2020, 06:17 AM
Gashousevette
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Idk why anyone doesn't talk about the OBX EXHAUST!?....I just installed this system (center resonator back) on my 87 and it is incredible!...quieted the car down considerably! As far as drone,...I don't have any that is bothersome. Sounds like a better now!.....

I had only muffler delets, and my car sounded like an ol Chevy longbed truck with a hole in the muffler!...lol

Old 09-17-2020, 08:35 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

TPIS LT Headers, Magnaflow cat and Corsa cat back. Now I can think and hear myself think in the car. The Borla cat back was droning in the city and loud and noisy past 3000. Wife hated being in it, much less driving it. Now she is ok with both.
Old 09-18-2020, 01:53 PM
Ronn38
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr_Shakalu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8wtUVL1VvM
Did you add a specific brand/kind of X-pipe, or just have the exhaust shop weld you up one?

Thanks,

Ronn
Old 09-19-2020, 12:44 PM
Dr_Shakalu
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronn38
Did you add a specific brand/kind of X-pipe, or just have the exhaust shop weld you up one?

Thanks,

Ronn
I bought this one from Amazon

Last edited by Dr_Shakalu; 09-19-2020 at 12:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ronn38 (09-20-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To Finally, less drone!

Quick Reply: Finally, less drone!