C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Side targa weatherstripping not fitting

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 04:31 PM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Side targa weatherstripping not fitting

I'm finally getting around to installing the weatherstripping I bought from Willcox a few years ago, and I've run into an issue with the targa weatherstripping on my '90. Since I installed one side, I noticed the top doesn't seat correctly. I know the targa top and/or windows must be adjusted to get optimum fit, but that's not the issue here. The new weatherstripping has an extension on its front edge that the original did not include, as shown here.

Old, passenger side weatherstrip.

New, driver side weatherstrip. Note how the weatherstrip protrudes over the roof's metal tab, and I've also noticed the corner is missing a bevel seen in the original strip.

The extra bit on the weatherstrip overlaps some of the A-pillar weatherstripping, which resists the roof fully seating and causes the window groove to not line up. I initially thought Willcox's A-pillar weatherstrip might be different to allow this fit, but this doesn't seem to be the case. I took the roof off and matched the new A-pillar weatherstrip up, and you can see that it fits perfectly to the old weatherstrip but doesn't line up right on the side with the new weatherstrip.

Old weatherstripping. Note how the window groove lines up.

New weatherstripping. Notice that the added section on the targa weatherstrip holds the B-pillar strip out away from the targa top, causing a misalignment.

I'm driving the car across the country starting tomorrow, and I really don't want to deal with the wind noise this will cause. I'm considering just using a razor to cut off the extra piece, but I thought I'd see if anyone else has encountered this. Any tips?

Last edited by C4ProjectCar; 08-17-2018 at 04:36 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:55 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 398 Posts

Maybe it's me but I think you have the Left Side on the Right and so on. The Flat end Extension goes to the rear
The following users liked this post:
C4ProjectCar (08-17-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 05:05 PM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Welllll... Yeah, that's definitely the problem. What a dumb mistake, haha. So glad I didn't glue it in yet.

I guess the LH tag was on the RH strip, and I was too tired to check.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:31 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

I didn't glue mine in and never had an issue with them moving.

Get notified of new replies

To Side targa weatherstripping not fitting

Quick Reply: Side targa weatherstripping not fitting