C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Can I hook up the B4P Cooling Fan if it isn't a factory option?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2002, 04:11 AM
TIMSPEED
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Can I hook up the B4P Cooling Fan if it isn't a factory option?

Car didn't come with the cooling stuff (radiator boost fan/tranny cooler/oil cooler) My question is, if I got the B4P fan (or a little better aftmarket one) could I just get a low temp fan switch and screw it into the head (would the hole still be there if it wasn't optioned for it? Would it be plugged with a cap of some sort?) Basically, can I just wire it like it CAME with the B4P option, or would I have to do it differently? Thanks!
Old 10-24-2002, 11:30 AM
into01000101
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Can I hook up the B4P Cooling Fan if it isn't a factory option? (TIMSPEED)

Tim-

I checked into it... MadVet, Corvette Central, etc. sell a B4P option kit. It comes with the fan, mount, wiring, relay, thermostat, etc.

Here is a link to the kit at Corvette Central, though everyone sells it.

http://www.parts123.com/PartFrame.as...rvette_Central

type in part # 244470 and search...

12 85-89 Engine Cooling Fan Conversion Kit w/ B4p Option 244470 189.95 Kit

Voila! B4P!

[Modified by into01000101, 9:34 AM 10/24/2002]
Old 10-24-2002, 11:34 AM
Hendej
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Can I hook up the B4P Cooling Fan if it isn't a factory option? (TIMSPEED)

I picked up a fan assembly from a fellow forum member. It bolted right in. I wired it to trip with the main fan, so now I have a pusher and a puller for quick cooldown and no problems if one or the other fails. The fan shroud has a flat spot molded in and a hole to mount the B4P relay, so I got the relay and wiring harness (relay to fan) from Jeff K, then I ran two wires. A heavy gauge goes thru a fusible link to the post behind the battery with the other fusible links. Autozone sells fusible links. A small wire hooks into the main fan relay on the fender well. The relay and fan are grounded where the CCP relay grounds by the headlight.

The head has a plug in it where the switch goes, which should be removable with some effort and the proper tool. As I recall it takes a hex bit modified with a grinder, but I could be wrong. Some day I'll put the switch in as a mechanical backup to the computer controlled fan signal to cover all bases.
Old 10-24-2002, 12:44 PM
TIMSPEED
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Can I hook up the B4P Cooling Fan if it isn't a factory option? (Hendej)

Thanks Russell. $190 seems steep for a fan that I have (broke off my old vette, and I kept it) and the wires to hook it up. But thanks for looking, at least I know it IS possible. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Can I hook up the B4P Cooling Fan if it isn't a factory option?

Quick Reply: Can I hook up the B4P Cooling Fan if it isn't a factory option?