C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Shocking questions

Old 08-31-2018, 09:39 AM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts
Default Shocking questions

I have a 91 ZR1 with the FX3 adjustable shock package. They are old, tired with 78k and need a refresh. Unfortunately, parts are scare and/or attainable. I'm considering rebuilding the actuators (Captain Z) and the shocks (Doug Rippie).

In the mean time, I'm thinking of putting on a set of temporary "regular" shocks so I can keep driving while my originals are being rebuilt.

I'd like to stay with Bilstein and they have two models; the B6 and the B8. I don't know the difference and tech support can't tell me either?

So, does anyone know the difference and what application would be best for just plain old "spirited driving"

Second question.... when i disconnect the actuators, is there a "cap" or something that people use to keep dirt out of the connection during the rebuilding process? Plastic wrap and a zip tie?

Thanks!
Old 08-31-2018, 10:10 AM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts

A quick google search says the b6 is a longer shock and the b8 is stiffer and slightly shorter. I'd go the b6 unless the active ride control also lowers the car at speed. In which case the b8 seems designed for that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shocking questions