C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

What Controls the Upshift and O/D Lights on a 4+3?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 09:08 PM
Matt81
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Default What Controls the Upshift and O/D Lights on a 4+3?

I'm starting to dig into my project 88 Anniversary and stumbled across something I haven't been able to figure out through the FSMs and forum searches. Here it goes...

On the test drive today (its first since arrival as the brake booster was cracked, making stopping a chore!), I noticed the Upshift and OD lights did not light up. The overdrive appears to be functioning normally, as I could engage and disengage through the button on top of the gear shift. It also felt like the ECM was controlling the OD as well, but this seemed harder to confirm.

I had an Autoprom in the ALDL port while doing the test drive as I wanted to check if the BLM was indicating any lean or rich conditions. With the car powered on but not running, I could see the flag for overdrive toggling between On and Off when I pushed the button.

When the car is first started and the dash lights up, the Upshift and OD indicators illuminate. So the circuitry in the dash should be correct.

The FSM shows how the ECM controls the OD through the OD relay, but I couldn't find anything in the manuals about how that signal gets to the dash.

Thanks for any help!
Matt
Old 09-02-2018, 09:27 PM
Matt81
Racer

Forgot to mention, car runs ok (not great). No codes from ECM.

Last edited by Matt81; 09-02-2018 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:47 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

This one is a bit tricky. The digi-dash gets a bunch of serial data from the ECM on pin D10. Two of the bytes of information are whether or not to turn on the OD light (if OD is active) and the upshift light based on the RPM parameters in the tune. Do your tripometer and gas mileage features seem to be working? If not it may be a clue the connection on that pin isn't very good.

There's more info here; https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1597768204

Old 09-02-2018, 10:02 PM
Matt81
Racer

I'm glad you mentioned the gas mileage function. It did not work on this drive, but the trip meter did. Would the Autoprom plugged into the ALDL port have disrupted the signal?

I have to get the clutch figured out before any additional test drives. The one today was a little scary at times!
Old 09-02-2018, 10:31 PM
LWesthaver
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 77 Posts

When you are in ALDL mode, portions of the digital dash stop functioning. This is normal. Once you disconnect the ALDL reader from the ALDL port everything should start working again.

The digital dash shares the serial data line with the ALDL.
The following users liked this post:
Matt81 (09-02-2018)
Old 09-02-2018, 10:39 PM
Matt81
Racer

Originally Posted by LWesthaver
When you are in ALDL mode, portions of the digital dash stop functioning. This is normal. Once you disconnect the ALDL reader from the ALDL port everything should start working again.

The digital dash shares the serial data line with the ALDL.
That is what I was hoping for. Lots to troubleshoot on this car .It has had a very rough time of it.

By the way, I have been closely watching what you've been doing on the raspberry pi radio. Very cool!
The following users liked this post:
LWesthaver (09-03-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To What Controls the Upshift and O/D Lights on a 4+3?

Quick Reply: What Controls the Upshift and O/D Lights on a 4+3?