C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Internal Lamp Wiring Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 04:18 PM
j3studio
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Internal Lamp Wiring Thoughts?

[1985, A4, very stock]

Sometime last year, the passenger footwell courtesy light in my 1985 stopped working—a very detail-oriented NCRS judge caught it during operations last October. I figured the lamp had burned out and put it on the list of things to fix.

It turns out that the lamp hadn't burned out. Instead, one of the wires had detached from the plastic clip that connects to the courtesy light assembly. Because of the psychotic construction the two wires that connect to the clip end up getting stretched any time the courtesy panel comes off—and sometimes otherwise. There is, of course, no play in the wires and they've hardened over the last 34 years. So, even though I was able to strip the wire and get to the light to work when the courtesy panel was detached, the act of re-attaching it pulled the wire right back out.

I believe I'll need to splice and extend both wires, and I probably need a new plastic clip. While I'm at it, I should probably replace the actual light bulb. Any thoughts?
Old 09-08-2018, 06:22 PM
Tod Stiles
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

When I got my 86 I found that someone had bodged together some bell wire for that footwell light. When I finally got around to fixing it I cut out the old wires and extended it about 10-12 inches just so the wire wouldn't pull when the panel is dropped down. I can almost lay the panel on the floor now with no pulling. I was missing the wire connector to the light assembly so I just used female spade connectors. Really makes life a little easier now. Not sure what you mean by plastic clip. the two prongs from the clear section that hold the connector or the wire connector itself. Either way those lamp assm. were used on about a jillion GM cars so I don't think it would be too hard to replace them if you want to.
The following users liked this post:
j3studio (09-10-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 06:40 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,290 Likes on 872 Posts

The plastic clip is probably ok. What is not is the terminal inside. You should be able to find the terminals at mouser or a couple of other places. I would then with new terminals make an extension harness and then plug in the connector.
The following users liked this post:
j3studio (09-10-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Internal Lamp Wiring Thoughts?

Quick Reply: Internal Lamp Wiring Thoughts?