C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Still getting fuel in oil

Old 09-10-2018, 01:47 AM
Philbar
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Still getting fuel in oil

I posted a thread several weeks ago about this and did a bit of investigating. I have the oil pan drain plug out and when I turn on the ignition the fuel pump kicks on and fuel pressure goes to 30 psi then I hear the relay click off the pump. Pressure immediately drops to zero and a few minutes later fuel starts to drip out of the oil pan. I purchased it with this problem. I was told by the previous owner he had replaced the injections, and the fuel pressure regulator. I have tested the cold start injector, and the return fuel line is clear. Is it possible, or reasonable to pull the fuel rail up several inches, leave it connected to the fuel lines, and turn on the ignition. I am thinking I will see fuel spraying out of an injector or something leaking. I assume it's a big leak as the pressure drops immediately. The car is a 1988 corvette L98. Any help appreciated.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:17 AM
ex-x-fire
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 150 Posts

Yeah, you can do that, just unplug the ign coil. You don't want any sparks.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:36 AM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 563 Posts

Since you know you have a bad injector why not send them to FIC for cleaning and testing.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:54 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by Philbar
I posted a thread several weeks ago about this and did a bit of investigating. I have the oil pan drain plug out and when I turn on the ignition the fuel pump kicks on and fuel pressure goes to 30 psi then I hear the relay click off the pump. Pressure immediately drops to zero and a few minutes later fuel starts to drip out of the oil pan. I purchased it with this problem. I was told by the previous owner he had replaced the injections, and the fuel pressure regulator. I have tested the cold start injector, and the return fuel line is clear. Is it possible, or reasonable to pull the fuel rail up several inches, leave it connected to the fuel lines, and turn on the ignition. I am thinking I will see fuel spraying out of an injector or something leaking. I assume it's a big leak as the pressure drops immediately. The car is a 1988 corvette L98. Any help appreciated.
Maybe they have been replaced maybe they haven't. Either way, at least one injector is stuck open. It is possible to do what you have proposed, but really you might as well just replace them all.

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 09-10-2018 at 07:55 AM.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:09 AM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 434 Likes on 395 Posts

There are only 2 ways that Fuel can get in, 1 injectors, 2 Fuel Pressure Regulator Vac. line. If the leak is as bad as you say if you carefully remove the Vac. line from the Regulator and cycle the key I would think it would show its self by pushing Fuel out of the Regulator proving a Bad Regulator. If not Injectors

Last edited by s carter; 09-10-2018 at 08:10 AM.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:01 AM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by s carter
There are only 2 ways that Fuel can get in, 1 injectors, 2 Fuel Pressure Regulator Vac. line. If the leak is as bad as you say if you carefully remove the Vac. line from the Regulator and cycle the key I would think it would show its self by pushing Fuel out of the Regulator proving a Bad Regulator. If not Injectors
Old 09-10-2018, 10:56 AM
topfuel67
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

I never trust a PO. IF they did replace the fuel pressure regulator, they may not have done it properly.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:03 AM
Philbar
Cruising

Originally Posted by s carter
I did pull the vac line and there was no fuel in it. As you say, there are only two ways for the fuel to leak so it must be one or more of the injectors. I wouldn't have expected a sudden drop in pressure if it was an injector. I would have expected a more gradual decline in pressure. Oh well I guess it's off with the fuel rail !!!!!!!
Old 09-10-2018, 11:20 AM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 434 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by Philbar

I did pull the vac line and there was no fuel in it. As you say, there are only two ways for the fuel to leak so it must be one or more of the injectors. I wouldn't have expected a sudden drop in pressure if it was an injector. I would have expected a more gradual decline in pressure. Oh well I guess it's off with the fuel rail !!!!!!!
you can cycle the key a few times and then pull the plugs if it is dumping so quick it should leave a Very Clean or Wet plug in the bad Cylinder/Cylinders

Last edited by s carter; 09-10-2018 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:39 AM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Whaleman
Since you know you have a bad injector why not send them to FIC for cleaning and testing.
This ^^^

They're cheap enough I'd just call John and order a set..

In fact, that is exactly what I did.. The Bosch III's are an upgrade and worth doing.

Heck, it's so much trouble getting the intake off, I wouldn't even give it a second thought.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:43 AM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

https://fuelinjectorconnection.com/
Old 09-14-2018, 07:45 PM
Philbar
Cruising

Getting closer to figuring it out. When the injectors are unplugged the fuel pressure goes to 35 psi and stays when I turn on the key. With the injectors plugged in (electrical plug) when I turn the key I can hear fuel dumping in to the engine. For some reason the injectors are all opening. Obviously it's an electrical problem. Any ideas where to start checking?
Old 09-14-2018, 07:49 PM
NavAir
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Put a noid light on the injectors. That will confirm that they are being turned on by the ECM. I had an ECM failure that caused the injectors to remain on all the time. Dumped enough fuel into the crankcase that I had to change the oil.
The following users liked this post:
xrav22 (09-15-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 01:29 PM
wsherrard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Really does sound like possibly the ECM or some other electrical problem. Pulling the injector connectors proves all of them can cut off fuel flow but something appears to be not allowing one or more of them to turn off.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:28 PM
wsherrard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Does it have stock injectors? Might want to take a look and be sure someone hasn't replaced the injectors and put in some low impedance ones and blown the driver in ECM. Of course there are other possibilities.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:50 PM
Philbar
Cruising

Originally Posted by wsherrard
Does it have stock injectors? Might want to take a look and be sure someone hasn't replaced the injectors and put in some low impedance ones and blown the driver in ECM. Of course there are other possibilities.
I have completely taken apart the fuel system. Removed the plenum and tubes. Removed the fuel rail and injectors. Looked at the fuel pressure regulator which is ok. Tested the fuel return line and it's clear. Cleaned and tested the injectors. Pulled out the ECM and took it apart. Blew on it and shook it while standing on my "left foot". Put everything back together and turned on the ignition and the fuel pressure gauge stayed at 40 psi !!!!!!!! Decided to put oil in and try to start. It started after much cranking. Blew smoke and crap out the exaust for about 2 minutes. Then cleared up and I have been driving it for three days now with no problem.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:24 AM
wsherrard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Awesome! Sure would be nice to know what fixed it but if it's working... it's working. Enjoy!
Old 09-19-2018, 09:48 AM
Bfenty
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts
2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Sounds like something was loose and in taking it apart you inadvertently fixed it. Nice! I would still seriously consider new injectors from Jon at FIC though. They're a worthwhile upgrade and you'll notice the power increase.

Get notified of new replies

To Still getting fuel in oil

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Still getting fuel in oil