12 volt air pump on Opti Spark ? - Page 2 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

12 volt air pump on Opti Spark ?

Old 10-06-2018, 08:14 PM
Tom400CFI
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by cardo0 View Post
My car pulls nearly 18"Hg vacuum which is close to 9psi.
It amazes me how confident you act for knowing so little.

The factory vented opti has an orifice between the manifold and the opti that massively restricts air flow into the intake. This orifice is way, WAY smaller than the hose that vents air from the intake snorkel to the Opti...so, the opti never actually has a measurable amount of "vacuum" in it. There is no "Suction", "sucking" water in, Cardo.

See that blue thing?

Get your facts right, learn some things, before you post horse ****. Could you do that for the forum please? Thanks.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 10-08-2018 at 12:54 AM.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:18 PM
Tom400CFI
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by MatthewMiller View Post
You don't know, because you don't understand the system.
Hey Matt...at least he's consistent from thread to thread...topic to topic. There is only one troll in this thread. It's not Matt...It's not me. Not sure who the troll is? Easy; who posts the most fact, and the most help? Hint: It ain't Cardo.

Hey Cardo? Why don't you use your Smog pump for an "opti blower"? Isn't the fish pump 120v AC? IDK....but the smog pump is already in the car.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:27 AM
fake
CF Senior Member

I do not get it would GM design **** like this and sell me a $40,000 door stop? What is the best way to go when replacing the Opti?
Old 10-11-2018, 10:05 PM
cardo0
CF Senior Member

No suction! What an idiot! No suction means no flow If there was no suction then there would be no reason connect to the intake manifold. Your imagination engineering shows again you can't understand how a negative pressure system works let alone a positive pressure system.
Yes that orifice restriction will greatly reduce flow and negative pressure within the opti but claiming an unmeasurable amount of vacuum is stupidity. You share the same problem as your Motor Mouth confident that talks of a vacuum pump somewhere insisting soneone test for vacuum to verify his claims the opti has no restriction to the flow. He needs psychological help to. Or maybe physiological help also with his head stuck in his own restriction. Oh I think he proves he's the dump azz he's talking about. Claims he's an aknowledged expert too. What a kook!
Old 10-11-2018, 10:55 PM
MatthewMiller
CF Senior Member

No suction! What an idiot! No suction means no flow If there was no suction then there would be no reason connect to the intake manifold. Your imagination engineering shows again you can't understand how a negative pressure system works let alone a positive pressure system.
Yes that orifice restriction will greatly reduce flow and negative pressure within the opti but claiming an unmeasurable amount of vacuum is stupidity. You share the same problem as your Motor Mouth confident that talks of a vacuum pump somewhere insisting soneone test for vacuum to verify his claims the opti has no restriction to the flow. He needs psychological help to. Or maybe physiological help also with his head stuck in his own restriction. Oh I think he proves he's the dump azz he's talking about. Claims he's an aknowledged expert too. What a kook!
If there's measurable negative pressure inside the opti as you claim, then measure it! Again, please prove me wrong. You're the one asserting the claim. Instead of calling people names and generally behaving like an ***, just prove your point.

ETA: You are stating that there must be negative pressure in the opti in order for air to flow through it: "No suction means no flow." Please note that neither Tom nor I said there is no suction anywhere. There is suction in the intake manifold and the port that the opti hose connects to. I'm sure there is suction up to the blue orifice he pointed out to you. But there is no suction in the opti itself. You're simply wrong about that. The only condition needed to move air through the opti is a pressure differential between the inside of the opti and some place downstream. The opti needs to have a higher absolute pressure than the vacuum source. As a matter of fact, the higher the pressure in the opti, the greater the rate of airflow will be! To the point, if you could create positive pressure in the opti (i.e. higher pressure than ambient), you would increase the airflow through it. That is literally how superchargers work!

If no suction in the opti really meant no flow, then the same would hold true for the intake manifold itself. And yet, the airflow through the intake manifold increases as the vacuum decreases. It's entirely possible for an intake manifold to have zero psig (i.e. no vacuum pressure), and for a naturally-aspirated engine that is when it will have its highest airflow at any given rpm. According to you, that's not possible. Even more possible, some people do crazy things like install a compressor upstream of the intake (aka "supercharger"), so that the intake experiences positive pressure! I guess you must believe that this causes the flow to reverse and shoot back out the air filter or something, LOL. The rest of us understand that positive pressure (you know, the opposite of vacuum) actually increases the pressure differential across the intake tract and therefore also increases the airflow.

Also, please quote any part of any post in any thread where I've claimed to be an acknowledged expert in anything related to cars or physics. One doesn't have to be an expert in anything to understand why the inside of a vented opti experiences no significant negative pressure. It's actually really damn simple to understand. In your last adventure in demonstrable ignorance, I did invite someone else who is an acknowledged expert and innovator to contribute to the thread. You'll remember him: he's the one who told you that you were completely wrong.

Last edited by MatthewMiller; 10-11-2018 at 11:21 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:57 PM
Tom400CFI
CF Senior Member

Yes that orifice restriction will greatly reduce flow and negative pressure within the opti but claiming an unmeasurable amount of vacuum is stupidity. You share the same problem as your Motor Mouth confident that talks of a vacuum pump somewhere insisting soneone test for vacuum to verify his claims the opti has no restriction to the flow. He needs psychological help to.(sic) Or maybe physiological help also with his head stuck in his own restriction. Oh I think he proves he's the dump azz he's talking about. Claims he's an aknowledged expert too. What a kook!
More nam-calling, huh? That's O.K. It's a common behavior from desperate people -and consistent with your other posts/threads. Excellent contributions, once again.

Now Cardo, earlier, you said this:
My car pulls nearly 18"Hg vacuum which is close to 9psi. I have a manifold vacuum gauge mounted on my dash. And I recall it's tee'd into the same port the opti uses
^The implication you were making was that the Opti housing has that amount of vacuum in it. That's how I interpreted it anyhow. If that's not what you were getting at...why even mention your manifold vacuum and the effective "PSI"? I don't see how you could possibly say or imply that, knowing about the restrictor that is inline, to the opti. I don't think that you were aware of that restrictor. I posted about it -even gave you a pic since I anticipated your denial of the restrictors existence...anyway, now you're nit-picking "negative pressure" that are so small, they would be un-observable on a typical vacuum gauge.

Let's put this worthless argument to rest; Cardo, "T" into your Opti Venting harness either between the restrictor and the opti, or the opti and the snorkel. Report back to us what your vacuum gauge reads.

Whatever the infinitesimal difference in pressure inside the opti vs. outside....it ain't enough to "suck water in", which was the whole premise of your "fish-tank-opti" idea.

I'm suspicious of the vacuum system drawing in contaminates (like water) through the cap and housing seals. A positive pressure system should be cleaner
Both premises, wrong. The thing is vented to atmosphere, through the air cleaner, so it's not under any meaningful amount of vacuum (easily provable with a "T'ed" in vacuum gauge), and the air is as clean as you'll get, under the hood of a 'Vette.

Let the name calling resume....

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 10-12-2018 at 12:02 AM.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:13 PM
WhiteC1
CF Senior Member

Tom400CFI and MathewMiller, My hat is off to you gentlemen! I'm not sure I could display such a level of restraint when faced with the insult-laden rants of a fool... I'm a Mechanical Engineer working with oil pumps (testing, development, etc) and realize like you (and most people) that pressure, or vacuum, is only created by restriction to flow. Oil pumps don't produce pressure, they produce flow (volume). If you want more oil pressure in your engine, without changing any internal clearances (i.e. restrictions), you get a high VOLUME oil pump, and up goes your pressure at a given RPM. Or, you use higher viscosity oil, which is harder to squeeze past the clearances. It's the restriction to flow that creates pressure. I know you already know this.

The simple tests you suggest would certainly convince almost anyone of how the system works. The orifice in the vent line is very small, so the engine won't have to deal with a massive vacuum leak (if it was hooked directly to the Optispark port without the orifice). Thus, the high vacuum exists on the ENGINE side of the orifice, with only a small flow of air (at atmospheric pressure) being drawn through it. The resulting small volume of air being pulled through the Opti is enough to do its job, but certainly not enough to create any negative pressure inside the Opti, unless the fresh air port was completely blocked.

I suspect I'll get dragged over the coals by you know who for not understanding the World we live in, but I'll take that chance. I've got your backs, even though you don't need it!

Regards,
John
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteC1 For This Useful Post:
MatthewMiller (10-12-2018), Tom400CFI (10-13-2018)
Old 10-13-2018, 07:18 PM
SJW
CF Senior Member

Correct. And there have been a few reported instances of folks accidentally choking off the fresh-air inlet side of this vent system (pinching the hose), and finding that the pressure differential that then develops has distorted the cap to the point that the rotor makes contact and is destroyed. In a properly-functioning OEM opti vent system, the opti housing interior should be at the same pressure (very close to atmospheric) as the air in the intake bellows where the inlet line connects.

Live well,

SJW

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: