C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Igntion changes help your LT1 resale?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 03:24 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
I'm pretty certain that there have been quite a few flatbed runs with the OEM Opti so how is that a guarantee that it doesn't happen with NOS OEM? Regardless if whether you can and will pay for the NOS OEM, they both can land you in EXACTLY the same scenario. The question you need to ask is "Is Optidoctor AS RELIABLE AS what I can get NOS OEM?".
i explained this in my first post.
the 92-94 have a design flAw - once corrected by adding a vent , they dont really fail

the 95-96 oem units dont really fail unless the vent clogs or some other issue

why is the opti or camaro or corvette issue? You dont hear about issues on the roadmaster/cadillac/ caprice / impalas !

to answer the OP’s question:

my c4 will go to its grave with the reliable OEM optispark. Never will it have one with a non mitsubishi sensor !!!

ok so you’re tired of my optispark rant. We will agree to disagree.

but can we agree that lower coolant temps might help any optispark last longer ?

Last edited by dizwiz24; 09-18-2018 at 03:27 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:29 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,453 Likes on 2,805 Posts

The same people who are going to try to talk you down because it has an opti will try to talk you down for co vetting it from stock. It isnt that the opti is a reason to not buy a car, it's like ls7 valve guides, or its bearings in porsches. It's just a commonly known thing that people who think they're masters of the deal will try to use to get a discount.

Here's some real spoilers... those guys dont ACTUALLY have money, and can't actually buy your car.
The following users liked this post:
1993C4LT1 (09-23-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 11:44 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,947 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
The same people who are going to try to talk you down because it has an opti will try to talk you down for co vetting it from stock. It isnt that the opti is a reason to not buy a car, it's like ls7 valve guides, or its bearings in porsches. It's just a commonly known thing that people who think they're masters of the deal will try to use to get a discount.

Here's some real spoilers... those guys dont ACTUALLY have money, and can't actually buy your car.
So you think people highlight problems of the item they are thinking of purchasing? Do you also think people try to raise their "price" when they go for a job interview by highlighting their positives too?

And you know this how? Because you checked their bank statements or you like to think so because it is soothing? Just because I can buy what someone is selling doesn't mean I want to simply write a check for more when I can get it for less.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:18 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

ive dealt with those kinds of ‘mr. I can get what you have cheaper than you can’ and they are the most arrogant pompous egotistical ****** i have ever met.

they know that the car isnt stock, or ‘has this voodo optispark’ when they go to look at it. If either was that big a deal to them, they wouldnt be at your door looking at it.

they try to make you feel bad and like what you are selling is worthless.

if you are dumb enough to greatly drop the price and sell it to them, they will brag/boast to other c4 optispark corvette owners about how cheap they got it for.

brag again that they sold it ‘for more than they paid for it’ 2 years later.

you cant put a value on the good times i had in my c4 at age 24 (and age 41 today, or age 85 in 2062). So i dont care if i paid more than you did because i guarantee you i had a better time in it than you ‘mr i bought mine cheaper’.

Ill never forget some bmw wheels/tires i sold. First off i am a tire engineer. Unless you are another tire engineer, you arent going to outsmart me on tires.

so this guy asks me about 20 questions.
Beyond the usual, any road rash on the wheels, what tread depths, what tire DOT codes (which is a valid question).

Like:
1. Were they road force balanced (yes sir... Balanced on the hunter road force match machine with tire high points of runout clocked to low points of runout on wheel AND dynamically balanced with wheel
weights, < 1 ounce per tire.

2. What brand valve cores were used (WTF? Who asks this), i answer back Myers premium high performance valve cores.

3. Lead or steel weights. Lead ultra high performance low profile clip on inside and stick on fine tune weighta (lead are usually lower profile and clear tight rims/brakes better)...

4. Nitrogen or air inflated? (Nitrogen was popular at the time )

so the guy has a laundry list of complex questions. Each one i am able to answer. He is hoping so bad there is something he can ‘make me feel bad about’ and ‘deserves a discount’

so after answering all his questions and him not being able to get an edge on me, he says ‘well dude you need to get real on your price’

i think i wrote him back and told him to ‘ F OFF’. Ill sell to someone else which i did

Old 09-19-2018, 11:30 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
You sure about this? It's driven off the nose of the cam which is 360 degrees for 720 of crank. Just like a distributor driven off the rear of the cam, the opti is driven off the front of the cam.;
Say what?

The opti has 360 slots for the hi res part of the wheel. There is one "on" and one "off" for each of the 360 slots...that's 720 points of reference, for 720 degrees of crank rotation.

What ever the case, what other ECM is looking for, or capable of digesting that number of reference signals? IDK...maybe there are some. I believe the LTx ECM literally counts the degrees of crank rotation while earlier and later magnetic pick up systems use time calc's to time the spark.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:08 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
ive dealt with those kinds of ‘mr. I can get what you have cheaper than you can’ and they are the most arrogant pompous egotistical ****** i have ever met.

they know that the car isnt stock, or ‘has this voodo optispark’ when they go to look at it. If either was that big a deal to them, they wouldnt be at your door looking at it.

they try to make you feel bad and like what you are selling is worthless.

if you are dumb enough to greatly drop the price and sell it to them, they will brag/boast to other c4 optispark corvette owners about how cheap they got it for.

brag again that they sold it ‘for more than they paid for it’ 2 years later.

you cant put a value on the good times i had in my c4 at age 24 (and age 41 today, or age 85 in 2062). So i dont care if i paid more than you did because i guarantee you i had a better time in it than you ‘mr i bought mine cheaper’.

Ill never forget some bmw wheels/tires i sold. First off i am a tire engineer. Unless you are another tire engineer, you arent going to outsmart me on tires.

To the victor, the spoils. Sure, they can't do it every day but if they can more often than not, like them or not, I would respect them for the ability.

For the right price, I will put up with it, assuming I am in the market. If your house is worth 200K as a "normal" house but you painted it in pink and purple polka dots BUT the price is good enough, you bet I will take it and paint it what I want or whatever.

Really? Of course they do. I'm trying to get an item for as low as I can as will you.

Again, to the victor, the spoils. You shoot a buck with a huge rack. Think you won't want it registered with P&Y or something? Think you will quietly get it butchered, eat the meat and forget it? I wouldn't.

See above. You like it done more subtly so you can pretend false modesty and say "it was nothing really" when we view your trophy, fine. Don't tell me it isn't some form of bragging.

When you are trying to value a quantifiable with a non quantifiable, you can name any price you want. And yes, If I were "Mr I can buy it cheaper", I guarantee I will have a great time smiling all the way to the bank about how I robbed you. That is the added "good feeling" part to the equation.

There was your problem. You didn't announce "I am a Phd in Tire Science" or he might not have tried it. Oh, wait. That would be bragging like you are doing now.

PS. Maybe you told him to fawk off and he found an even better deal.

Last edited by aklim; 09-19-2018 at 04:09 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:12 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,453 Likes on 2,805 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
So you think people highlight problems of the item they are thinking of purchasing? Do you also think people try to raise their "price" when they go for a job interview by highlighting their positives too?

And you know this how? Because you checked their bank statements or you like to think so because it is soothing? Just because I can buy what someone is selling doesn't mean I want to simply write a check for more when I can get it for less.
I get that it's a tactic, but as a seller it's annoying. And the point of this whole thread was would you get more money for swapping away from an opti. I think you made my point about it, that the same people who would nitpick an opti being present would also nitpick it being gone.

its gotten really bad, places like bring a trailer are full of nothing but the sleaziest of people, half of whom want to nitpick the shot out of stuff but never bid because they have no money. I think ebay is probably the best option right now, tire kickers cant really harass you so bad there.
The following users liked this post:
1993C4LT1 (09-23-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 07:01 PM
aklim
Team Owner

I get that it's a tactic, but as a seller it's annoying. And the point of this whole thread was would you get more money for swapping away from an opti. I think you made my point about it, that the same people who would nitpick an opti being present would also nitpick it being gone.

its gotten really bad, places like bring a trailer are full of nothing but the sleaziest of people, half of whom want to nitpick the shot out of stuff but never bid because they have no money. I think ebay is probably the best option right now, tire kickers cant really harass you so bad there.
It's (insert any trait here) only annoying when it is YOU (or anyone) that is on the receiving end of it. When you exaggerate your strong points and downplay your weak points, it is cool if YOU get the job. OTOH, when it is YOU that has to listen to that crap, well, suddenly it doesn't get as amusing. How long a minute feels depends on which side of the bathroom door you are on.

We have shills to drive excitement and bring up the price and we have those people you describe. It makes much more sense when you realize people are basically bad, My first car look see was "entertaining" to say the least. Sure, it had some miles but it was well maintained. Hell, look at it. Almost like the Smokey and the Bandit car. Back then, I knew more about human nature than cars. Brought it to a mechanic during the test drive. And if you believe he just finished a job and had an hour to kill, I have this bridge I will sell you. The pan was full of silt and black fluid. And it went downhill from there. After that, the seller wanted to lower the price if I was interested. No thanks. Buyers are sleazy, sellers are sleazy. Only person I know of that tells you the bad points without highlighting the good at the sale is my wife. She is forbidden from any buying or selling transaction.

Bottom line is this. As a seller, the Opti that is repaired is super. No problems ever and never will have any. As the buyer, it sucks and it will break down in the next few minutes. Dr Jekyl and Mr Hyde. A PARALLEL to the OP's issue is this. If you get a rebuilt motor by an unknown builder with a dirty shop in the sticks, I would be leery and be willing to offer less. OTOH, show me a receipt from say LPE and I would be willing to entertain your requests for more money. If the guy is knowledgeable, it might not be the worst thing, although, based on human nature, he might turn his knowledge against you. If the guy is not knowledgeable, stock (more known quantity) is easier to sell.

Last edited by aklim; 09-19-2018 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:07 AM
krackenvette
Race Director

Received 163 Likes on 110 Posts

I changed the Opti in the early 2000's to a DELTEQ. I have 2 DELTEQ brains and two extra sets of coils and one plate you set the coils on. Brain freeze of the name.
Anyways, I modified the internals of of the Opti distributor, buy cutting off distributor wheel and loctiting it all down. Runs like a champ.
Now, the Optis weren't he problem. I had an alignment issue due to debris and the hub wasnt seated properly, so the optis died, due to vibrations and stress.
I have an extra Opti, OEM AC DELCO. I will put a new cap and rotor on it, and swap back to OEM opti one day.. One day. Until then, I will use the DELTEQ
As far as value. People in the Corvette community will generally look down on modifications, as it proprietary, and not original. If a person wants a modified car, and understands all the mods, it may be worth it. But most Vette owners are snobs, so think before you modify..
Old 09-23-2018, 02:40 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

I sold my Ruby last Saturday. Only to buy a zf6 car. Anyways, I did the LTCC conversion January 2017. Which yes, still relies on the non distributor side of the opti. I had no problems with that system. Did that help sell the car easier? Hard to answer. I listed the car March 2017, so took about 1.5 years to sell. But at the same time, the buyer liked that conversion and he gave me my bottom dollar.

I know Tom says he's driven his car a lot, which he has. I'm on the hunt for 94-96 car for the fact that you can eliminate the opti. Torqhead. Cheap? No. Worth it? To me 100%. You run on a gen 3 LS PCM, still have ASR and ABS and factory instrument cluster. Makes tuning easier for mods.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:29 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by krackenvette
I changed the Opti in the early 2000's to a DELTEQ. I have 2 DELTEQ brains and two extra sets of coils and one plate you set the coils on. Brain freeze of the name.
Anyways, I modified the internals of of the Opti distributor, buy cutting off distributor wheel and loctiting it all down. Runs like a champ.
Now, the Optis weren't he problem. I had an alignment issue due to debris and the hub wasnt seated properly, so the optis died, due to vibrations and stress.
I have an extra Opti, OEM AC DELCO. I will put a new cap and rotor on it, and swap back to OEM opti one day.. One day. Until then, I will use the DELTEQ
As far as value. People in the Corvette community will generally look down on modifications, as it proprietary, and not original. If a person wants a modified car, and understands all the mods, it may be worth it. But most Vette owners are snobs, so think before you modify..
I think it has a something to do with WHO did the modification. I modified my car but I would be leery of a modified car if I do not know who did what
Old 09-23-2018, 03:37 PM
krackenvette
Race Director

Received 163 Likes on 110 Posts

The LTCC and Delteq ignitions were very easy to do. I have done about 20 Optis over the years. I bought mine in 96, my 93, and washed the engine. Mistake. So, I have been helping friends out for many years doing Optis. Mine I have done 3 before going DELTEQ. Thats when I found the true problem to the loss of the Optis.
Anyways, when buying a used vehicle, its a good idea to go over every aspect of the car with owner and ask questions. Especially modified cars.

Quick Reply: Igntion changes help your LT1 resale?