C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

'92 LT1 No dash illumination

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 10:29 AM
bille6
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default '92 LT1 No dash illumination

Has anyone else run into this? The fuses check ok although I haven't looked at the aux fuse box above the passenger foot well. The headlight switch dimmer slide has no effect
unless it's raised to switch on the courtesy lights. Back lighting for cluster gauges is working but moving the dimmer slide has no effect on their brightness, although I'm not sure if it's supposed to. I have a service manual. It points to Chapter 11- but there IS no chapter 11 in either volume. go figure (8. I assume there's a supplement? I've had the car for 7 or 8 months. To put it nicely, It was 'neglected'. Finally got it to the point where last night was the first real drive, about 12 miles each way to pick up Chinese take out. (8 I did a mini-
"restore" on it- so it has new tires, interior, stereo, lots of plastic trim that had been broken or was missing. It has new slotted rotors, newer headers, urethane bushings..etc. It's really just a driver but seems to be mostly ok now except for a few last bugs. Any pointers would greatly be appreciated. If it proves reliable, maybe do a repaint next spring.

thanks!
bill
Old 09-17-2018, 01:19 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

Where toes the FSM point you to chapter 11. I'll look at mine when I get home and see if I can follow their intended trail. With the headlights on the dimmer lever should change the gauge lighting so there is an issue.

What happens when you put your finger over the light sensor by the gauge switches?

Is this only effecting the cluster or are the backlights for the hvac and switches stuck at one level.?
Old 09-17-2018, 01:37 PM
bille6
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As my post states- the cluster is lit but it's brightness doesn't change when the dimmer is moved. The primary issue is that there is no general dash illumination outside the cluster-
except for the outside temp display- nothing else is lit regardless of the position of the dimmer. Putting a finger over the sensor doesn't change anything -

thanks for writing!
bill

Get notified of new replies

To '92 LT1 No dash illumination

Quick Reply: '92 LT1 No dash illumination