C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Inner door panels

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 06:23 PM
PatzwaldB
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Inner door panels

Hi folks, New owner of a 1985 Corvette. The inner door panels don't see to get tight at the top. The passenger one was really loose. I found a screw missing on the side of the door and that helped. There is still some movement and the panel doesn't seem to fit down all the way over what I believe is supposed to be the holding lugs along the top of the door. Any suggestions. Thanks. Bob
Old 10-01-2018, 08:24 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

IIRC, the panels need to be "hung" on the top of the doors first, then screwed/clipped the rest of the way on. Poor/missing window felts could also cause them to be loose on top.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:52 PM
PatzwaldB
Advanced

Originally Posted by Patsgarage
IIRC, the panels need to be "hung" on the top of the doors first, then screwed/clipped the rest of the way on. Poor/missing window felts could also cause them to be loose on top.
I don't remember seeing any window felts at the top. The outer drip seals need replaced. I will have a long winter to figure it out. Heading in for eye surgery Friday so driving is out for at least 2 months.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:09 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

When you buy the outer felts might as well pick up the inners as well.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:15 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

this was a common problem on many early c4's, and GM actually issued a technical service bulletin on the subject. try TSB-87-116 - loose corvette door trim panel, and a service kit. basically a couple retaining clips, and an instruction sheet. the kit has been discontinued for some time now. finding an NOS kit is damn near impossible, but shouldn't be too difficult to replicate. here's a link --

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...panel-510.html

not sure how well it works though. most times you'll also find the plastic sub-structure of the door panel in need of repair. BTW, I do have an NOS "kit" in my parts stash, but it's going to take REALLY deep pockets for me to part with it -

Old 10-03-2018, 08:25 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

OP, there is a very good solution for this if you have time.

can you take a good picture of how bad the door panels are overall?

i have far more experience than i would care ro admit fizing my 86's door panels BUT they are perfect now with fresh carpet.

can u take some pics and upload with a smartphone? try to feature the broken and trashed prts of the panel.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:00 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Joe, i tried that method using the L brackets from a hardware store. what i found was that for my door panels, and ive had a look at other friends early c4's and id say the warpage issue i found on mine would be prevelent for most. the L hooks i installed wouldnt suck the window wipe gap closed.

i found a post from somebody else, it was old and cant recall who it was, but this method is not my own:

remove door panel. CAREFUL of the wiring harness. there are a couple vids on youtube. biggest issue is the door lock harness. plan on using a box under the door panel to set the door panel on at the same height that it hangs on the door. move it inwars a few inches and you can fish down with an arm to undo the harnesses.

now inspect your INNER Window wipe which is attached to the interior door panel. notice the thin metal strip that runs along the base of the felt wipe.

notice that the inner door wipe and the underlying plastic is "hook" shaped in profile view.

now look at the door frame and inspect the upper, inside edge that the door panel "hooks" or "hangs" from.

there is a fiberglass surface that the door panel hangs on. and under SOME parts of that finerglass there is metal.

you might find while hanging the door panel that it (the plastic panel) is so bowed or warped that you have to exert considerable downforce to get it to fit right.

The solution is a quality metal drill bit, and tacking the panel from the INSIDE of the glass wiper gap, down through the metal strip under the felt, through the fiberglass, into the steel below. use black drywall screws or the smaller black ones commonly used in the vette. i used black drywall screws. size your bit accordingly.

the trick is to mark where to drill where you have the metal below the fiberglass on the door frame in an area where tou cant cause problems. think it through. u will see what i mean once you get into it. this sounds involved, but its really not.

tape the crap out of your GLASS AND THE FELT where the drill is drilling. with the glass window all the way lowered and your drilling locations pre-marked so you know you will hit the steel underneath, the biggest issue is burning the felt from the friction of the spinning drill. i protected my felt with tape. and paper. obviously use a hand driver to insert the screw.

This method sucks the warped panel in and closes up the gash to look perfect. you cant see the drywall screws unless you peel back the felt.

also note that i did extensive repaies using thin tin from a piece of b vent using dap weldwood. i glued the tin to the shattered plastic every where i could.

i zoomed in real close at the perfect angle and you can see the head of the screw here.

i have the new crc weatherstripping kit to install over winter and it will lolish these door panels off. carpet is from auto custom carpet.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:14 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

screw head
Old 10-04-2018, 09:50 AM
PatzwaldB
Advanced

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
OP, there is a very good solution for this if you have time.

can you take a good picture of how bad the door panels are overall?

i have far more experience than i would care ro admit fizing my 86's door panels BUT they are perfect now with fresh carpet.

can u take some pics and upload with a smartphone? try to feature the broken and trashed prts of the panel.
I would love some advice. Overall I think the door cards are in good shape. Tomorrow I go in for eye surgery so right now and the next few weeks won't be ideal for me to do any detail looking or work but I would like to get back with you when things are better.....I hope!
Old 10-04-2018, 10:00 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

good luck with the eye surgery! sending you some healing vibes!

Get notified of new replies

To Inner door panels

Quick Reply: Inner door panels