C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Tips for installing fuel door springs?

Old 10-03-2018, 08:09 PM
auto_cran
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Tips for installing fuel door springs?

Trying to install these new springs on my 84. Search shows some nice pics (thanks Hot Rod Roy, pmihaltian), but no tips - which I could sure use....

For those that have done it before... do you suggest removing the fuel door (6 screws), or doesn't matter?

And do the ends snap/clip into place - or just rest on the shafts?

And tips or suggestions would be a great!

Chris
Old 10-03-2018, 10:06 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

It is a bit challenging! With the fuel door in place, hook the bottom of the spring first. The spring will fight you. Grab the upper part of the spring with narrow or needle nose pliers and pull the top hook in place while you're pushing on the body of the spring with your thumb. Be sure you don't have the RH and the LH springs reversed.

The following users liked this post:
auto_cran (10-04-2018)
Old 10-13-2018, 05:59 PM
auto_cran
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Well I finally got those fuel door springs installed. HHR's advice is spot-on but here are some extra tips I might add for those that see this fix in their future.

For me - looking at all the pics, then putting the spring on in the same orientation as the pics seem too easy. And it was. In a couple minutes I had both springs on - "looking" exactly the same as in the pics, but the door still not working - and still flopping around.

Finally it hit me - they need to go on under tension/compressed. Now - that's when things become more difficult.

The first thing I did was slide the body of the spring onto the shaft - and do it so the arms are in the opposite direction of where they are suppose to hook to (short arm pointing at back of car / long arm pointing to front). Now pick up from HHR's post - do the bottom (short arm first). And yeah - it will fight you as you have to swing it all the way over (almost 180 degrees) to get it to hook. Watch out - if you accidentally let it go, the whole spring may fly off. Once it's hooked, do the longer one. I used some needle nose pliers as well as a pick with a little hook at the end to pull it between the narrow opening so I could pull it through - then hook it on. Once both ends are hooked on - you'll know it's right.

The first one took about 15 minutes to figure out and do. The second one took less than 5 minutes.

It's one of those things that it's easy once you know what you're doing.

Hope this helps others...

Chris

Last edited by auto_cran; 10-13-2018 at 07:20 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Tips for installing fuel door springs?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tips for installing fuel door springs?