C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Help! I can't get my damn bell housing off!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 12:09 AM
TheGreek!
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Help! I can't get my damn bell housing off!

Ok I'm about ready to start throwing wrenches across the garage, I'm having a hell of a time trying to get the bell housing off of my '96. All the bolts are out, etc, but it won't come off because the arm for the throwout bearing is keeping the bellhousing from coming off. I can't get the damn arm out from behind the throwout bearing. I'm going nuts trying to get this apart, any help is appreciated.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:43 AM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 466 Likes on 369 Posts

Pull the arm straight out away from the crank centerline, it will pull out about 2 inches and allow you to pull the trans.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:30 AM
TheGreek!
Pro

Originally Posted by bjankuski
Pull the arm straight out away from the crank centerline, it will pull out about 2 inches and allow you to pull the trans.
The trans is already out, all that's left on the engine is the bellhousing, flywheel, pressure plate, and clutch. The bellhousing won't come off because the arm for the throwout bearing won't come out from behind the throwout bearing.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:09 AM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGreek!
The trans is already out, all that's left on the engine is the bellhousing, flywheel, pressure plate, and clutch. The bellhousing won't come off because the arm for the throwout bearing won't come out from behind the throwout bearing.
If you take the bellhousing with two hands and rotate it slowly while gently rocking the housing, it should disengage the fork from the throwout bearing. Same procedure for getting it back on. You should be able to spin the housing a good amount. You have to have patience with it.

I believe I rotated the housing to the left until the bottom of the housing was no longer in the six o’clock position and instead pointing at three o’clock position or higher and I can get it to slide out.

Last edited by 1985 Corvette; 10-15-2018 at 08:14 AM.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:48 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

do it the easy way. See that big allen head bolt that's the clutch fork fulcrum? turn it CLOCKWISE, it will move forward, until it disengages from the bellousing. now remove bellhousing
Old 10-16-2018, 07:39 AM
TheGreek!
Pro

Originally Posted by mtwoolford
do it the easy way. See that big allen head bolt that's the clutch fork fulcrum? turn it CLOCKWISE, it will move forward, until it disengages from the bellousing. now remove bellhousing
Thanks, it worked, the bellhousing is off. By the way, the big Allen head bolt (the bottom of the clutch fork pivot bolt) is underneath a little Allen head bolt, unscrew the little Allen head bolt and there it is.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:21 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGreek!
Thanks, it worked, the bellhousing is off. By the way, the big Allen head bolt (the bottom of the clutch fork pivot bolt) is underneath a little Allen head bolt, unscrew the little Allen head bolt and there it is.
you're right;, on mine, and maybe most , that have had a clutch job, never get that keeper / lock reinstalled; if you loose yours, be sure to use a little locktite on the pivot bolt..

Get notified of new replies

To Help! I can't get my damn bell housing off!

Quick Reply: Help! I can't get my damn bell housing off!