Best affordable manual transmission for just shy of 407 ft lbs torque? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C4 Corvettes, 1984 - 1996 > C4 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page >

Best affordable manual transmission for just shy of 407 ft lbs torque?

Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Best affordable manual transmission for just shy of 407 ft lbs torque?

Old 10-11-2018, 07:13 PM
HPaddic3d

Default Best affordable manual transmission for just shy of 407 ft lbs torque?

I've got an 84 corvette with the motor out of it right now. Im in the process of rebuilding it as i go since its more of a sunday driver than anything. Ive had the engine ran at an engine dyno and it put out around 329 hp and 407 ft lbs. Anyways. Im aware that a tremec or ZF are good options but id like something that is more on budget. Used would be acceptable. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 10-11-2018, 10:06 PM
billschroeder5842
ZenVette Master level VII
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by HPaddic3d View Post
Anyways. Im aware that a tremec or ZF are good options but id like something that is more on budget. Used would be acceptable. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Get yourself a used ZF. The trans will handle (with ease) your engine out put and you will have a damn near bulletproof tranny. I'm not sure what you mean by "on a budget"...?? You might find something "cheaper" but it will most likely fail and need replacing. That blows any budget.

This is a Corvette; there are no suck things as "high quality, fool proof transmissions for cheap."
Old 10-11-2018, 10:14 PM
HPaddic3d

Hah! Well said. I'll look into the ZFs. Thanks
Old 10-14-2018, 12:59 AM
Tom400CFI
CF Senior Member

Bill is pretty much right. Common "strong" options are the ZF6, T56 or TR6060, or a Tremec 3650 (?).

A "cheap" option would be a T5...and that could last behind 400 ft-lbs if you're careful.....but it probably wouldn't. And T5's are that cheap or available anymore, I've noticed.

Other options that I've thought about are the NV3500 (out of a late '90's Silverado 1500).

There are foreign options which you could adapt, like a Supra transmission...but he gear ratios (5th/OD specifically) wouldn't be right.

You could try to find a late '90's, early '00's T45 from a Mustang, then use a Chev/T56 bellhousing. That might be the best/cheapest option.

EDIT: I went looking on our local classifieds and found THIS for $150. I think it may actually be a T45.

Also found this T56 for a pretty reasonable price.

There are options...few are great....none are cheap.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 10-14-2018 at 01:38 AM.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:39 AM
aklim
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842 View Post
Get yourself a used ZF. The trans will handle (with ease) your engine out put and you will have a damn near bulletproof tranny. I'm not sure what you mean by "on a budget"...?? You might find something "cheaper" but it will most likely fail and need replacing. That blows any budget.

This is a Corvette; there are no suck things as "high quality, fool proof transmissions for cheap."
In life, I have found that if it is cheap, it is wanting. Good stuff isn't cheap because it can't and doesn't have to be. Cheap stuff isn't good because it can't be
Old 10-15-2018, 08:47 AM
tequilaboy
CF Senior Member

What's wrong with the current trans? I'd be more concerned with the Dana 36.

The wide ratio (2.88 first gear) is a limiting factor, but the only way you'll ever put that much torque through the trans would be with ~3600 lbs on the rear axle (407 * 2.88 * 3.07) while at the torque peak at WOT in first gear. So if car can't maintain a sustained wheelstand or won't be used for tractor pulling, I don't see any reason for concern.

A new close ratio gear set might be a relatively cheap option to increase torque capacity if really needed. I've never heard of anybody re-gearing the 4 speed part of a 4+3, but I assume it is possible.

Might be able to get away with just a new input shaft, cluster gear and 3rd gear. Looks like first and second gear have the same number of teeth for all gear sets.

http://www.thegearbox.org/SuperT10.html

Last edited by tequilaboy; 10-15-2018 at 10:20 AM.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:57 PM
mtwoolford
CF Senior Member

Do you want or need an overdrive tranny? there must be a zillion Muncie and Borg Warner 4 speeds still out there; trick is to find one with the mounting points on the tail shaft housing to hook the C beam up to

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: