C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Puzzler

Old 10-18-2018, 07:21 AM
mikezi
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the help, LAST NIGHT I did manage to get it to run. I plugged everything back in, got everything set pretty good, it is idling but it still hunts and tries to die if I throttle it. I can get it to rev up but you have to feather it AND when it is at hi rev, it pops through the intake. I decided to let it hunt, the idea was to let it heat up and let it get into closed loop. Prior to this I had only run it a few minutes at a time. This time I let it run for about 15mis or so. THEN I noticed SMOKE. ALLOT of smoke coming from under the car. As the smoking was pretty bad, I shut it down and let the smoke clear the garage. Once the smoke cleared, I laid under the car and check for where the smoke might be coming from. The smoke was coming from the exhaust pipes. After the cats, the pipes had heated white hot. The Smoke was the pipes burning. AND I noticed allot of soot and water near the exhaust outlets. COULD A RESTIRICED EXHAUST SYSTEM EXPLAIN THE POPPING, POOR THROTTLE RESPONSE, and the HUNTING????
Old 10-18-2018, 07:56 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Originally Posted by mikezi
Thanks for all the help, LAST NIGHT I did manage to get it to run. I plugged everything back in, got everything set pretty good, it is idling but it still hunts and tries to die if I throttle it. I can get it to rev up but you have to feather it AND when it is at hi rev, it pops through the intake. I decided to let it hunt, the idea was to let it heat up and let it get into closed loop. Prior to this I had only run it a few minutes at a time. This time I let it run for about 15mis or so. THEN I noticed SMOKE. ALLOT of smoke coming from under the car. As the smoking was pretty bad, I shut it down and let the smoke clear the garage. Once the smoke cleared, I laid under the car and check for where the smoke might be coming from. The smoke was coming from the exhaust pipes. After the cats, the pipes had heated white hot. The Smoke was the pipes burning. AND I noticed allot of soot and water near the exhaust outlets. COULD A RESTIRICED EXHAUST SYSTEM EXPLAIN THE POPPING, POOR THROTTLE RESPONSE, and the HUNTING????
It could I would try this. Can you disconnect the system after the manifolds and see if it does this again
Old 10-18-2018, 08:02 AM
mikezi
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep, tonight Im going to give the exhaust a good going over, The heated pipe area is after the precats and before the larger single cat in the middle. So Im thinking that the middle cat is clogged or something.
I really, really want to keep this car stock, but if I cant get this straightened out, the TPI will be mothballed, in favor of an old school naturally aspirated system.

If I drop the exhaust and the cats are plugged, Im going for the rebar solution
Old 10-18-2018, 08:10 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Disconnect the middle cat and if it improves the cat is clogged
Old 10-18-2018, 11:57 AM
KyleF
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by mikezi
yep, tonight Im going to give the exhaust a good going over, The heated pipe area is after the precats and before the larger single cat in the middle. So Im thinking that the middle cat is clogged or something.
I really, really want to keep this car stock, but if I cant get this straightened out, the TPI will be mothballed, in favor of an old school naturally aspirated system.

If I drop the exhaust and the cats are plugged, Im going for the rebar solution
I had a Mustang 5.0 get a clogged Cat once and it had a lot of driveability issues until I put a catless H-Pipe on it. It wasn't getting white hot, but ahead of the Cat would glow orange/red.

Still sounds like you have a few other issues, which isn't surprising with a car this age. If you want to go Carb, sell it and get a C3. You will have some work to do to keep other things functioning after changing the intake. I will tell you, if I see a car for sale that should have been a FI car and it has a carb on it, I walk away. Unless it was swapped for a performance crate motor it's an indication of taking short cuts to fix things rather than properly diagnosing issues and correcting them.

The TPI system isn't that complex.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Puzzler