C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

94 6 speed low idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 10:21 PM
Thomastp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 94 6 speed low idle

I'm experiencing a couple of issues with my 94 6 speed LT1 corvette. First, I have an idle issue. It's idling very low, 500 rpms, and it stalls at times and other times
It’s fine. There are no codes. The first thing I did was to remove the throttle body and clean it thoroughly with throttle body cleaner and a tooth brush. I had this issue on my 2003 Suburban and that solved the issue there. It didn't solve the issue on my corvette.What would you suggest? IAC issue? The second issue is that when I start the car I turn the key and it starts to crank then stops, nothing. I release the key and try it again and it starts right up. I have 120K on it.
Thanks
Old 10-23-2018, 09:22 AM
Eilias
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Idling 500 rpms according to the tach? On these cars the tach isn't terribly accurate. Do you have a scanner to see what the target idle is? It would also tell you what the IAC count is. If the count was very high it would let you know the computer is compensating for something.

Check for loose and cracked hoses around the engine, and test the EGR for proper function, a vacuum leak could cause the low idle issue/stalling. Be very careful with any plastic lines around the engine. They get brittle with heat and age, and will break easily from bending or pulling the plastic, only pull (gently!) by the rubber connectors.

The second issue, the starter cranks the engine then gives up? Does it only do this while hot? Is it a constant issue or intermittent?

Quick Reply: 94 6 speed low idle