C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Where is the real switch

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 01:21 PM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 787 Likes on 564 Posts
Default Where is the real switch

I have a 96 base coupe. Still chasing a sometimes works windshield washer. Most of the time it does not work. I have super cleaned all contacts at the wiper motor. Sometimes if I push the washer button nothing happens but if I give it a few light wacks it will work. I know somethings (main wiper switch) in the wiper lever really work the switch inside the column. Some work with contacts in the lever (cruise). Does anyone know if the contacts for the washer switch are in the lever or in the column? Thanks, Dan
Old 10-23-2018, 01:40 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

I'm working from memory here but I think the actual contacts are in the switch inside the column. The stalk only rotates the switch. The wires coming out the back of the stalk are for cruise. I can give you a better answer after I get home and look in the manual.

If it were me, I would disconnect the switch under the column, need to remove the hush panel, and jumper the connector so the car thinks the switch has rotated and see what happens.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:27 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Wiper switch is in the top of column. Lever installs in it. Cruise uses separate mini connector. Switch also has dimmer pivot made to it. I would no try to whack it.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:14 PM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Thanks guys, I was hoping it was in the lever. Don't really want to get in the column. Dan
Old 10-23-2018, 05:17 PM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

I should have said I do have FSM. I saw from the electrical diagram that the washer button makes two separate contacts. One for wipers to move and one for washer. When I push the washer the wiper blades do move just no water unless a very small wack. Dan

Get notified of new replies

To Where is the real switch

Quick Reply: Where is the real switch