C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1985 C4 using non ethanol

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 11:16 AM
1985c4FL
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 C4 using non ethanol

Should I be using non ethanol gas? I recently had it in the shop because it stalled and had problems starting. The fuel pump and distributor was replaced and the system was cleaned out. I was advised to use the marine gas. From the time I left the shop, it started up just fine, and didn't stall once. My instrumental panel went out recently so I wasn't sure how much gas was in the car, so I put around $25 of marine gas into the car. On the way home later that night, It stalled twice. Once in the median doing a uturn, and once approaching a red light. This time however, I was able to start it again and drive right off.

Last edited by 1985c4FL; 03-19-2019 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:58 AM
BowerPower
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 1985c4FL
Should I be using non ethanol gas? I recently had it in the shop because it stalled and had problems starting. The fuel pump and distributor was replaced and the system was cleaned out. I was advised to use the marine gas. From the time I left the shop, it started up just fine, and didn't stall once. My instrumental panel went out recently so I wasn't sure how much gas was in the car, so I put around $25 of marine gas into the car. On the way home later that night, It stalled twice. Once in the median doing a uturn, and once approaching a red light. This time however, I was able to start it again and drive right off.

Do you think that mixing the non ethanol marine gas with the ethanol gas could have been causing problems? I just spent $1,200 in the shop for this issue and it is worrisome that it is starting to stall again. Any advice?

$1,200 for a fuel pump, distributor replacement and blowing out the fuel line and it still doesnt run right?!?! I wouldn't go back there ever! That's TOO EXPENSIVE for that work. Anyways....

Ethanol has nothing to do with your call stalling. That's just silly to think that. I run gas with 10% ethanol in my 85 all day everyday. You definitely have problems but its not the quality of fuel. You need to find another shop to work on it because clearly they didnt test drive it to make sure they fixed it. As a mechanic I see other shops do this all the time.

there is a good chance your injectors are getting old and leaky. Mine would stall when I'd take off from a stop sometimes. I really noticed it because mine is a manual but it can still apply. Also what codes does the check engine light have. If the light isnt on, make sure the bulb still works. Someone could have taken it out.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:18 PM
1985c4FL
4th Gear

I'm sure that sounded silly asking about the fuel. I'm definitely not a mechanic so I wasn't sure. They stated they were unable to recreate the issue, and it was starting and sounding great once I got it back from the shop. The only thing that changed is I put the non ethanol in and it was mixed with the ethanol fuel, so I was not sure if that would cause it to stall or not. I will have to look at the paperwork again to really see all that was done. I didn't drive it today, but if it keeps happening I may have to take it somewhere else. My dad gave me this car last week and he took it to this mechanic because he has known him for 30 years or so and he himself is a corvette owner. I am personally unfamiliar with corvettes, and cars in general for that matter. It was never one of my hobbies or something I worked on growing up. The mechanic definitely sounded like he knew what he was doing but you're probably right. Might need a second opinion if it continues.

Last edited by 1985c4FL; 11-02-2018 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:25 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

I have an 86. I use non-alcohol fuel over winter but ethanol blend over the summer otherwise I could not go very far from my local gas station. Access to non-alcohol fuel can be difficult to find. Maybe run a can of Techron through the car and see if that helps, or some Seafoam.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:56 PM
BowerPower
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 1985c4FL
I'm sure that sounded silly asking about the fuel. I'm definitely not a mechanic so I wasn't sure. They stated they were unable to recreate the issue, and it was starting and sounding great once I got it back from the shop. The only thing that changed is I put the non ethanol in and it was mixed with the ethanol fuel, so I was not sure if that would cause it to stall or not. I will have to look at the paperwork again to really see all that was done. I didn't drive it today, but if it keeps happening I may have to take it somewhere else. My dad gave me this car last week and he took it to this mechanic because he has known him for 30 years or so and he himself is a corvette owner. I am personally unfamiliar with corvettes, and cars in general for that matter. It was never one of my hobbies or something I worked on growing up. The mechanic definitely sounded like he knew what he was doing but you're probably right. Might need a second opinion if it continues.
By no means did I mean to sound like I was coming at you for not knowing car stuff. I was activated by people taking advantage of those who know less and giving you false and or bad information. The only reason I would put non-ethanol gas in it is if you weren't going to drive it for a few months.

it's hard to diagnose problems over the internet so I can really be much help but we will try my best if you need the help. I understand why he replace the fuel pump and distributor. Those are common parts to fail and cause stalling in a chevy small block of that era. On the other hand I do not believe he should have replaced both and charged you for it if the problem isnt fixed.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:19 PM
1985c4FL
4th Gear

Thanks for the advice. I will try to drive it some more later this evening to see if I have any similar problems.
Old 11-03-2018, 02:22 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by hcbph
I have an 86. I use non-alcohol fuel over winter but ethanol blend over the summer otherwise I could not go very far from my local gas station. Access to non-alcohol fuel can be difficult to find. Maybe run a can of Techron through the car and see if that helps, or some Seafoam.
If I were to buy another C4, first thing to go would be the injectors if they are Multecs. Once you fix that, you can run E0 to E10 fuel without tying yourself to a certain gas station. If they are Multec injectors that are fuel cooled, it might not be good to run solvents through the fuel which cools the coils like Seafoam or Techron.
Old 11-03-2018, 05:37 PM
car addict
Burning Brakes

Received 225 Likes on 177 Posts

Your dad knows the mechanic and trusts him. You paid the mechanic $1200. I would go back to the mechanic and give him another shot. That's just me. But don't go back apologetically. Nothing you did caused this. It just ain't fixed.
________________________________________ ___________________
As AKLIM noted, early C4's fuel injectors were not designed for use with ethanol and are a common failure. If yours are original to car, I would not be dumping solvents in the fuel.

Last edited by car addict; 11-04-2018 at 09:35 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1985 C4 using non ethanol

Quick Reply: 1985 C4 using non ethanol