O2 sensor wire? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

O2 sensor wire?

Old 11-03-2018, 05:04 PM
daveyboy

Default O2 sensor wire?

I bought a basket case '89 that had a different motor sitting under the hood--not installed, just on the motor mounts, essentially.

I believe the engine is from an '85 corvette and have been working to getting it running, installing the distributor, wiring, etc.

However, I cannot for the life of me find what would be the wire that goes to an O2 sensor (the car currently has headers that will need to be drilled for a bung).

Research has led me to believe it is a purple wire--but I can't find any thing of the sort.

I have found 2 wires on the drivers side that are cut/burnt--one is green with a white stripe (temp. sensor in the head?) and a black with brown stripe (no idea).

Can anyone explain or take a picture of where the O2 sensor wire originates from the loom on a '89?
Old 11-03-2018, 10:01 PM
dizwiz24
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by daveyboy View Post
I bought a basket case '89 that had a different motor sitting under the hood--not installed, just on the motor mounts, essentially.

I believe the engine is from an '85 corvette and have been working to getting it running, installing the distributor, wiring, etc.

However, I cannot for the life of me find what would be the wire that goes to an O2 sensor (the car currently has headers that will need to be drilled for a bung).

Research has led me to believe it is a purple wire--but I can't find any thing of the sort.

I have found 2 wires on the drivers side that are cut/burnt--one is green with a white stripe (temp. sensor in the head?) and a black with brown stripe (no idea).

Can anyone explain or take a picture of where the O2 sensor wire originates from the loom on a '89?
i cant answer your question, but want to tell you those are very sensitive wires.

you cant crimp or solder extension wires.you have to use posi-lock connectors and specific extension wire harness - if you need to repair them.

I had an idle rich condition on my 93, fhat i spent years trying to solve.

Only when i replaced the bosch o2ís with NOS acdelco o2ís and fixed the wiring (which had been extended due to long tube headers) did it fix the rich idle condition (and scantool indicated the bosch o2ís were working - so i believe the wiring (which had been soldered) wAs part of the culprit
Old 11-04-2018, 08:46 AM
playsdixie
CF Senior Member

I'd have to double check my manual, but seemed to me the o2 sensor had a wire that ran to a connector up in the wire harness right above where the stock one was.....I have an 85....
Old 11-04-2018, 09:23 AM
daveyboy

Originally Posted by playsdixie View Post
I'd have to double check my manual, but seemed to me the o2 sensor had a wire that ran to a connector up in the wire harness right above where the stock one was.....I have an 85....
Thanks--there seems to be 2 "major" harnesses--one along the valve cover and one along the frame.

Originally Posted by dizwiz24 View Post

i cant answer your question, but want to tell you those are very sensitive wires.

you cant crimp or solder extension wires.you have to use posi-lock connectors and specific extension wire harness - if you need to repair them.

Only when i replaced the bosch o2ís with NOS acdelco o2ís and fixed the wiring (which had been extended due to long tube headers) did it fix the rich idle condition (and scantool indicated the bosch o2ís were working - so i believe the wiring (which had been soldered) wAs part of the culprit
Thanks for the heads up--I gotta try to find the wire and start from somewhere or I'll never get open/closed loop right.
Old 11-04-2018, 02:48 PM
WVZR-1
CF Senior Member

If the original harness for the '89 is still in place there's a smaller ID conduit that has GRN/WHT, PPL (O2) and a couple grounds and splice extending from the larger engine harness conduit. I have an '89 engine harness here and confirmed it. Easy to see in this image. GRN/WHT is OIL TEMP. If the PPL is complete it would have a single 'Weather-Pack' on it.
The Following User Says Thank You to WVZR-1 For This Useful Post:
daveyboy (11-04-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 05:39 PM
daveyboy

Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post
If the original harness for the '89 is still in place there's a smaller ID conduit that has GRN/WHT, PPL (O2) and a couple grounds and splice extending from the larger engine harness conduit. I have an '89 engine harness here and confirmed it. Easy to see in this image. GRN/WHT is OIL TEMP. If the PPL is complete it would have a single 'Weather-Pack' on it.
Runs out to shop... That's it! MUCHO thanks!

I assumed the wiring was from higher up in the engine bay.

When I looked at the smaller loom you pointed out, all of the wires looked dark. Everything was discolored and I pulled off some of the conduit--and there was the purple wire!
Old 11-04-2018, 10:14 PM
WVZR-1
CF Senior Member

Runs out to shop... That's it! MUCHO thanks!

I assumed the wiring was from higher up in the engine bay.

When I looked at the smaller loom you pointed out, all of the wires looked dark. Everything was discolored and I pulled off some of the conduit--and there was the purple wire!
It's good that it worked for you!!!
Old 11-05-2018, 06:43 PM
gman35
CF Senior Member

Default posi lock connectors

Originally Posted by dizwiz24 View Post
Does anyone know where I can get posi lock connectors?? I had to extend my O2 harness when I installed my hooker long tubes. I always thought my rich condition was from the dual band O2 sensor and cat removal.I have not relly drove the car alot since the install. It runs really good but smells rich at idle. thanks, gary

posi lock connectors

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: