C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

VBP adjustable front spring

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 07:22 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by kellsdad
This is just a curiosity questiion for any who know the answer. If a monospring is rated at 1000 lb/in, does that mean each end of the spring (i.e., half the spring) is acting at 1000 lb/in, or does it mean a combined weight of 1000 lbs pressing down on the center of the spring will deflect both ends of the spring up one inch?
Good question. It means the former: if the spring is set in the clamps in the car, it will take 1000lb of force (in your example) to move either end up 1". It's not really half the spring, because the clamps are around 24" apart at their outside edges, and only about 1 foot of each spring extends out from that. But it's more than 1', because the middle of the spring between the clamps isn't constrained, so I think that about 1/4 of the inner part of the spring moves with the outer end, with the clamp on that side acting as the fulcrum. The rear spring isn't this complicated!

But that does bring up a useful point for the OP. If he clamps the spring in his car, he could use a jack and wheel scale and maybe a dial gauge to move the spring end upward exactly 1" and just measure the force. That would be the rate of his particular spring.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:23 PM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert
Since Vette Brakes is out of business
Ha, figured those those guys were otw out! They sent me the wrong gen kit then I tried to return it twice, the label they sent me was no good both times! And I had like $50 of credit from another mistake before that, not that I'd use them again anyway.

Quick Reply: VBP adjustable front spring