C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Puking power steering pump

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 02:43 PM
RockyL32
Burning Brakes

Location: If your not the lead dog the view never changes Boise, Id
Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Default Puking power steering pump

a few years ago I sold my 85 to a friend of mine and I just got it back. It has been sitting for a while because the power steering stopped working. The steering wheel is very hard to turn and it almost seems like the pump is pumping backwards. When the wheel is turned power steering fluid comes puking out the top of the pump. The rack has been replaced about 15 thousand miles ago and the pump was just replaced thinking that might be the problem...it was not.
anyone have any guesses?
Old 11-08-2018, 09:22 PM
Benny42
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 83 Posts

A low side leak on the power steering system can suck in air and foam the fluid. This will cause hard steering and puking fluid. It can be a very small leak too.
The following users liked this post:
RockyL32 (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 11:36 PM
RockyL32
Burning Brakes

Thank you Benny, I will start with changing out the hoses.
Benny42 (11-09-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 10:11 AM
RockyL32
Burning Brakes

If I am looking at this right there are only 4 pieces in an 85s hydraulic system (on the steering side): the fluid bottle, the pump, the rack, and the hoses that tie it them all together. Since I know the pump has been changed and did not solve the problem I’ll first get a new hose kit , per Benny’s suggestion. If I have the same problem that means it can only be the rack. The rack only has around 13 or so thousand miles on it but I just can’t see anything else in this system.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:03 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 875 Posts

It has been my experience when I open a Power Steering system up and then refill it that you need the bleed out the air before you start the car. I was told to Jack up the front end and get the air out by turning the wheel one direction and then the other to the wheel locks back and forth 10 plus times and check the P/S Fluid level while you are doing this. After this is done the car works fine afterwards. My old C3 with P/S and a Steeroids Power Rack held a bunch of air in it. I followed the same procedure on my C4 and had no issues.

If you need technical expertise I would call the people at "Turn One" in Saginaw, MI at 877-GO-TURN1 or you can see them on-line. These guys have really helped me with quality parts and tons of incredible advice when I modified my original power steering system..

Be careful with NAPA and other local "Rebuilt Power Steering Pumps", it is worse than a 50/50 that you will get one that was rebuilt properly. Spend a bit extra and get a better part.

Good Luck
Old 11-26-2018, 05:10 PM
RockyL32
Burning Brakes

I changed out all the hoses and cleaned the bottom of the car. The leak is on the drivers side of the rack itself, I can see it dripping out of the boot at the tie rod. Does this rack need replaced or is there a seal that can be replaced?
Old 11-26-2018, 07:44 PM
3D-Aircrew
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by RockyL32
I changed out all the hoses and cleaned the bottom of the car. The leak is on the drivers side of the rack itself, I can see it dripping out of the boot at the tie rod. Does this rack need replaced or is there a seal that can be replaced?
There is a seal in there you can change but you have to pull the rack to do it. Before doing it I'd recommend Lucas power steering restore … that chit works. If the seal is split open the Lucas stuff won't work but if the seals are just flattened it can rehabilitate them.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:49 PM
Benny42
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 83 Posts

I agree with rharker to try the magic PS fluid, you have very little to lose. The rack seals are available and not difficult
to replace (or so it seemed) so i tried to rebuild mine. It leaked worse after i swapped seals than it did before. YMMV.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:10 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by ctmccloskey
It has been my experience when I open a Power Steering system up and then refill it that you need the bleed out the air before you start the car. I was told to Jack up the front end and get the air out by turning the wheel one direction and then the other to the wheel locks back and forth 10 plus times and check the P/S Fluid level while you are doing this. After this is done the car works fine afterwards. My old C3 with P/S and a Steeroids Power Rack held a bunch of air in it. I followed the same procedure on my C4 and had no issues.

If you need technical expertise I would call the people at "Turn One" in Saginaw, MI at 877-GO-TURN1 or you can see them on-line. These guys have really helped me with quality parts and tons of incredible advice when I modified my original power steering system..

Be careful with NAPA and other local "Rebuilt Power Steering Pumps", it is worse than a 50/50 that you will get one that was rebuilt properly. Spend a bit extra and get a better part.

Good Luck
I have no personal experience with them but I have heard that they are pretty decent so that is the route I would go if it were leaking. I don't usually go for "Band Aid Hail Mary fixes" unless you are selling the car.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:03 PM
RockyL32
Burning Brakes

There is Lucas stop leak in there now but the leak is pretty significant. I might look around for a local shop to change out the seals. Just think it would be a shame to replace the whole unit, it is around 6 years old but probably has less than 15 thousand miles on it. No dead or sticky spots it just leaks.
Benny42 (11-26-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Puking power steering pump

Quick Reply: Puking power steering pump