Puking power steering pump - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Puking power steering pump

Old 11-08-2018, 03:43 PM
RockyL32
CF Senior Member

Location: If your not the lead dog the view never changes Boise, Id
Default Puking power steering pump

a few years ago I sold my 85 to a friend of mine and I just got it back. It has been sitting for a while because the power steering stopped working. The steering wheel is very hard to turn and it almost seems like the pump is pumping backwards. When the wheel is turned power steering fluid comes puking out the top of the pump. The rack has been replaced about 15 thousand miles ago and the pump was just replaced thinking that might be the problem...it was not.
anyone have any guesses?
Old 11-08-2018, 10:22 PM
Benny42
CF Senior Member

A low side leak on the power steering system can suck in air and foam the fluid. This will cause hard steering and puking fluid. It can be a very small leak too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Benny42 For This Useful Post:
RockyL32 (11-09-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 12:36 AM
RockyL32
CF Senior Member

Thank you Benny, I will start with changing out the hoses.
The Following User Says Thank You to RockyL32 For This Useful Post:
Benny42 (11-09-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 11:11 AM
RockyL32
CF Senior Member

If I am looking at this right there are only 4 pieces in an 85s hydraulic system (on the steering side): the fluid bottle, the pump, the rack, and the hoses that tie it them all together. Since I know the pump has been changed and did not solve the problem I’ll first get a new hose kit , per Benny’s suggestion. If I have the same problem that means it can only be the rack. The rack only has around 13 or so thousand miles on it but I just can’t see anything else in this system.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:03 PM
ctmccloskey
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

It has been my experience when I open a Power Steering system up and then refill it that you need the bleed out the air before you start the car. I was told to Jack up the front end and get the air out by turning the wheel one direction and then the other to the wheel locks back and forth 10 plus times and check the P/S Fluid level while you are doing this. After this is done the car works fine afterwards. My old C3 with P/S and a Steeroids Power Rack held a bunch of air in it. I followed the same procedure on my C4 and had no issues.

If you need technical expertise I would call the people at "Turn One" in Saginaw, MI at 877-GO-TURN1 or you can see them on-line. These guys have really helped me with quality parts and tons of incredible advice when I modified my original power steering system..

Be careful with NAPA and other local "Rebuilt Power Steering Pumps", it is worse than a 50/50 that you will get one that was rebuilt properly. Spend a bit extra and get a better part.

Good Luck

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: