C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Unknown noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 06:10 PM
ajd3rd
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Unknown noise

I'm trying to find the source of this noise
. It seems louder underneath the car. I'll be able to get under it tomorrow but I was hoping someone could give me some ideas based on the noise. It's a banging, clanking type noise and is directly related to rpms.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Old 11-10-2018, 06:26 PM
3D-Aircrew
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by ajd3rd
I'm trying to find the source of this noise Noise. It seems louder underneath the car. I'll be able to get under it tomorrow but I was hoping someone could give me some ideas based on the noise. It's a banging, clanking type noise and is directly related to rpms.

If it's coming from under the car, take a look at the exhaust system to see if the mufflers are on their hangers and not touch the frame anywhere. Also it could be the catalytic converter went **** up ... all broke up inside rattling.

Last edited by 3D-Aircrew; 11-10-2018 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:49 PM
Jitsu
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ajd3rd
I'm trying to find the source of this noise Noise. It seems louder underneath the car. I'll be able to get under it tomorrow but I was hoping someone could give me some ideas based on the noise. It's a banging, clanking type noise and is directly related to rpms.

I doubt it is exhaust related if the noise frequency increases with RPMs. I have been going through the same thing on my LT4 and you will hear a host of possibilities -- exhaust leak, fuel injector, stuck lifter, etc.. In my case it turned out to be a rocker arm that came loose.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:29 PM
ajd3rd
Instructor

It's weird. Sometimes I don't hear it and at other times it's more pronounced. It's tough to tell when driving on the highway whether it quiets down or the road noise drowns it our. It seems louder during acceleration from 20-40 mph. I need to change the oil tomorrow so I'll run it when i have it up on jack stands and see if I can pinpoint it.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:12 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Sounds like exhaust to me. Your video was shot while the car was not moving so there is no drivetrain noise. My money is on exhaust.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:28 AM
ajd3rd
Instructor

Default Update on noise

I jacked up the car this morning and ran it. I listened to it with a stethoscope and it seems the loudest when I touch the valve cover bolt above the #5 plug. I guess the next step is to pull of the valve cover. I haven't done that on the later c4s. Can I get away with just ticking in back on or should I go get a set of gaskets? If I run it with the valve cover off is that going to make a mess?

Thanks!
Old 11-11-2018, 10:51 AM
ajd3rd
Instructor

Default Update #3

I also have a 19k mile 95 LT1 coupe as well as the 96 vert with them problem. I almost never drive it. I listened to the same area and I can also hear a tapping but it seems less pronounce. Now I'm unsure of the next step. Is it possible that a lifter could only make noise sometimes? At times the noise is more pronounced and it doesn't seem to be consistent. I'm doubting it's exhaust as it doesn't seem any worse when it's cold.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-28-2020, 08:40 AM
DaOtherOne
Melting Slicks

Received 175 Likes on 138 Posts

Check your motor mounts for leaks. If they are leaking this may explain the noise and they should be replaced.

Get notified of new replies

To Unknown noise

Quick Reply: Unknown noise