C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

When jacking up vette?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2002, 02:12 PM
oldace84
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

Default When jacking up vette?????

I've been told its a good idea to open all the windows and doors...even the rear hatch...

Why?????? :confused:

[Modified by oldace84, 1:12 PM 10/28/2002]
Old 10-28-2002, 02:18 PM
Steel Blue 91
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: When jacking up vette????? (oldace84)

I know it's not a good idea to jack with the targa out, but I hadn't heard about opening the doors and hatch. I would think it would make the car a little more "twisty" with them open and just jacking from one corner.
Old 10-28-2002, 02:44 PM
vettmech
Drifting

Default Re: When jacking up vette????? (Steel Blue 91)

That was for older Corvettes. I jack mine up and pay absolutely NO attention to windows doors hatch or anything. I have had it on a lift or a floor jack and opened doors........opened the hood ........ all kinds of combinations........ no probs ever except sometimes it's hard to OPEN the hood if it's on a floor jack......... it binds the passenger side latch but it may need ajusting again. :seeya
Old 10-28-2002, 04:27 PM
John Row
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: When jacking up vette????? (vettmech)

That was for older Corvettes. I jack mine up and pay absolutely NO attention to windows doors hatch or anything. I have had it on a lift or a floor jack and opened doors........opened the hood ........ all kinds of combinations........ no probs ever except sometimes it's hard to OPEN the hood if it's on a floor jack......... it binds the passenger side latch but it may need ajusting again. :seeya

I've jacked the car from behind the left front tire till the rear wheel lifted. Didn't have a problem opening or closing hood, doors or hatch. Still had top on.

[Modified by John Row, 2:28 PM 10/28/2002]
Old 10-28-2002, 06:47 PM
Tom Mieczkowski
Racer

I've had mine up in the air a lot and haven't had any problems. There's a lot of stuff written on the forum, so you might want to do a search on "jacking". I crack the hood open, and the rear hatch. I don't mess with the doors. I've always jacked it up with the top in place.

I've developed a technique were I used two standard Corvette jacks on the front, at the designated jacking spots. I crank evenly on each side until the car is high enough for me to get my 3 ton floor jack under the cross-brace. I place a substantial wood piece between the floor jack and the cross brace and raise it until I can get my jackstands under the designated front jacking points. I then go around back and do the same - use the Corvette jacks to raise the rear high enough to get my Jack-a-Vette under the differential and then I use the floor jack to get the rear up enough to get the jackstands under the rear jacking points.

If I need to go higher, I just work back and forth, front to rear, so I never put a severe angle on the jackstands and just kind of ease the car up. It works fine.

When I get it where I want it, I add a couple of more pairs of jackstands just for peace of mind, and I ready to go to work.

[Modified by Tom Mieczkowski, 5:48 PM 10/28/2002]
Old 10-28-2002, 07:29 PM
Bill-35thAnvrsy-88
Instructor

Just jack her up...you'll be fine.
Old 10-28-2002, 09:14 PM
Bob86ZZ4
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: When jacking up vette????? (Bill-35thAnvrsy-88)

This is how I jack mine up.

(sorry, I couldn't help myself)
Old 10-29-2002, 10:28 AM
oldace84
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

Thanks Guys,

FOR ALL THE INPUT...sets me straight.

:cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To When jacking up vette?????

Quick Reply: When jacking up vette?????