C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Stalling after driving long distance???

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 06:02 PM
89’Vette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalling after driving long distance???

So I usually just drive my 89’ Corvette around town but today I decided to drive it to a town an hour away. My brakes are usually pretty stiff but all of a sudden while driving they got spongy. I had to practically hold the pedal to the floor to brake (brake fluid is full, no leaks) . Then I hit rush hour traffic after driving for 45 minutes. When I came to a stop the car died and the brakes locked up, I couldn’t press the pedal down at all. I put it in park, and it turned back on (I had to press the pedal down to get the engine going again) I drove further down the expressway with no problem. But once I got off and hit that first stop light, brakes locked up/died. It turned on again same as last time. I got to a neighborhood, and came to complete stops at the stop signs, no problem... it stayed running. What the heck is going on???
Old 12-04-2018, 12:11 PM
89’Vette
Advanced

Default Somebody? Anybody?

I cleaned out the throttle body, MAF. I know I do have a vacuum leak somewhere.
Old 12-04-2018, 04:59 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

It sounds like a brake booster problem. Make sure there's no vacuum leaks. I would change booster make sure brakes operate correctly. Then evaluate stalling if it continues. Booster may solve both.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:23 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,435 Likes on 779 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Kevova
It sounds like a brake booster problem. Make sure there's no vacuum leaks. I would change booster make sure brakes operate correctly. Then evaluate stalling if it continues. Booster may solve both.
My 89 had the same brake symptoms when the booster failed. Easy swap if you're handy with a wrench. I did not have the stalling issue but it is possible the loss of vacuum is causing it.

Last edited by Tally Ho; 12-08-2018 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:33 AM
89’Vette
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tally Ho
My 89 had the same brake symptoms when the booster failed. Easy swap if you're handy with a wrench. I did not have the stalling issue but it is possible the loss of vacuum is causing it.

I did several brake booster tests, and it passed all of them. One mechanic told me it could be bad seals on the master cylinder. Whenever I drive short distances and the brake fluid is still cold it’s thicker so it’s able to block up the bad seal, but once it gets up to operating temp the brake fluid is hotter/thinner it is more easily able to get passed the bad seals causing that spongy Brake feeling. Then once the car cools down the brakes feel normal again. And there is also a wet spot, I’m guessing brake fluid dripping down on a part of the car right below the master cylinder. Brake fluid isn’t low, but I also only had that spongy brake feeling for about 10 minutes.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:20 PM
Benny42
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by 89’Vette

I did several brake booster tests, and it passed all of them. One mechanic told me it could be bad seals on the master cylinder. Whenever I drive short distances and the brake fluid is still cold it’s thicker so it’s able to block up the bad seal, but once it gets up to operating temp the brake fluid is hotter/thinner it is more easily able to get passed the bad seals causing that spongy Brake feeling. Then once the car cools down the brakes feel normal again. And there is also a wet spot, I’m guessing brake fluid dripping down on a part of the car right below the master cylinder. Brake fluid isn’t low, but I also only had that spongy brake feeling for about 10 minutes.
None of this explains the engine dying at any time. A massive vacuum leak (booster failure) will cause it to die. A leaking master cylinder needs to be replaced but there may well be more than one problem.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:36 PM
89’Vette
Advanced

Originally Posted by Benny42
None of this explains the engine dying at any time. A massive vacuum leak (booster failure) will cause it to die. A leaking master cylinder needs to be replaced but there may well be more than one problem.

What would cause it to only happen during long distance drives though? It’s the second time the car has stalled going long distance. But around town it’s fine. And it passed all the brake booster tests.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:02 PM
Benny42
Drifting

A spongy pedal and a fluid drip aren't symptoms of a brake booster so it sounds like you need a master cylinder. How did you test your booster? They are a pretty common failure point on older C4s. I have 2 bad ones on my work bench and none on my car at the moment.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:11 PM
89’Vette
Advanced

Originally Posted by Benny42
A spongy pedal and a fluid drip aren't symptoms of a brake booster so it sounds like you need a master cylinder. How did you test your booster? They are a pretty common failure point on older C4s. I have 2 bad ones on my work bench and none on my car at the moment.
Turned off the car, pumped the brake pedal until it couldn’t be pumped anymore, kept pressure on the brake pedal, then turned the car on, and the pedal dropped about half an inch or so. The brakes haven’t felt so hard lately. They feel just about right.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:21 PM
Benny42
Drifting

Good. I hope its fixed.

Get notified of new replies

To Stalling after driving long distance???

Quick Reply: Stalling after driving long distance???