C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

86 Pace Car head gasket replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 09:29 PM
Ffranzwa
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 86 Pace Car head gasket replacement

I am replacing the head gaskets on my 86 Pace Car and I am planning on replacing all the wear parts while its disassembled. I was planning on new injectors until I realized the Bosch wants about $400 for the set. Will refurbished (about $100) be any better than me rebuilding the OEM injectors?
Also, when I pulled the intake, there was restrictor plates on the water jackets, apparently to restrict the water flow. (?). Anyway, they got damaged while I was scraping the surface where the gasket was. Does a new gasket come with new plates and if not, are they necessary?

Last edited by Ffranzwa; 12-15-2018 at 09:33 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:05 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Where is the $100 set coming from? If it is a reputable place, sure. If it isn't, well..... As to your old injectors. If they are Multecs, put them with the scraped gasket material. The Bosch ones are going to be ethanol resistant or you will have to chain yourself to places selling pure gas which is an unnecessary PITA.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:28 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Bosch is worth every penny, another vote for tossing the Multecs in the trash. BTDT wasted 200 and a lot of labor
Old 12-20-2018, 07:35 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Check with FIC - you can get Bosch 3 Remans for a good price.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:39 PM
IBVETN2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by hcbph
Check with FIC - you can get Bosch 3 Remans for a good price.
I have used several sets of reman Bosch 3's from FIC and they work flawlessly. Another vote to throw the Multecs in the trash. The owner at FIC,Jon, I think, is very helpful.
I think they might be having a sale now, I recently got an email from them.

Last edited by IBVETN2; 12-20-2018 at 11:41 PM.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:12 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by IBVETN2
I have used several sets of reman Bosch 3's from FIC and they work flawlessly. Another vote to throw the Multecs in the trash. The owner at FIC,Jon, I think, is very helpful.
I think they might be having a sale now, I recently got an email from them.
More important, IMO is that he runs an honest shop. Can his staff do something behind his back? Sure. Possible but I haven't seen it yet. I have sent him tested sets for cleaning. His "before" numbers matched what I had tested at a flow bench and his "after" numbers were tested. Did that a couple times. Reasonably confident he didn't fudge his numbers to show he had done work he didn't. I contacted him about an injector and he asked if I was running some high pressure that might have caused a filter to collapse and lousy "before" number for that one injector. So he did do testing. I tested after he did the work and it was about what he had for "after" numbers.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:21 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

another for a set of bosch3's from FIC (multi-X repeat customer). a set of "rebuilds" with gaskets will set you back around 2-bills. as for the coolant flow restrictors used with aluminum heads, on my 90, I opted to go without restrictors. FWIW, I used a manifold gasket set from an iron head L98. most aluminum head replacement gaskets have built-in restrictors - iron head versions have open ports, front/rear. seems there are a few folks around here that go that route, and really haven't heard of anyone having issues. it seems that the restricted coolant flow, may contribute to head gasket failures, especially around the #7 and #8 cylinders. I think I have an understanding of why the restrictors are there, but not 100% proof-positive. if there was a benefit, IMO, the bad outweights the good. on my 90, I kept the "steam" tube intact, and other than the gasket(s), everything remained factory configured. just the term "steam tube" used on an engine didn't give me a warm-fuzzy. anyway, I drove the car several years, around 10K miles, and did not experience any abnormal cooling or temperature related issues. as far as I could tell, everything was normal. my 2-cents - if I were to do it again, i'd again opt for no-restrictors. good luck on the repairs!

Last edited by Joe C; 12-21-2018 at 03:26 AM.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:01 AM
Ffranzwa
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to everyone for the great advice!

Get notified of new replies

To 86 Pace Car head gasket replacement

Quick Reply: 86 Pace Car head gasket replacement