C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Engine turns over but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 08:55 PM
remun
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine turns over but won't start

I bought my grandson an 85 coupe about 6 months ago. he has driven it around 1000 miles. He drove it to college one morning, again at lunch, and after class he tried to start it. It will spin over but not getting any spark. Also noticed that the speedometer and tach had stopped lighting up when the key was turned on. We replaced the coil, dist. cap, and rotor. Still no spark. Can anyone give me any advice on what to check next? Thanks.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:15 PM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

When you replace the pieces, you need to do the ignition control module(ICM) also. It is the thing under the rotor. As for the dash, you can tru to tap it from the side, and see if it lights up.
Bulbs may have went out. Make sure grounds are clean , for sure next to the battery and above oil filter.
Good Luck.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:56 PM
remun
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I'll order a new ICM
Old 12-20-2018, 10:42 AM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

Here is a tip, you are supposed to put thermal paste( like you do when installing a cpu in a computer) under the ICM make sure it is very clean and put a thin layer(like a cpu).
I am using a standard motor product one from rock auto. Take a pic of the wires and make sure they are on all the way. Check your oil pressure and fuel senders to make sure the wires are hooked up while you
have the rotor off. Other than distributor turned to far(not tight enough) or a wire fell off the distibutor , it should run.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:36 AM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 875 Posts

I would use an alcohol pad to wipe clean the surface before putting the thermal transfer paste on the distributor. It is what you do on a CPU as well, cleanliness is important to the lifespan of the ICM.

Merry Christmas and may you have a wonderful New Year full of great "Corvette experiences"!
Old 12-20-2018, 12:07 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 398 Posts

All advise is pretty spot on but with a basic test light check the Hot lead going to coil make sure 12 Volts is there. also try Starting with Tach not connected just in case it's grounding out.

Just as a to confirm that all that was replaced is correct, when you replaced the Cap did you bring over the Ground Bridge from old cap if new one didn't already have one. I have seen some fairly experienced people totally forget it and scratch their heads for it.

Last edited by s carter; 12-20-2018 at 12:59 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine turns over but won't start

Quick Reply: Engine turns over but won't start