C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Zaino vs. Ceramacoat?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 05:41 PM
PoprocksC4
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Zaino vs. Ceramacoat?

Anyone have experience with the Zaino products?
my paint is 25 yrs old but been garage kept all its life. I'm looking to get out minor scratches and get a wet look shine.
a local detailer wants $1k to prep and use ceramacoat.
i appreciate your opinions and experience.

Old 01-06-2019, 06:39 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Yeah. There is a Z5 zaino that says something like ‘worlds best polish’ on the bottle.

it claims it works by ‘filling in’ scratches. As opposed to abrading the rest of the clear coat to make it worse so it matches the scratches (like the abrasive polishes do).

i cant remember if you need to use zainos z1 prep stuff first.

No idea what cerama coat is.

my car is black so sure one side looks great and the other you can see some spidering. Zaino z5 helped but its not gonna make it perfect. I wouldnt monkey around with more than 2 coats of z5.

extra coats of wax can then be put on to ‘bury’ the fine clear coat scratches .

life was good until i moved (to well water) and washed the car, then ‘waxed’ over water spots (from hard water). Trapping them in.

I have now learned to add a tablespoon or so of vinegar to a bucket of rinse water and dump that over the car as a final rinse !
Old 01-06-2019, 08:45 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,289 Likes on 871 Posts

Zaino still exists?
Old 01-06-2019, 10:11 PM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 789 Likes on 565 Posts

You will get all the answers you want if you go up top left to forums. Scroll down to "General Corvette topics" That will open another list of options choose "Car care discussion". These guys live and breath this full time. Dan
Old 01-07-2019, 08:22 AM
JCrock
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

:My 70 SS Nova is black and has old, somewhat tired paint. I too found that Zaino and then a good carnauba wax would hide most of the hazy scratches. I figured I can do a lot of waxing for $1000. :yesnod
Old 01-07-2019, 10:01 AM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

Zaino user since '99....give me a thousand dollars, a day and my Zaino bucket
Old 01-08-2019, 10:43 AM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Received 521 Likes on 394 Posts

Ceramic coatings are GREAT, but the underlying paint has to be perfect. $1000 seems cheap to me as the product the detailer will likely put on is probably $200 plus probably another $100 in product for the paint correction. To do a car correctly with full paint correction(wash, clay, polish, wash, de-grease) to get it ready for ceramic, then to do the ceramic is at least a full days work if not more.

You cant just put ceramic on any ol paint and expect it to look great... just not the way it works.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:59 AM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

I had never heard of it until Christmas. My nephew purchased a 2019 mustang gt. The dealer charged him $500.00 and is supposed to be good for 5 years.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:42 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

This reminds me of back when I was perusing the C6 "Tech/Performance" forums. We'd have endless Zaino vs. Rejex discussions. In Tech.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:45 PM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,689 Posts

I've used Zaino products on my C5 for 6 years now...nothing beats it !!..applying the product is the easiest thing...and it doesn't cloud up like Carnuba wax so you can put an extra few coats on...I think I have 4 or 5 coats on right now...just follow the process on their website if you do purchase it...if you live in NJ like me you can't order the stuff here and have it delivered here...has to do with FTC regulations I heard and Sal Zaino would have to list all the "secret ingredients" which he does not want to do...best to buff out all your scratches before you apply the sealant...their tire shine product is also excellent !!
Old 01-08-2019, 01:54 PM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by C5 Diag
I've used Zaino products on my C5 for 6 years now...nothing beats it !!..applying the product is the easiest thing...and it doesn't cloud up like Carnuba wax so you can put an extra few coats on...I think I have 4 or 5 coats on right now...just follow the process on their website if you do purchase it...if you live in NJ like me you can't order the stuff here and have it delivered here...has to do with FTC regulations I heard and Sal Zaino would have to list all the "secret ingredients" which he does not want to do...best to buff out all your scratches before you apply the sealant...their tire shine product is also excellent !!
My '99 Firehawk had 50+ coats of Zaino

Key is "less is more"....if you apply too much Zaino polish it will not cure properly. No buffing needed on surface swirls...clay and 3+ coats of Z5 polish and it should do the trick

Sal can't sell in NJ, but there is a Pa. distributor (if interseted let me know and I'll post his website
Old 01-08-2019, 02:25 PM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,689 Posts

Originally Posted by vette196
My '99 Firehawk had 50+ coats of Zaino

Key is "less is more"....if you apply too much Zaino polish it will not cure properly. No buffing needed on surface swirls...clay and 3+ coats of Z5 polish and it should do the trick

Sal can't sell in NJ, but there is a Pa. distributor (if interseted let me know and I'll post his website
Yes !!...less is more !!...I use the accelerator if I want to not wait the required 24 hours cure time and apply 2 coats in a day... I have a performance shop 30 minutes from me that sells his products !!
Old 01-08-2019, 05:12 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

A grand to make it shinier? I dont get it...I hope you get the result youre looking for.
Any painters in the house, could he have some clear laid down on top of what he has if it was prepped for it? That would hide any fine stuff for many years.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:02 AM
KyleF
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
A grand to make it shinier? I dont get it...I hope you get the result youre looking for.
Any painters in the house, could he have some clear laid down on top of what he has if it was prepped for it? That would hide any fine stuff for many years.
My brother has a paint shop. A short answer is no. You know the old saying, 90% of the pain appearance is in the prep. Unless something is done to fill and smooth imperfections, a new coat will just make them look worse. A good paint job doesn't have to be taken down to the bare metal (Fiberglass in this case), but at minimum the entire surface will need to be sanded and coat of color and a few coats of clear will be in order. Then you start talking about prepping the car for the activities. removing the lights, emblems, covering seals and glass, etc.

Most of the money in paint truly is in the prep and labor. 1 coat or 10, still have to do the same prep to the car.

There are no shortcuts to a good looking paint job.

Last edited by KyleF; 01-09-2019 at 09:03 AM.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:23 AM
PoprocksC4
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Thank you. I'll let you all know how it turns out

While I'm sure the Ceramacoat is superior, it is a grand. and needs to be applied by a shop. I believe giving the ZAINO kit for a hundred bucks is worth the effort. Lot of you guys are lovin it. Hardest part is, it'll be June before the weather @ 9000 ft. is consistently warm enough to do the job.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:02 AM
cadmaniac
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Just remember, most ceramic coatings can only be removed by sanding them off, and the if possible buffing.

I'd go with the Zaino.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:09 AM
Dredgeguy
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 86 Posts

I know many like Zaino and it is a great product but I went a different route 3 years ago and had a professional do the ceramic coating. It cost $775 at that time and took 2 days. First of all the car is washed, then claybar then paint corrected with polish. That alone costs around $500 to have it done correctly. Then after the paint is perfect and I mean perfect, no micro scratches at all, the coating is applied. The shop I used has a cure booth with infrared lights to cure the coating overnight. Normally you need to keep it dry for minimum 5 days but the infrared lights takes care of everything in 24 hours. Nice thing is it now only takes 10 minutes to get ready for a car show or cars and coffee. I just wipe with a damp cloth and dry. Nothing sticks to the paint, it is smooth and has a deep gloss to it. One example is we were driving as a group from MD to Bowling Green for our annual get together. We went through a 2 mile stretch of newly paved road. When we got to the hotel our guys were fighting to get the tar off their cars. All I did was get a towel from my room, put water on it and one easy wipe and it was off. The guys could not believe it.
Yes, pricy but gives you years of protection and with very limited maintenance. Good luck with your decision.

Get notified of new replies

To Zaino vs. Ceramacoat?

Quick Reply: Zaino vs. Ceramacoat?