C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Parasitic draw

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 09:36 AM
Mike66@gmail
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parasitic draw

Hi, The previous owner of the 1991 C-4 basic corvette I have said the battery would drain if it sat for a while ( weeks I think ). So I set up my multi-meter to do the parasitic draw test. Fully charged battery everything shut off no key in the ignition. Then it sat over night negative battery terminal unhooked. So the next day I have the multi-meter set to amps the red lead attached to the negative battery cable and I touch the black COM lead to the negative battery terminal. The left Headlight motor starts spinning. The headlight does not open. What does this mean? The headlights do flip open when everything is hooked up with the key on and I turn them on with the switch. The left headlight motor seems to spin more and make more noise. I think the gear is worn but would this create the parasitic draw from the battery? will appreciate help thanks Mike
Old 01-10-2019, 11:26 AM
3D-Aircrew
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike66@gmail
Hi, The previous owner of the 1991 C-4 basic corvette I have said the battery would drain if it sat for a while ( weeks I think ). So I set up my multi-meter to do the parasitic draw test. Fully charged battery everything shut off no key in the ignition. Then it sat over night negative battery terminal unhooked. So the next day I have the multi-meter set to amps the red lead attached to the negative battery cable and I touch the black COM lead to the negative battery terminal. The left Headlight motor starts spinning. The headlight does not open. What does this mean? The headlights do flip open when everything is hooked up with the key on and I turn them on with the switch. The left headlight motor seems to spin more and make more noise. I think the gear is worn but would this create the parasitic draw from the battery? will appreciate help thanks Mike
Inside the headlight assembly there are switches that must break contact at the end of the cycle. If the motor is spinning that means the gears are stripped and the headlight hadn't reached the limit switch. That will kill a battery.

The following users liked this post:
Mike66@gmail (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 02:21 PM
abuonagura
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Check out a you tube video by flyboysic1. He has a video on a parasitic battery drain on a 91 corvette. Might help explain why the headlight motors spin up.
The following users liked this post:
Mike66@gmail (01-10-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Parasitic draw

Quick Reply: Parasitic draw