C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1985 manual overdrive maintenance after replacing

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 12:12 AM
Bfenty
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts
2017 C4 of Year Finalist
Default 1985 manual overdrive maintenance after replacing

I'm just wrapping up swapping my 1985 OD replacement. The old one burned up the clutches and had low fluid level. Car has about 92k miles on it, about 4k of those are mine. I changed the fluid once but I think the damage was already done, the fluid was black and very low and the OD was slipping.

My question is, what caused it to happen in the first place? The new OD is from my previous 85 and always worked perfectly. I just want to make sure there's not something else on the car that will cause this one to burn up, too. Obviously I'm making sure the fluid level is good (and all-new), and will continue to swap it roughly once a year, along with the manual fluid and rear differential fluid.

Anything else I should do...? Thanks!
Old 01-21-2019, 06:36 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Received 558 Likes on 399 Posts

Realistically the Doug Nash overdrive units are pretty reliable. The early ones are prone to bearing failure, but this was corrected in 86 I believe. At any rate, regular fluid and filter changes are a must. Some guys even replace their fluid and filter yearly. I also ensure that I press the clutch in any time I'm going in or out of overdrive if I can help it. Eases a little bit of the wear and tear on the overdrive unit. I would make sure and use a quality filter and quality trans fluid of your choice as well. Other than that, replace the oil in the T-10 manual trans at an interval that you feel comfortable with as well.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:08 AM
Bfenty
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts
2017 C4 of Year Finalist

So if someone simply ignored the OD for 30 years and 90k, that would be enough to cause trouble? Or should I be looking for trouble elsewhere? It seems like most things affecting the OD are part of the OD, so replacing the unit should be enough to fix it, right?

I just really don't want to burn up another OD unit. I already plan on a yearly fluid change of pretty much everything, no matter the miles. It's easy and cheap and a good way to make sure there aren't problems.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:35 AM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

I had seen this video which was interesting about the unit. It looks very complicated.

Get notified of new replies

To 1985 manual overdrive maintenance after replacing

Quick Reply: 1985 manual overdrive maintenance after replacing