C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Clutch Bleed Screw Broke?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 03:24 PM
cache1
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Clutch Bleed Screw Broke?

I can't quite figure out what is going on with my clutch bleed screw on my 1990. Here's a photo I took with a mirror so I could see the top, where the bleed screw goes. Is the bleed screw sheared off or what? Thanks for the help.

Shouldn't there be a bleed screw here on my clutch cylinder?
Old 01-26-2019, 04:08 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 398 Posts

[QUOTE=cache1;1598763467]I can't quite figure out what is going on with my clutch bleed screw on my 1990. Here's a photo I took with a mirror so I could see the top, where the bleed screw goes. Is the bleed screw sheared off or what? Thanks for the help.

Shouldn't there be a bleed screw here on my clutch cylinder?[/QUOTE

Like you suspect it appears the bleeder is broken / snapped off. You could try to use an easy out and try to remove and get a replacement bleeder or get a new Slave their not to expensive. Don't get me wrong with throwing new parts for minor problem but in the agrevation of getting the easy out cutting knuckles I would swap it unless it was changed not to long ago. Or not bother unless there is a problem that needs bleeding.

Last edited by s carter; 01-26-2019 at 05:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cache1 (01-28-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 10:49 AM
cache1
Advanced

Thanks for confirming my fear. The fluid in my clutch reservoir was nasty dark, so I sucked it out with a turkey baster and got clean fluid in there now, but I'm thinking the line is full of the nasty fluid still. That being said, the clutch feels fine under the foot. So maybe I will just leave it alone for now.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:21 PM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Received 558 Likes on 399 Posts

I would personally replace the slave cylinder and flexible hose and flush the system with clean fluid. Bleeder screws can be tough to extract and having new parts isn't a bad thing.
The following users liked this post:
cache1 (01-28-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 01:39 PM
cache1
Advanced

Originally Posted by mazdaverx7
I would personally replace the slave cylinder and flexible hose and flush the system with clean fluid. Bleeder screws can be tough to extract and having new parts isn't a bad thing.
I agree. I have put this clutch issue project on my perpetually revolving 'to do' list for the vet. There is always something I can be tinkering with on my car. But yeah, I didn't think about replacing the whole line in addition to the slave cylinder. Good suggestion.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch Bleed Screw Broke?

Quick Reply: Clutch Bleed Screw Broke?