Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

88 corvette HELP!!!

Old 03-10-2019, 05:35 PM
Eddie77

Default Reply

Thanks for the info: this is what ive done so far....
My car would just die from time to time...let it sit awhile then it would start..now it starts at times then dies in a few minutes..what ive done so far...code 36 mass air flow came up...
I changed mass air sensor and relay and burn off..
Icm unit..
Fuel pump
Fuel pump relay
New battery
New fuel filter
Still not starting!!
When i spray starting fluid in it it will start for a few seconds..

One of my questions is..i know the mass air flow relay and burnoff and fuel pump relay all serve a different function..but is the relay replacment part for these 3 things the same..
Old 03-10-2019, 07:12 PM
Tom400CFI
CF Senior Member

According the the schematic on Mitchell, they're not the same. The MAF and MAF burn off are the same, but the FP relay is different. According to Mitchell.

Did you ever determine if spark or fuel is your no start problem?
Old 03-10-2019, 08:12 PM
Eddie77

Default Reply

I checked pressure at rail...no pressure
Old 03-10-2019, 08:15 PM
Eddie77

Default Reply

I think i installed a mass air flow sensor relay in the spot of the fuel pressure relay....also i put a new fuel pump in and the car started for a few minutes then died..when trying to restart i cant hear the pump coming on now where i did right after installing it...a couple times id unhook the batt...the car would start a few minutes then die..... a garage Quoted me at $91 an hour to try to find a solution to this that's a bit expensive for my taste and budget at the moment so I'm trying to tackle this on my own

Last edited by Eddie77; 03-10-2019 at 08:27 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:42 PM
Tom400CFI
CF Senior Member

Unplug the fuel pump, at the pump/tank. Stick a test light in there, turn on the ignition. See if you're getting power to the pump for the ~2 seconds and/or while cranking.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:45 AM
ctmccloskey
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Hello Eddie77,

Do the test that TOM400CFI suggested first. Then tell us what happened.

If you can do it safely try applying power to the pump directly IF the pump doesn't turn on. Don't do anything with gasoline fumes around, please! I applied power to the pump watched it run and still I had no pressure. It became obvious that there was a blockage in my case.

You have replaced a lot of parts there my friend! The first and most important thing to get is a set of factory service manuals for your particular year Corvette. They are very useful to both the experienced and not so experienced as they contain a ton of useful information. Unfortunately they are not cheap but they are worth every penny in a tough situation with your Corvette.

Keep the answers to our questions coming! Good Luck. With the great people here at this site somebody will know how to get your Corvette on the road instead of the garage!
Old 03-11-2019, 08:30 PM
cdm747
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Eddie77 View Post
Thank you everyone for your help.....i have 1 more question....is the fuel pressure relay the same as the mass air flow relay....
Meaning are both the relays the same..i.e..i installed a mass air flow relay where the fuel pressure relay spot....i read they were the same unit...
To answer your question they are three separate relays however i believe you were asking if they are the same part number and the answer is yes. According to the Parts and Illustration manual the Fuel Pump relay, the Mass Air Flow relay and the Cooling Fan relay all use the same part number, Chevrolet Part Number 14089936. I believe the picture you posted later is of the Cooling Fan relay.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:06 AM
VETTLIFE

Simply hit terminal G with 12V power and listen to hear the pump running. You'll be able to distinctly hear the pump by putting your ear by the filler door if you hear nothing then the pump isn't receiving power.

Did you install the fuel sock on the end of the pump during install? If not existing debris will jam it up right away. I've had this happen with customer cars before. In one case the fuel sock had come off.

If that's the case pull the pump and bench test 12v away from from the tank and fuel source.

Relays are all the same, I've pulled them in past jobs for more passenger foot well clearance and the order doesn't matter on reinstall.

If your not getting power to the pump did you check the fuse, there's also a fusable link on these cars as well from what I'm reading. Check the wiring for a proper circuit.

Report back your findings.

Last edited by VETTLIFE; 03-12-2019 at 07:19 AM.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:04 PM
Eddie77

Default Thanks everyone

After a month-and-a-half of stressing out and a month and a half of posting on corvetteforum reading all of your replies and all of your help what turned out to be wrong with my Corvette was the fuel pump assembly sender unit.... we came to this conclusion after I done replaced five other things I thought it could be..lol.... but it looks like I will be back on the road this coming spring thanks for all your help everyone...
Old 03-16-2019, 12:16 PM
KyleF
CF Senior Member

Also as a side note please do not send me all these pictures of diagrams and wiring units and all this other crap because I am not a car guy I do not understand it I would like to know is a plain and simple answer of what you feel I might need to change on my car to solve my problem....

I changed mass air sensor and relay and burn off..
Icm unit..
Fuel pump
Fuel pump relay
New battery
New fuel filter

we came to this conclusion after I done replaced five other things I thought it could be..

This does not surprise me. You can throw parts at it and lighten your wallet, or you can learn to troubleshoot with the help of people here. There are not simple answeres without troubleshooting. There are a lot of things that can cause a lack of fuel delivery. Glad you found your issue, but look at what all it cost you. You should start learning how to read the schematics and flow charts. Nobody came out of the womb knowing how, we all had to learn.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 88 corvette HELP!!!

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: