C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Help car keeps dying on start up

Old 02-28-2019, 06:58 PM
kocoach
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help car keeps dying on start up

Hello, I have a 1987 corvette and it has recently a different motor put in but it's around a 1990's don't know the exact year and during the rainy season we just had it has been sitting covered for app. 3to 4 months without being started. Now when I charged it up and tried to start it, it will start right up but then die immediately. Tried it several times same result. I had a person I know who used to own his own shop come over and he put a code reader on it and it came back 1) 46 which is a vats code? and 2) 12. He's not a corvette mechanic so we are both at a loss why it is doing this. He tried to keep the car running until it warmed up and it seemed to be a little better but not like it has been in the past. Is there a reader out there who has experienced this problem or might know why this is happening? Any and all help would be appreciated. I am a 73 year young dis-abled veteran and I can't wait to get behind the wheel once again. Thank You and GOD Bless
Old 02-28-2019, 10:37 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

First I would check fuel pressure to see if the pump is maintaining needed pressure.

Also check manifold vacuum to see if there are any leaks in those old rubber hoses.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:49 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Originally Posted by kocoach
Hello, I have a 1987 corvette and it has recently a different motor put in but it's around a 1990's don't know the exact year and during the rainy season we just had it has been sitting covered for app. 3to 4 months without being started. Now when I charged it up and tried to start it, it will start right up but then die immediately. Tried it several times same result. I had a person I know who used to own his own shop come over and he put a code reader on it and it came back 1) 46 which is a vats code? and 2) 12. He's not a corvette mechanic so we are both at a loss why it is doing this. He tried to keep the car running until it warmed up and it seemed to be a little better but not like it has been in the past. Is there a reader out there who has experienced this problem or might know why this is happening? Any and all help would be appreciated. I am a 73 year young dis-abled veteran and I can't wait to get behind the wheel once again. Thank You and GOD Bless
Of course it is a VATS code. When the tires go flat, it will also be VATS related. Buy the VATS bypass kit and it will be a sunny day every day. VATS gets blamed for just about everything in the C4 which is why they sell the kits. If it starts up immediately and dies, I don't think that is how VATS works. It should not crank if VATS is triggered.

Get a fuel pressure gauge. Pay the deposit to Autozone and check fuel pressure. Turn it to run (no cranking) and see what the pressure is. Turn it off, see if it rapidly drops. Try to crank it and watch what happens. Does it start? If so, does the pressure drop off when it dies? Check the ignition module at Autozone.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:54 PM
kocoach
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you I'll have this person check it out.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:51 PM
csthews
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I had a similar problem on my '95. It was intermittent and would seem to happen if I left the car idle for a few weeks. After about 5 years of trying to figure out the problem, I took the car to a really good corvette mechanic. After searching for a week or so, he found a small nick in a wire from the ignition switch. This wire would occasionally short out and kill the engine. He repaired the nick in the wire and the problem has not resurfaced since. That was 2 years ago.

Get notified of new replies

To Help car keeps dying on start up

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help car keeps dying on start up