C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

how to remove rear spring insulators

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 08:00 PM
Mity2
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default how to remove rear spring insulators

Since I bought my 95, I knew that rear spring insulators - specially the passenger side was in dire need of replacing.
passenger side

Driver side isn't that bad, but still gonna replace it

So I bought Polyurethane replacement from energy suspension(part# 32123G).
So I went to replace it today, and I couldn't get old one off.

I thought if I jack up the rear high enough so that both rear wheels are off of ground, would remove the tension off of leaf spring, and allows me to take old one off relatively easy.

Well, I guess I was wrong, and that rear must be still under load.
I looked in to service book, and it says to use SST J33432-A to compress the spring(which I presume J33432-A is some sort of spring compressor?)

regardless of what it is, I need to find the way to compress the spring enough to take the tension off so that I can take off the old insulator.
What sort of trick do you guys use to do just that?.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:24 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

I just use a small floor jack and a piece of 2x4. Try to catch the metal plate when jacking it and not on the composite material itself. Bottle jacks work well too...
Old 03-02-2019, 08:26 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Car on jack stands with suspicion at full droop. Using floor jack and a block of wood raise end of spring just high enough to take nut off bolt.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:56 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

with both posts above.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:46 AM
BLKMAMBA
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Old 03-03-2019, 10:50 AM
BLKMAMBA
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

I've heard people complain about poly bushings on these cars. not sure what application exactly but I hope you post results after your done with how you like them. ps be careful. that spring has a bunch of tension on it. make sure jack doesn't slip out.. it's pretty easy job, you'll just be surprised of amount of tension. don't knock off stands jacking.good luck
Old 03-03-2019, 12:37 PM
Sleazy Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by 81c3
I just use a small floor jack and a piece of 2x4. Try to catch the metal plate when jacking it and not on the composite material itself. Bottle jacks work well too...
Originally Posted by Kevova
Car on jack stands with suspicion at full droop. Using floor jack and a block of wood raise end of spring just high enough to take nut off bolt.
Originally Posted by 383vett
with both posts above.
Originally Posted by BLKMAMBA
been doing it these ways since the 1980's. quick and it works.
Old 03-03-2019, 01:55 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

I've heard people complain about poly bushings on these cars. not sure what application exactly but I hope you post results after your done with how you like them. ps be careful. that spring has a bunch of tension on it. make sure jack doesn't slip out.. it's pretty easy job, you'll just be surprised of amount of tension. don't knock off stands jacking.good luck
I did mine with VBP poly bushings, no squeaks, no ill effects... Rubber originals were worn into wedge shapes...
Old 03-03-2019, 11:06 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Yeah, poly on these bushings has almost no disadvantage to rubber. Poly sometimes squeaks in applications where it has to twist (control arms and other suspension links). But that isn't an issue on the spring end links. Besides, I'm not sure rubber bushings are even still available. So no worries with poly. To the OP, I've had a set of poly bushings in this location deteriorate too. So check them once a year and be prepared to replace them again eventually. At least they're cheap, and you'll know exactly how to do it the next time!
Old 03-05-2019, 06:15 PM
Mity2
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've heard people complain about poly bushings on these cars. not sure what application exactly but I hope you post results after your done with how you like them. ps be careful. that spring has a bunch of tension on it. make sure jack doesn't slip out.. it's pretty easy job, you'll just be surprised of amount of tension. don't knock off stands jacking. good luck
I did the entire suspension component bushing replaced with polyurethane bushing on my old Miata.

As MatthewMiller mentioned, where twisting motion occurs(i.e. A arms, and sway bar bushing), its gonna squeak. Specially when its cold. The white jizz looking lube they provide do not like cold weather. I think if they come with some sort of grease nipple to lube them periodically, that may help. I do remember some mazda peeps would add grease nipple to A arms, but I'm not sure how they did that.
I think in my Miata's case, other then the squeak, I had no real ill effect. quality of ride did bot diminish, as far as suspensions are concerned.
But with that being said, they do make your ride more harsh - noise as mentioned, and some polyurethane bushing will transmits more vibrations in to a cabin.
I can feel what rear differential was doing at every turn as poly bushing did unmute it(so to speak)
I replaced both torque arm and transmission bushing on my old 93 Camaro Z28, and 97 T/A, and those two bushing transmit quite bit of vibration in to cabin...

Get notified of new replies

To how to remove rear spring insulators

Quick Reply: how to remove rear spring insulators