C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1994 Corvette TPMS changeover question

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 08:13 PM
RISK81
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 1994 Corvette TPMS changeover question

I'm in the process of changing my wheels from factory sawblades to GS A-molds. I believe the system works (light(s) flash during start up indicating that everything is working). I have no lights on while running but I haven't actually driven the car yet (I finally finished the engine rebuild).

My question when I change the wheels should I swap over the tire pressure monitoring sensors?
Is it more hassle than it's worth?
If I swap can I rotate the tires? (I went with 275 all around)
If I don't swap and leave all 4 sensors off will I have a "Service" light on at all times?

Thanks
Old 03-05-2019, 08:28 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,275 Likes on 861 Posts

You sure you even have the sensors from the factory? Only 25% of the cars had them. Check and see if you have UJ6 on your RPO sheet.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:48 PM
RISK81
Advanced

Originally Posted by ChumpVette
You sure you even have the sensors from the factory? Only 25% of the cars had them. Check and see if you have UJ6 on your RPO sheet.
Yes I can confirm I have the UJ6 option
Old 03-06-2019, 08:57 PM
RISK81
Advanced

Old 03-06-2019, 11:07 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 958 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Not a big deal to swap over when getting new wheels. I did it, actually did it on the tailgate of my truck when getting the tires swapped over. That way if they got broke, it was on me.

If you rotate the tires, you would have to remember which you put where. They are just driven off radio signals. Unless the system was super sophisticated, how would it tell where the sensors were ? It could be saying right front when the sensor really is on the left rear. You would just be using it to indicate that a tire was low somewhere.
The following users liked this post:
RISK81 (03-07-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 01:22 AM
Fiberbundle
Burning Brakes

Received 339 Likes on 262 Posts

If you do change the sensors to your new wheels just make sure you have the sensor positioned exactly opposite the valve stem just like originals. This way when you have the tires changed in the future you know to break the bead 90 degrees from the valve so the sensors do not get broken. I am fortunate to still have the decals on my original wheels showing this spot with the break bead here statement.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:12 PM
RISK81
Advanced

Default Rotating Tires

Any foreseeable issues with reinstalling the sensors and in the future rotating the tires? Originally the car had 8.5 and 9.5 wheels now I'll have all 9.5 and 275's. I would like to have the ability to rotate the tires but this would mean changing orientation of the sensors (front to back).

Anyone know if this would trigger a "Service light"?
Old 03-07-2019, 12:15 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

The car doesn’t car where the sensors are. Just that it is receiving a signal from all 4.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:36 PM
Fiberbundle
Burning Brakes

The sensors do relate to the position that is indicated on the TPMS such are "right rear" which is why they are color coded and labeled. However the service light goes on only when a tire is low in pressure not because of position on the car. You have to check codes that are set to see which sensor detected a low pressure warning. Of course as soon as the warning light comes on you are out of the car and can see which tire is low. Position on the vehicle will not cause the light to go on. I have 9.5" on all four corners and rotate the tires with no issues.
RISK81 (03-07-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 04:03 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Fiberbundle
The sensors do relate to the position that is indicated on the TPMS such are "right rear" which is why they are color coded and labeled. However the service light goes on only when a tire is low in pressure not because of position on the car. You have to check codes that are set to see which sensor detected a low pressure warning. Of course as soon as the warning light comes on you are out of the car and can see which tire is low. Position on the vehicle will not cause the light to go on. I have 9.5" on all four corners and rotate the tires with no issues.
My recollection on the later system, is that the Service LTPWS light illuminates if it is not sensed or reporting. The system never told you which tire was low. It illuminated the low tire light. You had to exit the vehicle and look at all 4 tires.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:46 PM
Fiberbundle
Burning Brakes

Yes and no. The Service LTPWS light on the dash does not show which tire is low, however if you jump the ALDL position A & B pins (like checking what is wrong when the service engine light illuminates) or have a Tech 1 analyzer you will have codes stored showing which tire sensor caused the light to go on. Each sensor is colored differently and will set a different code with Orange (RR) setting 23 or 24, Yellow (LR) setting 33 or 34, Green (LF) setting 43 or 44, and the Blue sensor (RF) setting 53 or 54. This was done so techs could tell which sensor was malfunctioning if actual tire pressure was not an issue.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:07 PM
RISK81
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fiberbundle
Yes and no. The Service LTPWS light on the dash does not show which tire is low, however if you jump the ALDL position A & B pins (like checking what is wrong when the service engine light illuminates) or have a Tech 1 analyzer you will have codes stored showing which tire sensor caused the light to go on. Each sensor is colored differently and will set a different code with Orange (RR) setting 23 or 24, Yellow (LR) setting 33 or 34, Green (LF) setting 43 or 44, and the Blue sensor (RF) setting 53 or 54. This was done so techs could tell which sensor was malfunctioning if actual tire pressure was not an issue.
Fiberbundle, thanks for the response. I was wondering what the reasoning was for the color coding. With each sensor having a dedicated location I wasn't sure if the sensors could be displaced to a different location without setting off a indicator light.

I have investigated the self diagnosis feature via the ALDL connector to gain a better understanding of the system.

So just to confirm, as long as the sensors are present (orientation not specific; could be in any location, not color coded defined) I should be ok?

Thanks in advance
Old 03-07-2019, 07:05 PM
Fiberbundle
Burning Brakes

RISK 81, yes you will be OK. The important part is just making sure when tires are changed the person changing the tire breaks the bead at 90 degrees to the valve stem (if the sensor is where it should be). Even then they will sometimes do it wrong and break the housing. Just make sure when you have the tires changed you notify them of the potential cost to replace one so they take EXTRA care. I had Discount Tire break one of mine and they were shocked when the only replacement to be found was in Philadelphia and $375. I always check tire pressure before leaving the house so I do wish the car did not have this option since it is getting harder to find a replacement if something goes wrong.
I also run a second set of wheels with different tires and they do not have the sensors so I learned to just ignore the light although some people have just pulled the bulb on the warning light when they no longer have the sensors.
RISK81 (03-08-2019)
Old 02-09-2020, 06:28 PM
sprink94
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 76 Posts

I have the option on my '94 but get a LPS warning light after a few miles...regardless of the pressure. I'm having balancing issues and wonder if the sensors are worth fooling with at all? Any problem in removing them completely...other than having the warning light on constantly?
Old 02-09-2020, 11:05 PM
Fiberbundle
Burning Brakes

There is no issue removing the sensors in vehicle adversely affecting performance or function. You are correct that the light will be on constantly.
The interesting thing is that your light comes on after driving a few miles. The system should show the light at startup and for approximately a half mile. After that time the rotation of the wheel supplies enough movement to generate the internal sensor power for the sensor in the wheel and light goes out. I have never seen an example of the light going out and then coming on after driving. There is always something new that provides an opportunity for troubleshooting.

Get notified of new replies

To 1994 Corvette TPMS changeover question

Quick Reply: 1994 Corvette TPMS changeover question