C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1995 Corvette LT1 no start

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 09:17 PM
Patrick_66
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Corvette LT1 no start

Took my car to the car wash - no, I didn't wash the engine - and it started right up. Drove it to the vacuums. Dried the car, cleaned it inside, and no start. It turns over fine, and acted like it wanted to start. Had the car hauled home from there, and let it sit a few days. Today, I hooked the fuel pressure gauge up to it, and got 44 pounds of pressure, but still no start. No "security" or "check engine" lights; just the normal lights that are present during start-up.

The car is an LT1 automatic with 161K miles on it, on an unmodified LT1 engine. Stock exhaust and all. Ideas?
Thanks!
Old 03-05-2019, 09:33 PM
Joe K
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 185 Likes on 94 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Check for spark.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:43 PM
Patrick_66
4th Gear

That's next on the list. Don't know why it would simply quit like that, though. It's 38* in my shop, it'll wait til tomorrow! LOL.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:32 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

DIY car wash or automatic car wash...some of those automatic ones will spray under the car causing the opti to get wet.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:19 AM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick_66
.... Don't know why it would simply quit like that, though.....
Optis can quit any time
Old 03-06-2019, 10:02 AM
pacoW
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

That's next on the list. Don't know why it would simply quit like that, though. It's 38* in my shop, it'll wait til tomorrow! LOL.
Fuel pressure is good so next is spark. Optispark's can quit right out but more often I've seen them give up some warning signs first, usually a miss at idle and part throttle. ICM on the other hand, when it goes, it's done, no spark at all. I think you can lookup ICM and coil test or have them tested.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:38 PM
KyleF
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by pacoW
I think you can lookup ICM and coil test or have them tested.
Most part stores have a tester for them.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:11 AM
Patrick_66
4th Gear

Well, I had it running for about 39 miles today...then it died. Again.

I replaced the ICM, which was 30 kinds of dead. I also replaced all eight spark plugs; because in trying to start it previously, the plugs were soaked in fuel. The coil sparks all day long, and the Optispark is fine. The car started right up and idled fine. Took it out and drove it from stop-n-go traffic to 75 mph highway speeds. Got off the exit ramp and the car started dieseling really bad as I was coming to a stop. I had enough momentum to get the car to the shoulder. It started again, but only ran for about three seconds, all that time, dieseling heavily before it quit. NO warning lights or other indicators came on while all this was happening!

So, now I'm back to square one.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:29 AM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

How do you know "the optispark is fine"?
Old 04-04-2019, 09:45 AM
pacoW
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Well, I had it running for about 39 miles today...then it died. Again.

I replaced the ICM, which was 30 kinds of dead. I also replaced all eight spark plugs; because in trying to start it previously, the plugs were soaked in fuel. The coil sparks all day long, and the Optispark is fine. The car started right up and idled fine. Took it out and drove it from stop-n-go traffic to 75 mph highway speeds. Got off the exit ramp and the car started dieseling really bad as I was coming to a stop. I had enough momentum to get the car to the shoulder. It started again, but only ran for about three seconds, all that time, dieseling heavily before it quit. NO warning lights or other indicators came on while all this was happening!

So, now I'm back to square one.
So process of elimination here, start simple. New ICM, you said the old one was dead. These things can get real hot and need that thermal grease underneath, did you do that? Did the coil test good or are we just assuming by looking at a plug attached that showed spark? In general once you're sure coil and ICM are good, wires & plugs are good, ignition issues usually wind up with the opti. The only other thing I might check out would be the cats, potentially being plugged.

Get notified of new replies

To 1995 Corvette LT1 no start

Quick Reply: 1995 Corvette LT1 no start