C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Corsa Mufflers...can you purchase just the mufflers from somewhere....and where??

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2002, 10:53 AM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

Default Corsa Mufflers...can you purchase just the mufflers from somewhere....and where??

I am trying to see if

#1 You can purchase Corsa's Mufflers anywhere...(far as I know.....the Lt1 ones will work on an L-98 car)....some people have modified the L-98 system to make them work....

#2 Going to attempt to ginneypig my car and make my own custom cat back...from what I can tell the mufflers should fit and hang with no modifcations at all.....its just gonna take finding the correct bending pipes to connect the mufflers to the rear Y-pipe.....I have already got one piece bent and clamped on...that was from my original system..so basically Iam just the mufflers and a pipe away from being complete...just curious to how it will sound...and fit....then I can give the guys down at Corsa a call....and say....see what happens when you put your mind to something....it don't take over 5 years to design a simple cat back....lol

so if anyone either knows of a place or has a set of the corsa mufflers...Iam interested...

jeff
Old 11-02-2002, 11:15 AM
tuband
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran

Default Re: Corsa Mufflers...can you purchase just the mufflers from somewhere....and where?? (XtremeVette)

To first clarify ... I doubt that I can provide the answers/help you're looking for but thought I would throw a little info into the mix.

I've never seen the mufflers only available ... but they might be!

I've had my Corsas on for almost a year now (yes, they're great!). The install was very straight forward & easy ... fitment was excellent ... quality was excellent ... etc. etc. I was most impressed with the design of the system that installs between the cats & the rear Y ... it's straight through plus it has a cross over. I'm sure that the absence of resonance in the Corsas system is in large part due to that particular section of the system (as well as the claimed power gains). IMO, I don't think putting Corsa mufflers on an existing cat back system (such as stock) will give the same results as installing the complete system. This is based on a "gut" feeling after comparing the stock system after I removed it to the Corsa system before I installed it. It was this comparison that made me feel even better about the "large" purchase price.

It seems that I remember reading a post about a successful installation of a complete LT1 Corsa system on an L98 ... but I don't know the details. You might want to run a search for that topic.

Corsas are not for everyone but they've been perfect for me ... and I can't remember ever talking to a Corsa owner that didn't like them.

Old 11-17-2018, 10:58 AM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

ttt
Old 11-17-2018, 11:58 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Ive never understood the corsa kool-aid.

stock lt1 pipes are 2.75” in diameter and corsa’s are 2.5” in diameter.

the drone free driving experience is mostly in the mufflers and putting smaller diameter pipes on will definitely help.

when i joined the forum in 2001, corsa’s sold for $895.

now the exact same system sells for like double that.

no more r&d goes into this system for the c4, your money just lines the pockets of someone up top.

at one time corsa was looking into r&d for the c4 - they were considering a lightweight titanium exhaust. That was dropped and again sales of this smaller pipe system just lines the pockets of some up top execs there.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:23 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Couple of things on CORSA....

First, CORSA will not sell you mufflers seperately (unless a warranty issue) as they are intended to work with the whole system including the midrange resonator.
Second, testing has been done showing that the 2.5 CORSA flows better than the stock 2.75. Yes, this defies logic but there is more to exhaust than big pipes. Marc Haibeck (a ZR1 Guru) did a series of testing that bore this out. Check out his site... ZR1Specalist.com for the data points. It has a lot to do with parts being designed to work in concert rather than seperate pieces kludged together.
Third, the $895 advertised in 2001 is $1276 in 2017 dollars using an inflation calculator. I did a quick search and found a full CORSA system for the L98 for $1069 and the LT1 for $1399.

I put a CORSA on my ZR1 about a month ago after much research and I like it very much. I did the install myself in the garage (saving a professional install fee) and the system went together damn near perfect; the only thing I had to mess with was the tips alignment, but all systems would require that. I get a better sound and ZERO drone, which was my big factor in replacing the factory system. There were much cheaper systems, but the reviews (from our peers) universally fell short for fit/finish, installation ease, drone and overall owner experience. I'm a quality over price guy so this was an easy decision.

So....

If you don't want to buy the CORSA system, your best best (IMHO... insert you opinion here) is to buy Magna Flow mufflers and just put them on the end of your pipes. Your 95 allready has the best "free flow" factory resonator allready on, so I'd leave that alone. Howver, I'd consider adding some sound deadening materals under your carpet and make sure your tips extend at least 1 inche beyound the valence as you may get some drone about 1800ish.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:49 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Dynomax used to make a freer flowing set of super turbo mufflers specifically for lt1 corvette. They have the rectangle lt1 tips and look stock. The problem is they dont make them anymore and you have to get lucky on ebay to find them.

This is what i am running on my car. Even with no cats, an x pipe ipo resonator, there was no highway drone with those on my stock lt1 system.

where the stock lt1 exhaust necks to 2.25” at entry point into the stock mufflers, these dynomax super turbo’s (special for lt1 corvette) have bigger diameter elbows

its not a straight thru design, but there is no drone with the stock lt1 exhaust.

i did go to arh’s 3” exhaust system - which does not include mufflers. Its overkill for what i have, but it is a little noisier (a hint of drone on highway).

so the bigger pipes before the mufflers definitely have a negative effect on drone. However im fine with it. Its not bad

Old 11-17-2018, 02:09 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Here is an "After Action" report I did a few weeks back on my install. for those curious.....

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...on-report.html
Old 11-17-2018, 06:00 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Holy old thread.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:39 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
Holy old thread.
wow! I didnt catch that

thats back when the system cost $895 !
Old 11-18-2018, 12:07 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,104 Likes on 876 Posts

I never liked the sound of the original system on my C4 so I went to Corvettes@Carlisle and bought a system from Allen's Stainless exhaust systems. I bought a Cat back Chambered Exhaust system and I absolutely love it. No mufflers and a sound that makes people notice your car. I tell people that it is like having side-pipes sound coming out the back of the car.

When installing the system I changed the factory catalytic converter for a High Flow aftermarket unit. After all was done I noticed a 14 hp improvement in the car's power, probably 99% from the High Flow catalytic. It runs clean and sounds great and has been on the car for 18 years without any issues. I have never noticed any drone like there was on my Cousins 1987 with aftermarket exhaust. I paid less than $500 for the Cat back system from Allen's and I am using the aluminized steel, not the more expensive Stainless Steel.

I am just telling you that there are options out there that don't get mentioned as often. Look into Chambered exhaust systems before you make the jump.

Good Luck with what ever direction you follow! And may your Corvette sound like a Corvette "should sound" when you are done!!

Get notified of new replies

To Corsa Mufflers...can you purchase just the mufflers from somewhere....and where??

Quick Reply: Corsa Mufflers...can you purchase just the mufflers from somewhere....and where??